Skip to main content
Topic: AFLW 2019 Rd 5: Carlton vs Collingwood (Read 3728 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFLW 2019 Rd 5: Carlton vs Collingwood

Reply #15
That moves us into 2nd on the conference b ladder.

Geelong are a game and 0.7% in front of us to hold 1st. How a couple of posters last week could've changed things!

Big game next week vs Brisbane who are equal wins with us but 18.2% behind. Winner should be a game and % clear of 3rd going into the last round.

GWS play tomorrow against the expected winners Melbourne, but theoretically would leapfrog brisbane with a win, and potentially us with a big win. Albeit both unlikely.

Reply #16
[1]   I am not the most neutral of observers, but the Umpiring is really getting on my nerves. The number of times we did NOT get frees for tackles too high, when Collingwood got them for being tackled breast high, I lost count of. LoveNavy noted two of the worst ones in the last few minutes. Also, the Collingwood rucks basically pushed ours in the back, sometimes entirely out of the contest, regularly. Alison Downie would have two hand shaped marks on her back when she has her ice bath tonight. It was just ridiculous and must be getting close to requiring an official complaint. Personally, I didn’t like the way the umps signalled ‘play on’ every time Bree Davey tried to break through a pack, but that is a rod they made for their own backs. To say that our tackles are not rewarded, I’m not going to bring that up again.
[2]   I was really disappointed in the way we played in the second and third quarters. Terrible. Our whole structure fell apart.
[3]    I am really happy to see the way we fought back in the last quarter.
[4]   Darcy Vescio had her best game for a long time. But her set shot kicking, once a strength, has let her down terribly. But the way she lifted and got into the game this week was what I have been hoping for all season.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #17
re umpires....

I'm not sure if the rules are different from the mens game, but if a player with the balls attempts to take on a player, instead of trying to dispose of the ball, and they are tackled (legally) then its holding the ball/incorrect disposal. So many times this year a player has tried to take on one of our girls and they might even get around, or fend of one, then they're tackled and its 'play on' or ball up. No. That is wrong.

Head high tackles are also frustrating when they go against you consistently, but to be fair, some of them the umpires are simply in a position where they cannot see them. I'd rather no call, than a 'guess' being wrong.

While we are at it, the Vescio tackle that gave away a free kick (and goal) right on the siren (3/4?) for too high....did anyone else see high contact? Didn't see a replay, but to me there didn't appear to be any high contact at all....like not even on the shoulder.  ???

Reply #18
The umpiring is atrocious.  It’s almost as if they have been instructed only to pay every third or fourth free.

High tackles are a lottery; Darcy’s wasn’t high and we missed out on two obvious frees inside 50 in the last quarter ????
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #19
Just throwing it out there. When was the last time we won games in the mens and womens game the same week?

Just throwing it out there. We beat both the bombers and the pies in the space of 3 days.

I could get used to this winning thing.

Reply #20
The umpiring is atrocious.  It’s almost as if they have been instructed only to pay every third or fourth free.

High tackles are a lottery; Darcy’s wasn’t high and we missed out on two obvious frees inside 50 in the last quarter ????

Worse than atrocious....

Makes an already ordinary spectacle entirely unwatchable imo.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #21
Worse than atrocious....

I was being kind  ;)

I’m enjoying this AFLW season (apart from the umpiring).  The standard has improved and some great new talent has been unearthed.  The secret, for me, is to treat it as a different game to men’s footy and enjoy it for what it is.  Another couple of years and it will be a great spectacle - provided they fix the umpiring.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #22
Worse than atrocious....

I think it's a deliberate act to adjust the umpiring to prevent too many stoppages. I accept that it appears to be outside the rules, but there are so few girls who can break/shrug tackles or get clean disposals away under pressure that if they didn't call play on we'd be in a rolling maul for most of the game time. If the umpired like this for the men players like Cripps, Franklin and Dangerfield would be on another level to everyone else.

The only thing I have a real gripe with is they are less strict of the prior opportunity thing, we see girls get run down and they are still allowing them a couple of seconds to dispose, as opposed to the men who are immediately pegged(Which is the way I assume we all think it should be once you've carried the ball for even a step or two and get effectively tackled it should be penalised.)

Of course the inconsistency is a killer, Pies fans would be livid about that last quarter free inside our F50 to Walker for the tackle, there must have been two dozen of these throughout the game that were not rewarded, why then?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #23
I was being kind  ;)

I’m enjoying this AFLW season (apart from the umpiring).  The standard has improved and some great new talent has been unearthed.  The secret, for me, is to treat it as a different game to men’s footy and enjoy it for what it is.  Another couple of years and it will be a great spectacle - provided they fix the umpiring.
If we could stop hitting the post, we would be smashing everyone.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #24
If we could stop hitting the post, we would be smashing everyone.

....well except North....but nobody can get close to them.

So i wrote that and decided to check how they went today and noticed that the crows thumped them.....and we were beating the crows.
Perhaps we aren't as bad as we appear?