Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 23: Carlton vs Geelong (Read 11374 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 23: Carlton vs Geelong

Reply #60
A few of us have pointed out the umpiring, specfically, but not limited too, the goal review debacle and how dodgy that was.

This could explain a bit...

Are you serious?
Is this standard practice?
Do the umpires go and hug all the coaches post game ????
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #61
I'm probably as big a whinger as anyone when it comes to umpires, but the ump was retiring after 500 odd games, I don't think its too much of a stretch for Scott to acknowledge that.

Reply #62
Further, Pudding Face Twin " The Elder" is in the media again bleating despite their huge home ground advantage delivering another win!

Keep in mind, along with CheatsFC and the Dawks this Handbagger mob lead the charge to end games at the "obsolete suburban grounds" like Princes Park. Now they've spent more than $170M of public money developing their ground that can't fit in any opposition fans, and want to play the GF there! Both the Cheats and Dawks are touting plans to further develop their own boutique facilities to host matches against interstate teams! The Dawks even have the state government running an underground train loop right past their stadiums front door!

Who was the forkwit at our club that worried about the profitability from spending $45M two decades ago to update our home with underground parking? What an ultramoron, they basically condemned us to long term obsolesence!

FFS Carlton, grow some balls and call a spade a spade!

These guys are smooth operators.   Start bleating about the lack of home final at the mcg knowing full well you're not getting games in geelong and it forces the afl to give you a "home ground advantage " at the mcg.  I.e. favouritism by the umpires.

At worst you get a home final in geelong.

If you happen to lose you and your fans can be outraged legitimately.

Everyone in geelong wins.  It's called strategic bleating.  
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #63
Names and dates?

Western Bulldogs 2016 ????
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #64
Richmond 2017.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #65
Western Bulldogs 2016 ????

Western Bulldogs played two Ruck/KPP players, Boyd and Roughead, up against Naismith and Tippett.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #66
Richmond 2017.

I'll tell Nankervis he's a spud!

I was responding to Laj who was arguing against Crashlander desire to find a replacement for Kreuzer.

Matthew Kreuzer is the best ruckman we've got, by some margin.
However, he isn't going to be the ruckman who wins us a flag next. His injuries mean that he doesn't have the spring. Nor does he have the height to combat a 211 cm ruckman. Nor does he have the strength to combat some of the shorter, stronger guys who don't jump.
I still love the guy, the way he gives 100% every time he goes out. But he is so rarely 100% in his own body ...
I have harped on it a lot, but we need a dominant ruckman. We don't have one.

To which Laj replied;

Many a flag won without dominant ruckmen.

There's a huge difference between claiming you can go through seasons and finals without a dominant ruck option and winning a game on the day when you lose the ruck contests despite having a good ruckmen! Even then losing the ruck is debatable in all the games offered as examples so far, because the ruck options listed had huge game impact away from the centre bounces and tap work, but that is still happening in and as part of the role of a ruck!

Having a Kreuzer type or not having a Kreuzer type determines whether you actually make it to the GF in the first place, arguing that you don't need to recruit a ruck because you can win a GF without them is ludicrous and not supported by history at all!

You can win a GF on the day when you have lost the ruck, but that is just choosing to have a very narrow perspective of what "ruck" means to the overall team performance and structure!

Take a Kreuzer type out of any team and it's devastating, Laj is arguing we don't need a replacement because you can win without them, maybe a game or two, but you won't have to worry about finals if you go through a season without them! It's a ludicrous argument he makes in the lead-up to every trade period!

If we took Laj's perspective literally we'd be cutting Casboult tomorrow, maybe today, but we don't because "ruck" means more than centre bounces and taps as Laj selectively knows and applies if I post that Casboult is playing like a spud in the ruck!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #67
I'll tell Nankervis he's a spud!

Not a spud but he's not a dominant ruckman.

2013: Max Bailey/David Hale
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #68
2018: Lycett/Vardy
2017: Nankervis/Grigg lol
2016: Roughead/Boyd
2013: Bailey/Hale
2009: Campbell/Renouf

Half of the last decade of premiers did not have a dominant ruckman.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #69
2018: Lycett/Vardy
2017: Nankervis/Grigg lol
2016: Roughead/Boyd
2013: Bailey/Hale
2009: Campbell/Renouf

Half of the last decade of premiers did not have a dominant ruckman.

What is your scope for "Dominant Ruckmen"?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #71
A ruckman that dominates.

Good, you can send the club the wording for the job ad, you've got it covered! ;D

In the meantime we can play Phillips and Casboult in the ruck and watch as Mumford types lose the taps but beat the hell out of our on-ballers all around the ground!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #72
The list I provided shows you don't need a dominant ruck to win the flag.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #73
The list I provided shows you don't need a dominant ruck to win the flag.

Dominant.

Some people think a 1st or 2nd ruck covering ground, tackling opponents, creating space, taking marks and kicking goals is dominant, others think having 50 taps is dominant!

So what's dominant, has Casboult be dominant playing in the 2nd ruck?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #74
I think it's time to park 2019 and start looking forward.

Saturday was a game against a top 4 side with a huge amount to play for, versus an improving struggler.  Wind, rain, everything working against us.  And it was pretty clear that the Blues went into survival mode in the last quarter and concentrated on getting through in one piece.

Next time we play Geelong, it will be a dry day at the 'G and I am certain things will be different.

FWIW, that boy Narkle has a bit of something about him.
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?