Skip to main content
Topic: AFLW 2019 Rd 4: Carlton vs Geelong (Read 7482 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFLW 2019 Rd 4: Carlton vs Geelong

Reply #15
Umpire just handed them the game via a 50m penalty for inside the protected zone.

Bad call.

Misses, 60 to get a goal to win.

That's one rule that needs to be changed, particularly when the offending player's actions are inconsequential.

A disappointing result.  We really snatched defeat from the jaws of victory  :(
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #16
Vescio overrated
Not fit again. Look at her knee. I don't know what she has done, but she didn't have that bandaging last week. He pace is down and she is fumbling. That is damn irritating, but ...
What both she and Tayla Harris need to do more is to lead more and get the sort of marks the Geelong lass was getting.
At least she and Tayla are flying against each other all the time, like they did earlier.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #17
[1]   We really snatched defeat from the jaws of victory today. But when do you kick 5 posters? Especially three so easy ones and a great shot by Tayla Harris that was so unlucky to hit the post on the bounce.
[2]   The weakness in our midfield was very obvious today, especially in the first half. Without Prespakis getting clearances we really struggled to get the ball out of the middle.  Bri Davey moving into the middle helped.
[3]   Our rucks won more taps again today, but we couldn’t get out taps anywhere near our mids. I was thinking that putting Moody in the ruck today against the Geelong talls might have been reasonable: the Geelong lasses couldn’t and didn’t jump, they just bodied their way into the contest. Moody’s ruck style might have been useful. Nichevo. Hindsight is wonderful.
As it was both Downie and Watt struggled to get a kick.
[4]   Abbie McKay wasn’t that bad, but it might take a while to get used to the pace of the game.
[5]   Maddy Prespakis showed her limitations today, as she was very tightly tagged. She was still OK, especially after half time, but the difference was significant. When she is stronger and faster, keeping her down will be more difficult, but at the moment she is a teenager carrying a few extra kgs.
[6]   Umpiring: the number of times our tackles were not rewarded really irritates me. Incorrect disposal, kicking in danger and in the back appear to be extinct. That cost us. I am rather tired of that, to be honest. We need to get the umps out to our club, complain or something. I’m tired of this crap.
[7]   One of the things we need to look into in the next draft is getting more mids and more pace.
[8]   We really struggled with the wind at Geelong. They knew how to play the ground better. Our kicks often missed where they didn’t last week.

Players:
Jess Edwards: Not her best game, but she did work hard in her role.
Jayde van Dyke: her worst game by a long way. She struggled today.
Nik Stevens:   Apart from being concussed and not getting a free, Nik had a very ordinary day. Her ball handling was ordinary, she dropped some crucial marks ad her kicking was less than reasonable. I’d drop her, fit or not, for next week and get work into her. At the moment she is struggling, and she needs a LOT of help. Otherwise the season will be gone, and she won’t have contributed at all.
Kerryn Harrington:   Harrington continues to get a fair bit of the ball, but she struggled early against McWilliams. How they can say that McWilliams was best of ground amazes me: she got one touch after half time.
Gabby Pound:   Gab had probably her best game. She got a lot of ball and provided a huge amount of drive from defence. The Geelong small forwards were totally ineffective against her.
Chloe Dalton:   Another solid game from Chloe. But for being caught in defence, that led to their 2nd goal, she was very good.
Katie Loynes:   Kate didn’t have a big day, but her roving to kick our goal was brilliant. She struggled in the centre square and in the clearances.
Amelia Mullane:   Solid without being spectacular, this was probably her quietest game for us. However, her opponents couldn’t get a goal.
Maddy Prespakis:   Not Maddy’s best game, but she really rose after half time and made an impact.
Rhiannon Watt:   Rhi did well enough in the ruck but struggled around the ground. Unfortunately, we couldn’t appear to get a lot of value from her taps and she got very few possessions.
Tayla Harris:   So near and yet so far. Tayla was almost unbeatable, but her kicking … Every shot she took hit the post, from 3 metres out and from 50 metres out. Incredible.
Darcy Vescio:   Not fit and it was obvious: the pace and agility wasn’t there, nor was the ball handling. But playing from behind wasn’t smart either. She has to lead.
Bri Davey:   Bri played a Captain’s game and was easily the best player on the ground. A 4-quarter player.
Alison Downie:   Did well enough in the ruck but didn’t aim her taps as she can do. She also struggled to get a kick.
Sarah Hosking:   Gave her all, as usual, but was very ineffective. Her defensive work was excellent.
Georgia Gee:   Not as good as last week, but her kicking was much better than some of her team mates.
Abby McKay:   Will be better for the run.
Nat Plane:   Solid without starring.
Lauren Brazzale:   Tried hard and got her share of the ball, but her kicks were not winner today.
Jess Hosking:   Like Sarah, she tried hard. her game was solid, especially early and her tackling was excellent.
Brooke Walker:   A solid contributor
Live Long and Prosper!

harris

Reply #18
The poster by Harris running into the goal square unopposed was deplorable and embarrassing.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #19
In the end one has to ask..."how did we lose???".

