Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 19 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs West Coast at marvel (Read 5459 times) previous topic - next topic

AFL Rd 19 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs West Coast at marvel

Weagles have improved of late. Do we do a Port and rest players? I hope not.
Live Long and Prosper!

Re: AFL Rd 19 2023 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs West Coast at marvel

Reply #1
Could rest half the team and still win by plenty....

Reply #2

Taking any team lightly, including Wet Toast, is very likely to end in tears.

It might be a good opportunity to give Binns a taste of AFL footy but I wouldn't like to see too many "managed" outs.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #3
We are a team that needs continuity and that means games played together.  Not chop and change and tinker.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #4
I hope the players aren't like supporters and are focussing solely on PA and not WC yet.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #5
I hope the players aren't like supporters and are focussing solely on PA and not WC yet.
Considering the result, I think we were concentrating on the right game.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #6
I'm looking to Collingwood.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #7
I'm looking to Collingwood.
I'm not looking that far ahead. I love how we're playing, but I won't look ahead more than a week: too much can happen, too quickly, especially if we get more injuries. God knows we get injuries.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #8
I'm not looking that far ahead. I love how we're playing, but I won't look ahead more than a week: too much can happen, too quickly, especially if we get more injuries. God knows we get injuries.
Just need another solid win against a club that is on its knees. Like last year, % may play an important part in shaping the ladder, its imperative we are on the right side of the ledger.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #9
Danger game ;)

And this one may be more of a mental challenge than a physical one.
Dropping players would send a message we don't rate them (even if we don't)
You don't want to fire them up.
Because if they come hard at us that will make the game a tougher contest than it might otherwise be if they think were treating them with respect and caution.

How to keep things 'honest' when the spectre of the Collingwood challenge looms would probably be in the thoughts of some, even most, players.

We should win easy, but we're all probably well aware now of the dangers of going into a game with a relaxed mindset, as hard as it might be with the Eagles record this season.

Reply #10
Assuming Harry will miss at least a week, who comes in to replace him?

Lewis Young is an option.  He can clunk a mark and brings the ball to the ground.  He should know our forward running patterns and he could take forward 50 ruck contests.

Then there’s Harry Lemmey.  He has a similar skill set to Young but is more comfortable as a forward.  I think that he’s probably a pre-season away from AFL standard but we’re playing Wet Toast.

O’Keeffe is very raw but he can clunk a mark and is a good set shot for goal.  The VFL rucks tend to rest forward - O’Keeffe is often given a spell by Lemmey - so he would know our forward structures and running patterns.  Probably too big an ask though.

We could just leave Charlie and Jack as our key forwards and go with the same structure as we used for most of the Port game.  Binns or Hollands could replace Harry in the 22 or does Paddy Dow get a full game?  I think yesterday’s effort showed why he’s on the margins.

I’d be tempted to give Lemmey a run but I think the MC will go with Binns.

Cowan in for Boyd (suspended).
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #11
I suspect Pitto will be back next week if fit, we can't expect that level of solo output from Charlie week after week, it would run him into the ground and he'll get injured.

Pretty much the same applies to TDK, I'd leave SoJ in F50 while his confidence is up, and ruck Pitto and TDK in rotation.

I was fearing things in the 3rd quarter as both Charlie and TDK started landing awkwardly and losing their feet, which happens more when fatigue sets in. Fans ignore the cost of performing like this they just shout out questions about why don't we play like that all the time, there is a very good reason for the variability!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #12
Cowan in for Boyd (suspended).
Didn't Boyd release the opponent before he hit the deck?

There is a huge difference between pinning an arm and slinging them with two actions to the ground, and the opponent collapsing under a pure tackle despite being released before hitting the deck.

I suspect MRO will charge Boyd, which is what the AFL want to do to avoid long term liability, and we'll appeal and he'll get off. Fans have to remember, many umpires and tribunal officials are lawyers or judges by day!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #13
Didn't Boyd release the opponent before he hit the deck?

There is a huge difference between pinning an arm and slinging them with two actions to the ground, and the opponent collapsing under a pure tackle despite being released before hitting the deck.

I suspect MRO will charge Boyd, which is what the AFL want to do to avoid long term liability, and we'll appeal and he'll get off. Fans have to remember, many umpires and tribunal officials are lawyers or judges by day!

I think Boyd's gorn.  The umpire paying the free and Byrne-Jones getting concussed is probably too much of an obstacle for our legal team to surmount.  I thought the free was pretty rough when it was paid but changed my mind after watching the replay.  Boyd may well have released Byrne-Jones but he did sling him into the turf.

Reply #14

Assuming Pittonet is fit, he comes in and TDK/Jack play forward/backup ruck.
We can play Pittonet out of the square on occassions if we want to give TDK an extended run in the ruck and kick on his head.

If Pitt doesn't come up, then it could get messy.

As a bit of a left field option,
Bring in Marchbank to play down back and switch McGovern forward.