Skip to main content
Topic: AFLW - Contract Dispute (Read 8914 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFLW - Contract Dispute

Reply #30
I think match day openers / double hearders makes sense, but I suspect it doesn't suit the AFL's political agenda, they seem to be deliberately trying to make AFLW compete head to head for resources with other sports. Using AFLW as a political tool to freeze out other sports when AFL is out of season!

The NRL play the NRLW in parallel and it works fine.

Agreed.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #31
You could start the AFLW season from the bye weekend after the H&A fixture.

Showcases the competition on a dead weekend before the finals, then gives fans something to watch during the finals if their team isn't playing in AFL finals.  Effectively, finding five weekends of crossover...then AFLW continues through Spring until Xmas.

I think they want the AFLW players to be available for the VFL and other state comps, as depth is still an issue - but may not be long until depth arrives.  But wouldn't it be great one day to have all AFLW games as the curtain raiser.  Then sometime in the future have their standalone games.

Reply #32
Then sometime in the future have their standalone games.

I don't see the need for this, I appreciate the desire but it seems completely superfluous.

For years I'd be at the ground from the U19 bounce, match the reserves until half-time, have some lunch then come back out for the seniors. Why not ride the existing pony rather than break in a new one?

And from home for TV I'd much rather be watching the AFLW / VFL curtain raisers than putting up with BT, Darcy or Ling delivering another pre-match diatribe! FFS, it's like being lectured to by Dumb and Dumber, they make The Three Stooges look like Einstein, Heisenberg and Hawking!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #33
Daisy Pearce on radio this morning pretty much blamed one entire team (without naming them) for the vote not getting up.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #34
Daisy Pearce on radio this morning pretty much blamed one entire team (without naming them) for the vote not getting up.

Well, she does work for CheatsTV  ::)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #35
Well, she does work for CheatsTV  ::)

I'd hate to be on the inside of this debate, when it comes to bitterness, hatred and prejudice the men have nothing on the girls, and in my opinion this leaves a disaster just waiting to happen.

What they need is for some "Bastard Misogynist" to step forward and offer them a reason to unite, or else they may well rip each other apart!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #36
I'd hate to be on the inside of this debate, when it comes to bitterness, hatred and prejudice the men have nothing on the girls, and in my opinion this leaves a disaster just waiting to happen.

What they need is for some "Bastard Misogynist" to step forward and offer them a reason to unite, or else they may well rip each other apart!

Sorry LP, thats BS.

I think what the girls are asking for is more than fair.

They are uprooting their lives to play AFLW.....and they do not even have any dates, or length of season in front of them.

In the first year, the girls had to pay for their own boots.
AFLW exceeded all expectations, including the players and the AFL.
Now the AFL has started fasttracking the whole thing by introducing 6 new teams in 2 years and have forgotten to structure a competition that can make it all work.

Yes, the girls are kicking up a fuss....and so they should.
What do the men have to complain about? A minimum salary of 100k a year, plus perks for the worst player on the list? Meanwhile, thats more than all the girls on a list combined.
The men have certainty for years.
The girls don't even know when their next game is......or even what month it is in.

Reply #37
Sorry LP, thats BS.

What I posted has nothing to do with their claims.

It's about the internal doings exposed by Pearce on radio yesterday, they are basically pointing knives at each other already, there is an obvious cliqué or maybe more than one, and they are nowhere near united like the AFL men. The girls have fired up the whisper drive and have their rumor engine running ready to point the blame!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #38
Yeah a bit rich for Daisy Pearce and Erin Phillips telling the others to do as they're told and just accept what's on offer.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #39
Sorry LP, thats BS.

They are uprooting their lives to play AFLW.....and they do not even have any dates, or length of season in front of them.

In the first year, the girls had to pay for their own boots.
AFLW exceeded all expectations, including the players and the AFL.
Now the AFL has started fasttracking the whole thing by introducing 6 new teams in 2 years and have forgotten to structure a competition that can make it all work.

Yes, the girls are kicking up a fuss....and so they should.
What do the men have to complain about? A minimum salary of 100k a year, plus perks for the worst player on the list? Meanwhile, thats more than all the girls on a list combined.
The men have certainty for years.
The girls don't even know when their next game is......or even what month it is in.

Well said.

