Skip to main content
Topic: Australian Open 2017 (Read 14835 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Australian Open 2017

Reply #15
Novak down a set for first time in ages, wait for it.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #16
Based on talent, Kyrgios is a great player. When he actually bothers, he constructs points beautifully and has every shot you could wish for. It's a shame that he can't get into the headspace required to be a consistently good player. I don't know if his problem is nature or nurture, but he is both infuriating and exhilarating to watch.

And there's a good reason Stosur rhymes with poser.

Reply #17
Sir Andy not getting his own way against Zverev Snr and at his petulant best towards his own box. Feck me people reckon Kyrios is bad. If there is one sportsperson I could punch in the face, Sir Andy would be it.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #18
I didn't watch the games but I did see some of Ash Barty's and Bernard Tomic's press conferences.  Both were gracious in defeat and fully engaged with the media.  It was quite refreshing.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #19
I didn't watch the games but I did see some of Ash Barty's and Bernard Tomic's press conferences.  Both were gracious in defeat and fully engaged with the media.  It was quite refreshing.
Its interesting, this morning I had SEN on in the background and the tennis show was on. I think I heard correctly but they were saying Boris Becker  either rang Novak and told him or he made comments in the media to the effect that Novak needs to c--- up and get the crowd against him. Basically is too nice. Did I hear correctly? Did anyone else hear it?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #20
Its interesting, this morning I had SEN on in the background and the tennis show was on. I think I heard correctly but they were saying Boris Becker  either rang Novak and told him or he made comments in the media to the effect that Novak needs to c--- up and get the crowd against him. Basically is too nice. Did I hear correctly? Did anyone else hear it?

Yes, they were talking about it on Ch 7.  Djokovic apparently wasn't impressed.  He has won $108M so far so I'm not sure that he needs to change all that much  :)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #21
Sir Andy not getting his own way against Zverev Snr and at his petulant best towards his own box. Feck me people reckon Kyrios is bad. If there is one sportsperson I could punch in the face, Sir Andy would be it.

Yep, its an example of the casual racism that exists in our society.

All the south eastern european types are held to a standard that almost no one can measure up to, yet the anglos get a pass because they are simply passionate about their careers.

Kyrgios may have not played all that well this year, but he was hardly as bad as advertised, and to put that in perspective the bloke that knocked him out just lost to Wawrinka in 3 sets, each of them going to a tie breaker.

If Andy Murray was Andreas Marionovic there would be hell to pay with him behaving like that.

Remeber Lleyton blaming losing on the playing surface at the Aussie Open??  That was more disrespectful that simply getting angry at your coaches box.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #22
Big difference between Hewitt and Kyrios.  Hewitt never gave up on a point, let alone tanked games or sets.  And no one ever questioned how he trained and prepared for the tennis year and for tournaments and matches.  No one ever questioned whether he wanted to get the best out of himself in his tennis career.  Hewitt and Kyrios are in fact on opposite ends of the determination and dedication scale.

One of the biggest sins in sports is a professional sportsman who tanks.  When Kyrios walks to his chair as his opponent is serving, he sets himself up for contempt.  Tanking is prohibited by the ATP.  That may be mostly down to betting issues, but it also mirrors the attitudes of tennis fans.

No doubt Hewitt and Murray have had their meltdowns on the tennis court but they never tanked as a result.  Murray's play used to be detrimentally affected by his outbursts and anger while Hewitt actually played better when he felt the world was against him.  But the meltdowns were more a reflection of their desperation to win rather than a lack of interest and focus as it is with Kyrios.

If Kyrios just broke a few racquets but busted his guts to win, most fans would forgive him for some bad behaviour.  But tanking adds an unforgivable 2nd strike.  That said, if he grows up and gives his best, Aussies will quickly embrace him.

Reply #23
By the way, we shouldn't forget that Hewitt lost a lot of Aussie fans for good because of his outbursts even though he's a blond haired and blue eyed bogan who would have been as comfortable in Home & Away as his missus.  On the other hand, Pat Rafter was universally loved.

In the same way, I'd imagine that Roger has far more fans here than Sir Andy.

Reply #24
Yep, its an example of the casual racism that exists in our society.

All the south eastern european types are held to a standard that almost no one can measure up to, yet the anglos get a pass because they are simply passionate about their careers.

Kyrgios may have not played all that well this year, but he was hardly as bad as advertised, and to put that in perspective the bloke that knocked him out just lost to Wawrinka in 3 sets, each of them going to a tie breaker.

If Andy Murray was Andreas Marionovic there would be hell to pay with him behaving like that.

Remeber Lleyton blaming losing on the playing surface at the Aussie Open??  That was more disrespectful that simply getting angry at your coaches box.

Murray is not Anglo; he's a Celt.  We may look similar but don't lump us all together ;  Kyrgios has Malayan ancestry too.

I understand what you're getting at though Thry.  I wonder how Kyrgios would be treated if he was a little more conservative in his appearance.

Did you hear Daria Gavrilova explain how she used a toilet break to regain her composure?

"Well, I went to the bathroom. I think I was losing my cool a little bit in the second set," Gavrilova said.

"I told myself, 'just try and be composed. Don't do what you did last year'. I told myself to be really focused and play a tough point every point."

I know it's not part of the game now but I wonder if giving players the opportunity to call a time out would reduce the temper tantrums and bad behaviour.

Reply #25
By the way, we shouldn't forget that Hewitt lost a lot of Aussie fans for good because of his outbursts even though he's a blond haired and blue eyed bogan who would have been as comfortable in Home & Away as his missus.  On the other hand, Pat Rafter was universally loved.

In the same way, I'd imagine that Roger has far more fans here than Sir Andy.
I am sure someone will probably shoot this down however in my mind, Roger is the model sportsperson (like Pat Rafter was before him). He rarely complains, rarely looks at/communicates with his box, rarely argues with the umpire and doesn't use tactics to unsettle his opponent. He simple goes about his business and win or lose, his behavior is the same. Kyrios could do well and take a leaf or 10 out of Rogers book.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #26
Roger was well known for his tantrums in his teenage years...
"...that's the thing about opinion - you don't have to know anything to have one..."  Andre Agassi commenting on Pat Cash 2004
"...the less you know - the more you believe..." - Bono 2006

Reply #27

Yes, and some of his post losing match press conferences have been notable for his refusal to acknowledge that his opponent played better tennis.

Reply #28

Not sure you can justify the behavior of a 21 year old Kyrgios by referencing the behavior of 16 year old Federer.

Perhaps Kyrgios' parents should take away his pocket money! :D
The Force Awakens!

Reply #29
And there's a good reason Stosur rhymes with poser.

What a cheap shot...and this time last year another poster on this site accused her of having mental issues!!

Sam Stosur's record is fine - she has been a Top 25 player for the best part of 10 years, not a bad effort and there are a lot of players who can't boast that.

Out of all the court surfaces, the ones used in Australia give her the most trouble...she hates them, but never complains.

Have a look at her end of year player ranking (keeping in mind in 2007 and 2008 she was suffering from Lyme disease):

2016 #21
2015   #27
2014   #23
2013   #18
2012   #9
2011   #6
2010   #6
2009   #13
2008   #52
2007   #46

As Andre Agassi once said: "that's the thing about opinion, you don't have to know anything to have one..."
"...that's the thing about opinion - you don't have to know anything to have one..."  Andre Agassi commenting on Pat Cash 2004
"...the less you know - the more you believe..." - Bono 2006