Skip to main content
Topic: Round 1 - Blues v Tigers (21 March) Pre-Game (Read 31568 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Round 1 - Blues v Tigers (21 March)

Reply #45
Tigers by 6 goals.

Reply #47
I reckon 3 goals. Keep with them all game and they pull away late.

I'd be happy if it panned out like that. As far as honourable losses go, that's pretty respectable.

Tigers had a terrific H/A season last year, and will be smarting after their PF loss. Just too experienced, too well drilled and too hungry for us at the moment. Plus I don't see too much wrong in their off season. Even their injuries will not be enough to give us the edge.

Reply #48
I think we can beat Richmond, they are injury hit but probably feel they can take us without much effort....their JLT form was based on comebacks led by their star players.
Midfield control is where it is at and we can no longer let players like Martin run past tackles etc and play schoolboy footy vs this mob, there has to be a line in the sand where the intimidation ends, you can have all the skill in the world but in the past we have folded up very meekly when the tigers have flexed some muscle ie Martin, Caddy, Rance etc and that needs to end next Thursday.

Blues by 17 points....

Reply #49
B: Lachie Plowman, Jacob Weitering, Nic Newman
HB: Kade Simpson, Liam Jones, Dale Thomas
C: Marc Murphy, Patrick Cripps, Sam Walsh
HF: Paddy Dow, Charlie Curnow, David Cuningham
F: Mitch McGovern, Harry McKay, Alex Fasolo
FOLL: Andrew Phillips, Sam Petrevski-Seton, Zac Fisher
I/C: Michael Gibbons, Ed Curnow, Jarrod Garlett, Will Setterfield
EMERG: Jack Silvagni, Lochie O'Brien, Matthew Kennedy, Cam Polson

NEW: Mitch McGovern, Sam Walsh, Nic Newman, Alex Fasolo, Will Setterfield, Michael Gibbons

UNAVAILABLE: Matthew Kreuzer (knee), Sam Docherty (knee), Darcy Lang (foot), Caleb Marchbank (back), Harrison Macreadie (back), Tom Williamson (back), Jarrod Pickett (knee)

NOTES: It appears likely Andrew Phillips holds his spot in the ruck due to a combination of his impressive JLT form and Matthew Kreuzer's injury-interrupted summer. Alex Fasolo is tracking well to be fit, with Polson or Silvagni a chance to take his spot should he not be given the all-clear. Matthew Kennedy should be fit following a shoulder injury, but is unlikely to make the side after failing to feature in any JLT games. Sam Walsh has clearly done enough to earn a debut, while new recruits Michael Gibbons and Will Setterfield work their way into the team based on solid JLT form. Jarrod Garlett narrowly edges Lochie O'Brien for a place on the bench to provide some dash from half-back. - Riley Beveridge.

PRETTY HARD TO ARGUE WITH THAT LINEUP AS SUGGESTED ON AFL SITE. PROBABLY THE ONLY CHANGE I WOULD MAKE IS SILVAGNI IN FOR GARLETT...INTERESTING TO SEE WHAT OTHERS THINK.

Reply #50
I reckon 3 goals. Keep with them all game and they pull away late.

Last year we lost by 4 goals yet played H2 with 20 players.....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #51

NEW: Mitch McGovern, Sam Walsh, Nic Newman, Alex Fasolo, Will Setterfield, Michael Gibbons

UNAVAILABLE: Matthew Kreuzer (knee), Sam Docherty (knee), Darcy Lang (foot), Caleb Marchbank (back), Harrison Macreadie (back), Tom Williamson (back), Jarrod Pickett (knee)

NOTES: It appears likely Andrew Phillips holds his spot in the ruck due to a combination of his impressive JLT form and Matthew Kreuzer's injury-interrupted summer. Alex Fasolo is tracking well to be fit, with Polson or Silvagni a chance to take his spot should he not be given the all-clear. Matthew Kennedy should be fit following a shoulder injury, but is unlikely to make the side after failing to feature in any JLT games. Sam Walsh has clearly done enough to earn a debut, while new recruits Michael Gibbons and Will Setterfield work their way into the team based on solid JLT form. Jarrod Garlett narrowly edges Lochie O'Brien for a place on the bench to provide some dash from half-back. - Riley Beveridge.

