Skip to main content
Topic: Mundine - Green, should cheats prosper? (Read 14644 times) previous topic - next topic

Mundine - Green, should cheats prosper?

It's sad reading and listening to the rhetoric today about the recent battle of the prehistoric mammals. It seemed to me to be a sub-standard fight that was akin to two past-it bulls reliving the old days.

But even more disturbing for me is the result, the reason for the result, and the subsequent complaining.

A deliberate cheap shot taken early in the match, well outside the spirit of good sportsmanship, designed to level the playing field. Should not be rewarded with victory. It seems one of the three judges thought so, and despite Mundine finishing the match in better physical condition he should not have been rewarded for what I see as deliberate cheating.

Even sadder, old beaten around the ring boxers coming out and joining the chorus. They discount the bad behaviour and only care about the outcome.

Perhaps Mundine got the physical victory, but it does matter how you get a win! If that isn't the case the next person to fight him should feel free to take a shovel the ring and end him at the first bell!
The Force Awakens!

Re: Mundine - Green, should cheats prosper?

Reply #1
Mundine won the fight.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #3
Should he have been disqualified in the first round?

Under the rules the answer is no but I believe that the rules should be stronger.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #4
Under the rules the answer is no but I believe that the rules should be stronger.

Was it a coward punch in the first 30s that allowed Mundine to stay in the match for eight rounds?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #5
Mundine won the fight.

Not in my opinion.

I couldn't be happier.......whats better then seeing  Mundine lose... watching his face when he was certain like many others that he won the fight.   :D :D.......oh well  ;D

And for those who say Green was lucky, look again at Mundine's illegal punch which clearly concussed Green in the opening round and ask yourself honestly was that handled correctly by the ref ?? 
As a min Green should have received a 5 min medical time out, but no Green is then forced to his corner and still concussed forced to battle the next 9 rounds at half the awareness he would have had because of an illegal hook to the jaw. The fact all they did was deduct 1 single point just shows how rigged and farcical the boxing caper has become. I was certain when i watched his legs failing under him Mundine had the fight.  But Mundine still couldn't drop Green and he was was still up after 10 rounds. His victory speech when he asked the crowd to cheer for Mundine shows the difference between these 2 characters.

And what did Mundine do - he took off out of the ring, without showing an ounce of respect for his opponent. 

Should form a friendship with Kyrgios in his retirement - they would get along very well.

Reply #6
It's sad reading and listening to the rhetoric today about the recent battle of the prehistoric mammals. It seemed to me to be a sub-standard fight that was akin to two past-it bulls reliving the old days.

But even more disturbing for me is the result, the reason for the result, and the subsequent complaining.

A deliberate cheap shot taken early in the match, well outside the spirit of good sportsmanship, designed to level the playing field. Should not be rewarded with victory. It seems one of the three judges thought so, and despite Mundine finishing the match in better physical condition he should not have been rewarded for what I see as deliberate cheating.

Even sadder, old beaten around the ring boxers coming out and joining the chorus. They discount the bad behaviour and only care about the outcome.

Perhaps Mundine got the physical victory, but it does matter how you get a win! If that isn't the case the next person to fight him should feel free to take a shovel the ring and end him at the first bell!

Wasn't deliberate cheating. The referee, while breaking the fighters, didn't actually come between them to break them, hence Mundine may not have picked that up coming out of half a headlock. It was basically a late punch and he duly got deducted a point but it wasn't a a deliberate cheap shot. Green certainly didn't see it as a deliberate cheap shot.

Felt Mundine won reasonably comfortably but after a great rivalry 1-1 isn't a bad result.

Reply #7
I'll post what I think, then leave this debate.

I'm a big fan of boxing, a long term fan, and I've seen a lot of very ordinary things happen in the ring. But that coward punch was as bad as any, and the way the rest of the match proceeded was as bad as any.

Pretty much all of Green's good work on deriding the coward punch was unravelled by the likes of Fenech and Michael coming out and rallying behind Mundine's victory claim, it's a disgrace.

