Skip to main content
Topic: Mundine - Green, should cheats prosper? (Read 15083 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Mundine - Green, should cheats prosper?

Reply #30
As expected Mundine wants another payday in Perth, says he wants to whip Greens Ar$e in front of friends and family, Green at the moment saying he is happy to retire a winner...but we all know a pug will never knock back a big pay cheque so my money is on a rematch at years end.

Reply #31
As some may be aware there was a few blokes streaming the fight on facebook. Foxtel threatened to take them to court for breach of copyright.
They have since backed off, just wanting those involved to message the masses and say that its wrong.

The stream i stumbled across 150k+ viewers....and there were others as well. Should show foxtel that people are fed up with their service.

Reply #32
Folks would probably still take the crooked feed even if Foxtel offered a terrific service....but they do need to get their act together and start offering better options.
We seem to be light years behind pay for view in other countries and the streaming services like Stan and Netflix must be doing them some damage (even if their services aren't as good as similar overseas products)

Reply #33
Folks would probably still take the crooked feed even if Foxtel offered a terrific service....but they do need to get their act together and start offering better options.
We seem to be light years behind pay for view in other countries and the streaming services like Stan and Netflix must be doing them some damage (even if their services aren't as good as similar overseas products)

Everyone I know just goes on their Android TV box and gets most things including sport for Zilch, that fight was on ESPN in the USA so I'm guessing it had a lot more illegal viewers than just the Foxtel stream from Aus...Foxtel is doomed in Aus IMO.

Reply #34
Most deaths in boxing have been more due to dehydration and rapid weight loss than actual knock outs.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #35
Everyone I know just goes on their Android TV box and gets most things including sport for Zilch, that fight was on ESPN in the USA so I'm guessing it had a lot more illegal viewers than just the Foxtel stream from Aus...Foxtel is doomed in Aus IMO.

I gave up on Foxtel a few years ago and I agree, it's on borrowed time. If we could get a pay per view footy channel up and running it would be fantastic ( if cost effective) and would deal a major blow to Foxtel.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #36
Most deaths in boxing have been more due to dehydration and rapid weight loss than actual knock outs.

Really?  Not according to the scientific literature, for example:

There were 339 mortalities between 1950 and 2007 (mean age, 24 ± 3.8 years); 64% were associated with knockout and 15% with technical knockout. A higher percentage occurred in the lower weight classes. The preterminal event occurred in the ring (61%), in the locker room (17%), and outside the arena (22%), We evaluated for significant changes after 1983 when championship bouts were reduced from 15 to 12 rounds.

That's from an article "Mortality resulting from head injury in professional boxing" published in Neurosurgery in Nov 2010.  Interestingly, the authors found a  significant decline in mortality after 1983 and they hypothesise that the decline is the result of "a reduction in exposure to repetitive head trauma (shorter careers and fewer fights), along with increased medical oversight and stricter safety regulations".
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #37
I don't know what happened in the 50s and 60s (refs used to let fights go on too long eg Emile Griffith v Benny Paret) but in the last 20 years most deaths have been smaller fighters who cut tremendous amounts of weight. The bigger guys hit a lot harder but there are less deaths.

Danny Green used to cut a lot to make super middlewight and after a fight he apologised to all the fans for losing despite winning every round and hardly getting hit. He didn't know where he was and later collapsed in the dressing rooms.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #38
For all the people suggesting Mundine won the fight.

Can you explain this....

Reply #39
For all the people suggesting Mundine won the fight.

Can you explain this....

I'm not suggesting that Mundine won but there are some anomalies.  The referee who scored the fight 98-90 for Green seems to have been watching a different fight. He also gave Green 10 points for the round in which he was penalised a point for elbowing.

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #40
Not all punches are equal. Defense and ring generalship come into it. I post on an american boxing board and they all hate Mundine because of the 9/11 comments. Not one person had Green winning.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #41
I'm not suggesting that Mundine won but there are some anomalies.  The referee who scored the fight 98-90 for Green seems to have been watching a different fight. He also gave Green 10 points for the round in which he was penalised a point for elbowing.

Which round was Green done for elbowing?

I was watching via illegal facebook feed, and it dropped out briefly a couple of times.

Sure, you can get a round wrong every now and then, but ultimately, the end result was the correct one IMO.

Reply #42
Not all punches are equal. Defense and ring generalship come into it. I post on an american boxing board and they all hate Mundine because of the 9/11 comments. Not one person had Green winning.

My issue with Mundines fight was that he was constantly looking for the counterpunch. He had his right hand cocked the whole fight, but almost never threw it.
If you lose a point in the first round, and are pretty convincingly losing the earlier rounds, you need to be seen to be more aggressive and force the judges to think who deserves the points.

I don't know what he was waiting for, but even in the last round he didn't seem aggressive enough to me. Perhaps he thought he was winning the whole fight and was trying to save it? I dunno, but punching stats show that while you could potentially try and make a case for him, it is far from convincing.

Reply #43
Which round was Green done for elbowing?

Seven.

Reply #44
My issue with Mundines fight was that he was constantly looking for the counterpunch. He had his right hand cocked the whole fight, but almost never threw it.
If you lose a point in the first round, and are pretty convincingly losing the earlier rounds, you need to be seen to be more aggressive and force the judges to think who deserves the points.

I don't know what he was waiting for, but even in the last round he didn't seem aggressive enough to me. Perhaps he thought he was winning the whole fight and was trying to save it? I dunno, but punching stats show that while you could potentially try and make a case for him, it is far from convincing.

Boxing has a very flawed scoring system in that one fighter can dominate and win 5 rounds by a wide margin and lose 7 rounds by a razor close margin and correctly lose the fight.

Also casual fans tend to favour the aggressor because they have less appreciation for the defensive aspect of the sport. Floyd Mayweather v Manny Pacquiao was a perfect example of this, I'm a big Pacquiao fan but he clearly lost a one sided fight but on facebook thousands of people were outraged calling it a robbery and that Mayweather was running.

I scored the Mundine Green fight round by rounds but I lost my bit of paper. (We have just had another baby who also has been in the children's hospital.) I will rescore the fight again when I get time.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!