PRETTY HARD TO ARGUE WITH THAT LINEUP AS SUGGESTED ON AFL SITE. PROBABLY THE ONLY CHANGE I WOULD MAKE IS SILVAGNI IN FOR GARLETT...INTERESTING TO SEE WHAT OTHERS THINK.

I'd change Polson (in) for Fasalo (out).

The pressure Polson brings will be a must against the tigers. Fas has shown SFA so far and although Polson won't win you the game himself, he's a solid foot soldier who'll do whats asked of him.

Reply #52
It's a tough one Kruddler....I agreed that Fasolo has done nothing but he IS the sort of bloke that can be influential off the back of a dozen possessions.....I don't think Polson could do that. Gibbons was quiet on Monday but he is the sort of player that can still apply that forward pressure.

Reply #53
It's a tough one Kruddler....I agreed that Fasolo has done nothing but he IS the sort of bloke that can be influential off the back of a dozen possessions.....I don't think Polson could do that. Gibbons was quiet on Monday but he is the sort of player that can still apply that forward pressure.

I understand the logic behind picking Fas, but we already have Gibbons in the same role.

If both have poor days, we are basically carrying 2 forward pocket players in our lineup.

Reply #54

The pressure Polson brings will be a must against the tigers. Fas has shown SFA so far and although Polson won't win you the game himself, he's a solid foot soldier who'll do whats asked of him.

Agree with that.  Polson is in the side to provide defensive pressure and he does that well.  It would be a bonus if he could rack up a few more score involvements.

I wouldn't say that Phillips has been impressive in the JLT series and Kreuzer going at half rat power will contribute more.  If Kreuzer is fit enough to run out the game, he should be in the 22.

SOJ's form in the NBs must have him in contention but I'm not sure who he could displace.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #55

It's an interesting one. Fasolo would be much more likely to kick more goals than Polson but would we be more likely to kick more as a team with Polson in there?

Reply #56
I think we can beat Richmond, they are injury hit but probably feel they can take us without much effort....their JLT form was based on comebacks led by their star players.
Midfield control is where it is at and we can no longer let players like Martin run past tackles etc and play schoolboy footy vs this mob, there has to be a line in the sand where the intimidation ends, you can have all the skill in the world but in the past we have folded up very meekly when the tigers have flexed some muscle ie Martin, Caddy, Rance etc and that needs to end next Thursday.

Blues by 17 points....

I do think we've definitely got a chance - but it's more like a 1 in 10 type chance. I find it hard to be as optimistic as you.

Reply #57
It's an interesting one. Fasolo would be much more likely to kick more goals than Polson but would we be more likely to kick more as a team with Polson in there?

Fas won't kick goals if we can't get (and keep) the ball in our forwardline.

We need the speed and pressure of Polson, along with Fisher and even Garlett to constantly keep the tigers guessing and watching their backs.

Reply #58

Surprisingly accurate from the AFL who normally have 5 or 6 randoms in there.

How strong does this team look with Doc, Kreuzer, Williamson, Marchbank all fit and available? What happened to the days of having a fully fit first 22? Hasn't happened in years.

Reply #59
Fas won't kick goals if we can't get (and keep) the ball in our forwardline.

We need the speed and pressure of Polson, along with Fisher and even Garlett to constantly keep the tigers guessing and watching their backs.

I don't agree Fasolo simply won't kick goals because we can't keep the ball in the forward line. Fas gives you a far stronger marking option and a long straight kick. But Polson gives you a bit more crumbing / pressure. He's not a great goalkicker though in his own right.