In my opinion Mundine should be banned from boxing, if he is allowed to box again, and if the boxing authorities don't take a serious stance. Then boxing should be banned in Australia, and it hurts me to write that, but I'd take the same stance in MMA, UFC, or any other contact sport so I must not be a hypocrit!

PS: I don't accept any excuses for Mundine, he was looking straight at the referee prior to the separation and punch, he isn't some green horn or newbie. Mundine new exactly what he was doing, it was deliberate, cowardly and cheap plain and simple.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #8
I'll post what I think, then leave this debate.

I'm a big fan of boxing, a long term fan, and I've seen a lot of very ordinary things happen in the ring. But that coward punch was as bad as any, and the way the rest of the match proceeded was as bad as any.

Pretty much all of Green's good work on deriding the coward punch was unravelled by the likes of Fenech and Michael coming out and rallying behind Mundine's victory claim, it's a disgrace.

In my opinion Mundine should be banned from boxing, if he is allowed to box again, and if the boxing authorities don't take a serious stance. Then boxing should be banned in Australia, and it hurts me to write that, but I'd take the same stance in MMA, UFC, or any other contact sport so I must not be a hypocrit!

PS: I don't accept any excuses for Mundine, he was looking straight at the referee prior to the separation and punch, he isn't some green horn or newbie. Mundine new exactly what he was doing, it was deliberate, cowardly and cheap plain and simple.

I don't care what you accept, wouldn't take it seriously anyway. Sometimes you can really dribble crap.

Have another look then. It was a late shot but certainly not deliberately late as they were tied up in a clinch. Any idiot knows that.

Reply #9
Was it a coward punch in the first 30s that allowed Mundine to stay in the match for eight rounds?

They fought a decade ago in their primes and Mundine thrashed him. I don't like him but he is a better boxer than Danny Green.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #10
I dont like Mundine but I too thought he won the fight on clean point scoring punches, I watched a replay and I thought it was a messy fight with little damage to either fighter and wondered about the validity of the fight. Green came harder early like he did in the first fight but didnt land much even though the punches thrown looked impressive but they didnt hit much. Mundine seemed happy to counter punch, weave away and then hold on when it was in close, I felt he should have been penalised for holding on more than he was early. He was the fitter man in the end and Green was sucking in the big breaths as Mundine picked him off with some good counter punches...
It was almost like the two fighters agreed not to hurt each other and just pocket the 10 mill...

Biggest disgrace was the Quade Cooper vs the Milkybar kid fight..not sure how that was ever sanctioned...the Cooper camp must have said find me something I can beat up on that cant fight back and will have blown out after one round....Cooper was a foot taller and at least looks like a fighter , Jack McInnes had more rolls of fat on him than Doris the Pig at the Royal Melbourne Show. 22 year old??...I'd be checking that kids birth certificate, looked about 16....
Lucky he didnt get badly hurt...a real Pro would have bashed that kid senseless...

Reply #11
They fought a decade ago in their primes and Mundine thrashed him. I don't like him but he is a better boxer than Danny Green.

Agree..Mundine is the smarter technical boxer and Green the street fighter looking for the big payday punch....the former just keeps away from the big glory punches early and then uses his fitness and skill to rack up the points later in the fight...
Like I said in the other post I reckon this fight might have had a bit of scripting and WWE theatre about it ...

Reply #12
Green won the fight!!!
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #13
I don't care what you accept, wouldn't take it seriously anyway. Sometimes you can really dribble crap.

Have another look then. It was a late shot but certainly not deliberately late as they were tied up in a clinch. Any idiot knows that.

Are you barking serious ?
MAYBE YOU should have another look. GREEN WASNT EVEN FACING Mundine. The ref separated them and Mundine hit him from BEHIND.
Green never even saw it coming. There is cheap shots and there are cheap shots. Mundine should count himself lucky he wasnt disqualified for it.

Mundine may well have won the rest of the fight but I'd  like to see any boxer past or present get that punch in the same circumstances and go on to fight !
Too little and Way too late. Pull your fingers out boys!!