Re: Shaun Marsh - a ton.

Reply #15
4 for 80.

They'll be lucky to make 150.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #16
The 130 kph is nothing to sneeze at;

Glenn McGrath averaged in the mid to low 130s.
Terry Aldermann rarely got over the mid to low 130s.
Max Walker and Gary Gilmore were 130s bowlers.

I'm not sure that the difference between 130 and 140 is as much influence as what you do to vary the pace or bounce. I concede that guys who can regularly exceed 150 kph are a different issue altogether, but they are exceedingly rare.

I thought Marsh's ton was good, but I've had the impression that England's plan for the day night test was a draw, they look like they have been playing for it from the 1st ball, they look flat and disinterested. Makes me think this test isn't really offering much to go by in terms of performance or form. It's was probably a tactical mistake from England, because this year the Adelaide pitch is possibly the one that suits them best.

For England in my opinion this is a pretty crappy Ashes tour to be on, too many games in too short of a period. The ICC is responsible for these stupid schedules, they seem hell bent on giving the minnows an opportunity to grow at the expense of the traditional rivals. I believe the schedule is to get thinned down in the future, I hope so, I want to see the pinnacle of cricket in Ashes tests. At the moment it feels like the tests have become second fiddle to the IPL and Big Bash.

145k from a bloke who is 6' 6" is where the difference is..........

Starc is no Dale Steyn for pace or swing but that height gives him bounce even off dead wickets......same with Hazelwood and Cummins...quick enough but not super quick but like the Windies greats but that extra height makes it more difficult..The Australians have figured out the short stuff worries the Poms and they are going to get pounded every innings.....125-130k bowlers cant provide that so the Poms cant retaliate.

Englands attack is rubbish IMO and their batting not much better....I feel less confident of removing Moeen Ali cheaply than their top order, thats how well they are going......

Reply #17
6/138. Lyon just took an all-time classic caught and bowleds.

Australia's bowling too good. Batting was very consistent all the way through. Although Marsh was the only one to go on and get 100, every Australian batsman contributed with the bat bar Bancroft, who was cruelly run out.

Reply #18
The 130 kph is nothing to sneeze at;

Glenn McGrath averaged in the mid to low 130s.
Terry Aldermann rarely got over the mid to low 130s.
Max Walker and Gary Gilmore were 130s bowlers.

I'm not sure that the difference between 130 and 140 is as much influence as what you do to vary the pace or bounce. I concede that guys who can regularly exceed 150 kph are a different issue altogether, but they are exceedingly rare.

I thought Marsh's ton was good, but I've had the impression that England's plan for the day night test was a draw, they look like they have been playing for it from the 1st ball, they look flat and disinterested. Makes me think this test isn't really offering much to go by in terms of performance or form. It's was probably a tactical mistake from England, because this year the Adelaide pitch is possibly the one that suits them best.

For England in my opinion this is a pretty crappy Ashes tour to be on, too many games in too short of a period. The ICC is responsible for these stupid schedules, they seem hell bent on giving the minnows an opportunity to grow at the expense of the traditional rivals. I believe the schedule is to get thinned down in the future, I hope so, I want to see the pinnacle of cricket in Ashes tests. At the moment it feels like the tests have become second fiddle to the IPL and Big Bash.

130s is dangerous as long as the bowler is very skilled.

Reply #19
130s is dangerous as long as the bowler is very skilled.

Anderson and Broad are real skilled but like the equally skilled McGrath have got very hittable as their pace dropped...

Reply #20
6/138. Lyon just took an all-time classic caught and bowleds.

Australia's bowling too good. Batting was very consistent all the way through. Although Marsh was the only one to go on and get 100, every Australian batsman contributed with the bat bar Bancroft, who was cruelly run out.

Bancroft angles his bat defending outside off stump..Poms have already figured out where to bowl to him, he wont be much chop in England if he doesnt get behind the ball better or learn to leave more..

Reply #21
Those Pommie "trunlders' are going through our top order like a dose of salts....  Warner and Khawaja...meh, clueless unless they're playing no namers on dead tracks.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #22
Smith should have enforced the follow on. Bizarre decision....given the night conditions....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #23
Maybe, but he's only got four bowlers and needs to husband them.

Losing 9 overs in last night's evening session was rotten luck... England has had a long suck on the sauce bottle w.r.t to the bowling conditions.  Extending the day's play takes on more significance when its the night session.

That said, our blokes need to harden the F up and deal with tough situations... "unorthodox'" techniques have their flaws as well.

How can Smith be out to a ball that isn't hitting the stumps?

Reply #24
Smith should have enforced the follow on. Bizarre decision....given the night conditions....

It's a while since a follow on was enforced but Smith's timidity has allowed the Poms back into the game.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #25
I reckon enforcing the follow on is the most over-rated decision in cricket, back-fires more often than not.

Reply #26
Those Pommie "trunlders' are going through our top order like a dose of salts....  Warner and Khawaja...meh, clueless unless they're playing no namers on dead tracks.

The ball is swinging, Anderson has it bending like a banana.....its like being back in England....they better enjoy it while they can, rest of the series will be played on roads...
Woakes looks like a champ out there even Smith looked rattled with the movement, only danger to Aus is this will give their bowlers confidence and some idea about where they need to bowl...

Seemed to lose our intimidation when Overton was batting with Woakes, the former is a bit of a odd looking big unit and our bowlers didnt seem that comfortable to mouth off at him....something reminds me of the Bond character " Jaws" when Overton smiles, simple but scary....

Reply #27
Still don't understand why Smith was given out, surely enough doubt to suggest not out?

Warner is starting to crap me no end - he needs to make runs when it counts.  Too often he has been part of collapses.  Both his dismissals in this game have been very, very soft.    He isn't providing score board pressure ATM and he's not reliable enough in defence/shot selection to trust chucking the anchor out.

Reply #28
Still don't understand why Smith was given out, surely enough doubt to suggest not out?

Warner is starting to crap me no end - he needs to make runs when it counts.  Too often he has been part of collapses.  Both his dismissals in this game have been very, very soft.    He isn't providing score board pressure ATM and he's not reliable enough in defence/shot selection to trust chucking the anchor out.

Smith....if the umpire gives it out then it only has to hit the stumps on the review, even with a faint clip....
Warner got a good one from Woakes second time around but the first one he played a poor shot......the responsible Warner isnt working, we need him to be the cavalier Warner where he goes after the bowling...

Reply #29
Yep, 12 from 60 balls (or whatever it was) was a poor result.  30 from 30 would have been handier - and might have knocked the ball around a bit as well.  Can't believe the condition the pink ball has stayed in.