Reply #21
That's one rule that needs to be changed, particularly when the offending player's actions are inconsequential.

A disappointing result.  We really snatched defeat from the jaws of victory  :(

Bad rule, ridiculously harsh penalty but definitely the right call - dumb move by Davey.

Reply #22

Kerryn Harrington:   Harrington continues to get a fair bit of the ball, but she struggled early against McWilliams. Hard to stop the delivery that McWilliams got on the lead. How they can say that McWilliams was best of ground amazes me: me too
Gabby Pound:   Gab had probably her best game.Agreed. She got a lot of ball and provided a huge amount of drive from defence. The Geelong small forwards were totally ineffective against her.
Rhiannon Watt:   Rhi did well enough in the ruck but struggled around the ground. Unfortunately, we couldn’t appear to get a lot of value from her taps and she got very few possessions. I was amazed at how slow she looked.
Bri Davey:   Bri played a Captain’s game and was easily the best player on the ground. A 4-quarter player.
Alison Downie:   Did well enough in the ruck but didn’t aim her taps as she can do. She also struggled to get a kick. I thought her ruck work alone made her one of our best players.

Reply #23
I'll give the team and coaches a tip...
KICK BLOODY GOALS! :o
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #24

[6]   Umpiring: the number of times our tackles were not rewarded really irritates me. Incorrect disposal, kicking in danger and in the back appear to be extinct. That cost us. I am rather tired of that, to be honest. We need to get the umps out to our club, complain or something. I’m tired of this crap.

The game started off like there was going to be a crackdown on HTB/incorrect disposal as there bloody well should be.  But by the last quarter it was back to letting players just drop the ball or not bother with trying to dispose of it and calling the ball up.

Reply #25
The sheer lack of holding the ball/incorrect disposal is embarrassing. I reckon 50% of the ball ups around the ground were clear free kicks one way or another.

Geelong won because it was at their ground. Knowing the win is the difference between finding the big sticks, or hitting the big sticks....which we excelled at.

We LOST that game, and thats saying something considering we gave them a half a game head start.

All in all, some positive signs to come out of the game, and we can play with a chip on our shoulder next week and dominate the old foe.

Reply #26
I wasn't a fan of the AFLW comp last year mainly due to the lack of basic skills that are below local U16s IMO. 

So as I'm getting impatient waiting for the real season to start and after hearing some in the media saying the game is a better spectacle this year, scoring more with general skills have improved I wanted to give it another chance.

Well i watched closely from the 2nd quarter and maybe i need glasses but i just dont see it......nothing for the better has changed for me. While I can see they try hard and endeavor is definitely there, the reality is at the risk of being labelled as negative, when you see 3 times players missing running goals with no pressure 10 metres straight in front and most that cant even execute a simple bounce on the run, sorry but to be brutally honest I spent more time laughing then cheering.

Between AFLX and AFLW the current preseason viewing is painful to say the least. Round 1 of the real game cant come quickly enough for me  (and for those that say 'don't watch it then' trust me I wont be)  ;)

Reply #27
@shawny...
Bad example to get a new perspective on aflw.

Watch our game last week and it resembles very little the performances trotted out this week.

I'm not sure if it was the freakish wind down there but we looked like 2 different sides.

Reply #28
Agreed - doesn't work hard enough most of the time.

Much more competitive in 3rd qtr today but still overrated.
Vescio reminds me of Troy Menzel. Freakishly talented, lazy as all get out. Reading too many articles about herself me thinks. Too much rockstar attitude, not enough footballer attitude.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #29
Vescio reminds me of Troy Menzel. Freakishly talented, lazy as all get out. Reading too many articles about herself me thinks. Too much rockstar attitude, not enough footballer attitude.
Disagree on that perception.

Watch the video on her and her family. Can't recall what it's called but it's the same thing Jack did about checking his roots in Italy.

She is a very humble and respectful young lass who gets embarrassed when people talk her up. She uses humour and her bubbly nature to get others up around her.