Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 4 2024 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Fremantle (Read 2664 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 4 2024 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Fremantle

Reply #15
To win like this, at a place where we haven't won since 1972, was magic!
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #16
Fremantle had a good plan for us and nearly pulled it off, credit to them. We need to be better when teams play "keep things off" against us.  Freo exposed our archilles heal also, lack of pace through the midfield. When the game is played on our terms, we get away with it but I believe we need another line breaker or 2 in the team. Finally, the umps had a poor game and too much influence on the game. If someone can explain to me the difference between the holding the balls decisions that went against us and resulted in goals to Freo and the numerous others exactly the same that are let go, you are a better man than me.

Reply #17
We had more inside 50s, more scoring shots and 6 of their 9 goals were from frees but yeah they dominated lol.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #18
Yes lucky to win, but boys persevered and had that late momentum. Great courage and endeavour by Zac Williams to drive that ball into Charlie Curnow for his crucial late goal.

What a change to be travelling in a train of mainly Carlton supporters. No-one hissing either  :)
Then at the game wow,  huge supporter numbers

When Freeo took the ball out on the Eastern wing, they usually had a paddock to work in. We need some outside runners badly!

cheers Ab

Reply #19
Got smashed at the clearances and thought our stoppage work was very average.....Jackson vs TDK was probably a draw.
We never paid much attention to Brayshaw and Clark who I thought were damaging but I felt our forward line with Charlie and the very handy Matt's ..Cottrell and Kennedy took their chances unlike Freo whose tall forwards were well beaten and didnt disappoint me in terms of being the spuds I thought they were.
Freo play a stifling crap brand imo and make it a grind and low scoring affair playing keepings off and hoping to wear you down.
Thought it was a good win given we didnt play well but did the big moments better than they did.
Fogarty will probably get a months holiday for his hit on Fyfe but with Walsh, Martin and Motlop due back it wont affect us too much and Id expect a better result vs the Crows in the next game. Fantasia didnt do a lot and either did Durdin but the latter's tackle work was good and with Fogarty missing I think Durdin might retain a spot in the 23.
8 tackles from Durdin might indeed save his bacon for a week. Still doesn't do enough for mine. Freo played 1 on 1 and strangled our running game but created plenty of run and space for themselves. Voss will need to work on combatting that because all the teams will now try that against us.  If not for poor umpiring at then (the kick was shown to brush Aish's arm before the Cottrell mark), we probably would have lost. Not sure if Fog will go for that, it hit Fyfe in the neck so a free kick is probably about right. We'll see what Chooklotto MRO brings us.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #20
If Kemp gets dropped for Marchy  I will spew

Reply #21
If Kemp gets dropped for Marchy  I will spew
Kamp did a good job and should keep his spot. Marchbank needs game time, preferably in the VFL. When he is fit and confident, we can reconsider the issue.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #22
I stll find it a bit 'bizarre' that a side that was pretty disciplined for 99% of the game lost that discipline in the last minute.
I don't mind 'bizarre' ;)  :D

Reply #23
I find it disingenuous and simply wrong to see our win labelled as a 'steal', or 'controversial' or 'ridiculous'...

Yes, Freo did compress us and play extremely well. However, we did have more inside 50s (narrowly) and 5 more shots on goal, and Freo did get six goals from frees (most there but a couple were not).

Nothing controversial or wrong with our last two goals. Undisciplined actions from a couple of Freo players gave the umpires no alternative other than awarding the two frees resulting in the last goal. All players know that abusing an umpire, and vehemently questioning a decision will get you nowhere, or worse. As Longmuir admitted in his media conference, we are a well drilled side and you cannot give us any chance.

Yes, Freo seemed the better side, narrowly, for most of the game... but we would not go away - character.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #24
I find it disingenuous and simply wrong to see our win labelled as a 'steal', or 'controversial' or 'ridiculous'...

Yes, Freo did compress us and play extremely well. However, we did have more inside 50s (narrowly) and 5 more shots on goal, and Freo did get six goals from frees (most there but a couple were not).

Nothing controversial or wrong with our last two goals. Undisciplined actions from a couple of Freo players gave the umpires no alternative other than awarding the two frees resulting in the last goal. All players know that abusing an umpire, and vehemently questioning a decision will get you nowhere, or worse. As Longmuir admitted in his media conference, we are a well drilled side and you cannot give us any chance.

Yes, Freo seemed the better side, narrowly, for most of the game... but we would not go away - character.
There is footage from up the ground taken from a phone that shows the ball deflect off Aish's upper arm. In any case, as you said a couple of their 6 frees resulting in goals from the top of the square (the Kemp one I recall) were flat out wrong. We gave away a couple of silly ones trying to take on the tackler deep in defence so they were there. They could not have played any better and we pretty much stayed with them all day. Did we steal the win? Probably. Swings and roundabouts.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #25
It was a sea saw match and goals often came against the run of play.

They controlled the first term.
We controlled the 2nd.
We controlled the start of the 3rd, they controlled the end of the 3rd.
In the 4th we started well then they took over then we went all out attack at the end to win.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #26
Ugly, different, scrappy, lucky, narrow, against the tide. No matter what you call it, or how you saw it. A win is a win. Bank the 4 points. Keep practising closing out scenarios. Celebrate the win and congratulate your opponents for a good game.
No more. No less.
Good sides find a way to win. That's what our boys are doing.

Big shout out to Weiters-and Williams-- welcome back to form. Also to the Matts. For finding 5 (?) goals when goals were scarce 👏🏼
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #27
Apparently Clark called the umpire a "cheat" which if true, is a massive no-no which prompted the double free-kick. Going on past performances, Clark could face the tribunal as well for that, they normally frown on that behaviour very strongly.

The mark to Cottrell .......... it would have been very hard not to pay it based on the fact it "may" have grazed Aish's arm or hair, I reckon that happens 100 times in a match and if the umpire does not have a clear view of it then they have no chance of calling it.

As for Kennedy's free kick, Johnson pulled his jumper, it was as clear as day and warranted a free kick. Every week I see Curnow & McKay get their jumpers pulled in an attempt to impede their run at the ball and the umpires miss it.

Added to that, I see jumper grabbing all around the ground in all games, especially the ruck, yet they either miss them or conveniently let them go.

I'd like to see a strong & consistent clampdown on all jumper grabbing (forwards, mids, taggers, rucks & defenders), they have been far too lenient in this area which has lead to the ongoing conjecture of how & when they get paid.

I feel for Freo, they played very well and IMO, were the better team overall but it may have been only a brain-fade at the death that cost them the match.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #28
Under the 90s match ratio method of deciding ladder position we are on top. Only sides above us have played one more game and had a loss.

Reply #29
Fogarty case will be interesting, the interchange side view shows him punching the footy and seemingly making contact with Fyfe's right arm or the footy first, but then Fogarty's left arm / fingers hit Fyfe in the throat.

The media are doing it's best to hang Fogarty and pump up the controversy by showing the blindside view, which makes it looks like Fogarty's right fist hits Fyfe.

The Force Awakens!