Skip to main content
Topic: The Brisbane Test (Read 14036 times) previous topic - next topic

The Brisbane Test

Starc strikes, Cook out.

1/2.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Re: The Brisbane Test

Reply #1
Excellent catch by Handscomb but I was surprised that the keeper didn't go for it.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #2
Nothing at all in the pitch. Seems to be a regular things in Australian summers recently.

Reply #3
Not surprised that Mitchell is moving on...  serves up a road for the first test.  Given what our blokes face overseas we are far too sporting a nation... pace heavy attack and he serves that crap up.  No wonder test cricket is struggling.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #4
Lack a fifth bowler who can break partnerships........Starc and crew are traditional bowlers, we lack that Mitchell Johnson aggressive  bowler who can intimidate and get wickets with invention and less conventional methods.
Credit to England though...Vince looks a classy player with a real tight technique and Stoneman is that fighting type who wont give his wicket away cheaply and will take a few hits to the body and not flinch..

Not sure Lyons rubbish talk pre-match did us much good either, looked like it only hardened the Poms up a bit...expect us to do better after lunch with some more planning...I got the idea we thought  just 4 bowlers and rolling our arms over would be enough to run through the no name English batsman...

Reply #5
Locals think it's a good toss to win, lately they think the pitch becomes harder to bat on by the 3rd or 4th day.

The opposite of what we are used to up there.

I don't give a stuff how fast or accurate they are, if you cannot do something with the pill in otherwise ideal batting conditions you are an average bowler. This is the difference between bowlers like Lillee, McGrath, Hadlee, Dev, Khan, Flintoff, Botham, Garner, Roberts, Ambrose, etc., were so much better than average.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #6
Those who claim 'everybody' doctors pitches to benefit their side have obviously not batted much in Australia. In recent years we have dealt up a LOT of roads, some of them real Freeways. Maybe they are worried we might find a batsman?
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #7
How do you end up with a Gabba pitch that does nothing for the bowlers on the first day.

F me!

Reply #8
How do you end up with a Gabba pitch that does nothing for the bowlers on the first day.

F me!

Reckon the English have batted well, we just lack the usual aggression both in the field and with our planning....
Smiths field placing have been strange...watching no third slip but Lyon fielding in a wide third man where the ball isnt looking like going there.
We dont seem to have figured Vince is going to cart anything full but for some reason wont attack his body...I have seen him lift his back leg
when the ball is short and I'd be attacking his body more...
Zero planning IMO and just an expectation that England will fold up....

Reply #9
Reckon the English have batted well, we just lack the usual aggression both in the field and with our planning....
Smiths field placing have been strange...watching no third slip but Lyon fielding in a wide third man where the ball isnt looking like going there.
We dont seem to have figured Vince is going to cart anything full but for some reason wont attack his body...I have seen him lift his back leg
when the ball is short and I'd be attacking his body more...
Zero planning IMO and just an expectation that England will fold up....

Still nothing in the pitch. Reckon I can bat well on it.

Reply #10
Still nothing in the pitch. Reckon I can bat well on it.

Reckon If Johnson and Steyn were bowling England would be 5 for not many......these two batsman average less than 30 in test cricket, they are county hackers.
Starc and Hazlewood have been getting hat tricks and wickets galore in shield cricket, just been off in intensity IMO...no fire at all..
You would make runs today. ;)...been that many half volleys....

Nice ball from Cummins..seamed back nicely......

Reply #11
Reckon If Johnson and Steyn were bowling England would be 5 for not many......these two batsman average less than 30 in test cricket, they are county hackers.
Starc and Hazlewood have been getting hat tricks and wickets galore in shield cricket, just been off in intensity IMO...no fire at all..

Not sure they would be. Too easy to bat on.

To me it was just like bowling a tennis ball at brick walls. Nothing in the pitch was helping the bowlers. If County hackers were getting runs then it shows the pitch is easy to bat on. Our bowlers aren't exactly crap. As a group are the best going around.

Reply #12
Those who claim 'everybody' doctors pitches to benefit their side have obviously not batted much in Australia. In recent years we have dealt up a LOT of roads, some of them real Freeways. Maybe they are worried we might find a batsman?

Producing roads doesn't produce batsmen.

FFS, we have a country full of drop in pitches that might as well be self-leveling teflon filled concrete, no deviation, no uneven bounce, and no variation from venue to venue, yet most of the spuds still cannot make runs!

From what I can tell early in the Shield season the curators offered up some pitches with life in them and our countries best batting stocks turn to pudding faces, almost as quickly as the Scott brothers when the opposition get a free kick! Shield teams were all out for not much!

Are we are suffering from having too many batsmen involved in the running cricket around the country?

Give them some real pitches, pitches they have to work hard on to get runs, not the 20/20 batting surfaces that currently get served up, and we will really cut the men from the boys!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #13

I thought the bowling was too routine and the Poms batted well.  Johnson and Steyn would have been trying something different to get a wicket and I guess that's where Smith falls down; he is an unimaginative skipper.

Apparently, Bayliss has a simple philosophy; bat longer than the other team.  Unless our bowlers and skipper lift their games, the Poms could do just that.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #14
I'm tired of only one team batting to win... At least we score fast enough to move the game along.  Other sides bat time, placing us under pressure to try and score faster to force a result.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?