At best the AFL has treated the gals with a kind of reduced and limited respect. At worst the AFL has treated the gals with a kind of arrogant disregard.

It would never have come to this adversarial stage had the AFLW/VFLW been given the respect and subsequent proper planning it deserved.

Now we have policy on the run. Gil at his best.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #40
What I posted has nothing to do with their claims.

It's about the internal doings exposed by Pearce on radio yesterday, they are basically pointing knives at each other already, there is an obvious cliqué or maybe more than one, and they are nowhere near united like the AFL men. The girls have fired up the whisper drive and have their rumor engine running ready to point the blame!

So what your saying is most of the girls are pushovers and doing what the AFL want.
Others are fighting for whats fair in their mind.
As a result there is disagreements amongst themselves.

You have issue with that because they are not united and as a result there is fighting amongst themselves.

Sorry but thats the same as what i said before.

Some girls are just happy to be playing and will take anything they can get.
Other girls are fighting for fair, as is their right.

Again, i don't care about any infighting between factions and what not. I just want whats fair for them. If the majority of them are NOT fighting for the same, as it appears, then they should have a look at themselves.

FWIW, if the men were getting paid a pittance, they wouldn't be united at all.

Reply #41
You have issue with that because they are not united and as a result there is fighting amongst themselves.

Sorry but thats the same as what i said before.

Nope you wrote nothing of the sort, you might have thought it, stated it to someone somewhere, but you didn't write it here, and now you're reversing through the debate at high speed claiming you've been there all before!

My comments were solely based on how quickly the girls started throwing rocks at each other when they didn't all agree. I never commented on whether what they had asked for was fair and reasonable, I've no position on it because no document exists to have an opinion on! I never accused them of being pawns in the AFL's game, or made any other statement deriding their situation. That's all in the Kruddler mind, not in the written words!

Over the last 48hrs all they seem to have talked about are the reasons why they didn't agree, in the media they made it an "us versus them" debate instantly, that was their first public thought, to point the finger at each other! The goose at jonts like SEN must have thought they hit the jackpot, because all they had to do was point a microphone at a AFLW player and the rocks started flying.

The bad men at the AFL and those in the rest of society, happily oppressing the girls, never even entered the debate over the last 48hrs! The girls factionalised with all wanting something different, there has hardly been a consistent message from any interviewed in the last 48hrs, despite seemingly having areas of overlap. What I found the most disappointing, was the inferences that one case or the other was coming at someones expense! They seemed unwilling to compromise, they would lose the prisoner's dilema game badly, all going for the loot!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #42
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/womens-afl/aflw-pay-dispute-afl-womens-2020-season-darcy-vescio-aflpa-legal-action/news-story/

The ring leaders inside the four clubs were Carlton’s Darcy Vescio, Geelong’s Meg McDonald, GWS’ Pepa Randall and St Kilda’s Catherine Phillips.

In a meeting with the AFL recently, a small section of the ‘NO VOTERS’ voiced their displeasure around several non-financial, non-communication issues.

They told league heavyweights they could not understand why the AFLW competition did not receive the same umpires as the men’s competition. The standard of umpiring is understood to have frustrated coaches and some players last season.

‘NO VOTERS’ also expressed their disappointment with the AFL’s change rooms at certain grounds. Although most facilities are acceptable, a small section of the players want to have access to the same spacious rooms as the men when available.

There is also an undercurrent of agitation towards AFLPA president Patrick Dangerfield and leading women’s player Daisy Pearce. Some players feel let down by them and have spoken out among each other in private about the lack of support they feel they have received from key figures in the game.

The ‘NO’ voters are adamant the season should see every team play each other once by the end of the next CBA. But the AFL and its two broadcasters — Fox Footy and Channel 7 — have resisted advances to accelerate the competition’s growth.

Reply #43
Daisy's a hypocrite.

Bet you she's paid better than average for all her work in footy.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #44
Daisy's a hypocrite.

Bet you she's paid better than average for all her work in footy.

Don't know about that, but she clearly has a conflict of interest, as do most of those making critical statements about the rebels!

No surprises Dangerfield is in the gun, this bloke is the most self-serving administrator I've seen in decades, he makes Narcissus look like a teenage self-mutilator!

PS; Is that a good tactic for Carlton fans next time we play against the Handbaggers, bring a bunch of mirrors?
The Force Awakens!