Skip to main content
Topic: AFLW Round 2: Carlton vs GWS at Ikon (Read 9733 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFLW Round 2: Carlton vs GWS at Ikon

Reply #15
Firstly, those commentators gave me the irrits. It was all Giants this and Giants that. When we kicked a goal to get back to 6 points it was Carlton are back in this contest. We were only 12 points down before the kick with just under a half to play. Seriously. Then we were 3 goals up and we 'might' be ok?

Anywho...despite all the pro-giants crap, not just the mens game apparantly, we came out on top with a very good and gutsy win.

Same players i mentioned last week i was happy with.

Vescio
Davey
Jakobsson
Brazzalle
Exon
etc

Thought Shierlaw and Downie were good marking options for us.

Did i hear correctly that we were premiership favourites?

Happy days.

Reply #16
8,000 people at the game apparently and there are long queues for the Collingwood-Melbourne game.  Given that GWS has little support, 8,000 is a respectable crowd and it seems that the first round attendances weren't a flash in the pan.

A good result by the girls and it will be very interesting to see whether they can continue their winning streak :)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #17
8,000 people at the game apparently and there are long queues for the Collingwood-Melbourne game.  Given that GWS has little support, 8,000 is a respectable crowd and it seems that the first round attendances weren't a flash in the pan.

A good result by the girls and it will be very interesting to see whether they can continue their winning streak :)

I reckon the changing of the start time may have caught a few out as well.

Reply #18
Crowd was pretty good. I was thinking about 10k.

Really liked the shorter game time. With the kids it is so much better.

Reply #19

8k, that's pretty good, sometimes GWS / GC men can play in front of only 15k!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #20
More people at the Colkingwood game.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #23
Another win on the board. Congratulations to our girls.

I thought the game provided a great opportunity to:
- experience being caught out a bit early. With GWS key players out, I think we took a while to find our mojo. There will be times where this will be where a game is lost.
- have to claw the lead back in the final quarter. A great test of fitness. Both physically and mentally, under the duress of increasing fatigue.

Great effort girls. Next week against the Crows in SA will be a superb challenge for them.

Go Blues
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #25
Win next week and lift the lid.

I wonder what a ladies flag would do for general pride in our footy club and membership numbers, not to mention light the fire under the men's bums for those who are yet to pull their fingers out..

Looking at you kj!
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #26
Firstly, those commentators gave me the irrits. It was all Giants this and Giants that. When we kicked a goal to get back to 6 points it was Carlton are back in this contest.

@kruddler

One of the commentators is a collingwood player. Not surprising, the one who revealed in good GWS play. When we scored, comments like (re: DV nice goal) " that's what you should get from marque players" pffftt ???
I guess one could say that the Pies marque players are just a little short of the mark in that case ::) . pretty sure I know what I'd prefer.

Our girls backed up last week's win nicely. I saw several of the second tier players lift their game. The likes of Audley, Pound, Hoskins, Brazzely, and Lucas-Rodd are a few that come to mind. Downie was good in the ruck. Not always in hit outs, but nailed a goal at a critical point and laid 5 tackles. Imagine if our blokes could match those stats!! It was IMO, a more rounded team effort.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #27
The broadcast did have its issues, and the focus on GWS was one of them. There were times when I wondered if we had won or not when I was listening to what they said.
Nichevo. We won.

[1]   Our centre setup;
This didn’t work as well this week. Our rucks tried hard and did well around the ground: Alison Downie in particular showed her ability in some really good clutch marks under a lot of pressure, and her ability to snap a goal was excellent. But the young Giant ruck was good and she was able to interfere with the effectiveness of our taps.
As a result we did not appear to be able to stop GWS getting the ball away like we did with Collingwood. They moved the ball quickly out of the middle, so our defence was always having to deal with that.
GWS also appeared to block Arnell effectively in the centre.

[2]   Smothers:
We were down in this area compared to last week. GWS were able to move the ball quickly at times, which made it much harder to set up. Even so, you had to be impressed with the intensity of our players.

[3]   Out bodying Opponents:
Again, we were not as good at that this weekend. GWS had a couple of very strong girls and a couple of very fast ones, making the task more difficult. What did impress me was the number of times we blocked the girl on the mark. It gave us an extra few metres which made a real difference.
I don’t really like this is a tactic: Hawthorn appear to have it as their modus operandi. However, while it is legal and accepted, I’d much rather see us doing it than having it done to us.

[4]   Marking:
I don’t think the marking was as clean as often yesterday. A number of times we just couldn’t hold our marks. However, we were better at it than the Giants and a few of our players really stood up and were marking targets. Downie and Shierlaw and Hardiman stood out with their marking. But I would like us to work on that a tad.

[5]   We were challenged and we won. I like that.

[6]   Best Players:
We had a real team effort. A lot of players stepped up when we were under pressure, although Vescio and a few others were down compared to last week.
Best:
Bree Davey:   Another really solid effort and a lot of the ball. I don’t think she played as well this week, but she still was crucial in getting the ball out of defence.
Katie Loynes:   Loynes probably doesn’t get the ball enough, but she does get in the thick of the action and was involved in most of our position forward moves. I liked her last week, and he impressed me again.
Lauren Arnell:   Not as effective in the centre square, I was impressed at her work rate. Her possessions were good value.
Nat Exon:   Like last week Exon probably didn’t get as much of the ball as I would like, but, like Arnell and Loynes, she was a real contributor who put her body in and made things happen.
Dani Hardiman:   Like last week, she was strong in defence and kept the GWS tall forwards from firing a shot.
Kate Shierlaw:   In the first half we were probably too Vescio conscious, aiming at Darcy even when she was was being double teamed. After half time we appeared to realize that Shierlaw was there and all of a sudden we had avenues to goal. Shierlaw took some good strong marks and really made the GWS work.
Tilly Lucas-Rodd:   A solid performer last week, Tilly did some nice things and deserves a mention. One of our lesser ranked players who really stood up when we needed a lift.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #28
Firstly, those commentators gave me the irrits. It was all Giants this and Giants that. When we kicked a goal to get back to 6 points it was Carlton are back in this contest. We were only 12 points down before the kick with just under a half to play. Seriously. Then we were 3 goals up and we 'might' be ok?

Really poor performance from Kelli Underwood - boring, repetitive and inaccurate - but not as bad as her main sidekick Chyloe (I think).

The only positive thing I could say was that it made the channel 7 commentary team seem less annoying.

Reply #29
The broadcast did have its issues, and the focus on GWS was one of them. There were times when I wondered if we had won or not when I was listening to what they said.
Nichevo. We won.

[1]   Our centre setup;
This didn’t work as well this week. Our rucks tried hard and did well around the ground: Alison Downie in particular showed her ability in some really good clutch marks under a lot of pressure, and her ability to snap a goal was excellent. But the young Giant ruck was good and she was able to interfere with the effectiveness of our taps.
As a result we did not appear to be able to stop GWS getting the ball away like we did with Collingwood. They moved the ball quickly out of the middle, so our defence was always having to deal with that.
GWS also appeared to block Arnell effectively in the centre.

[2]   Smothers:
We were down in this area compared to last week. GWS were able to move the ball quickly at times, which made it much harder to set up. Even so, you had to be impressed with the intensity of our players.

[3]   Out bodying Opponents:
Again, we were not as good at that this weekend. GWS had a couple of very strong girls and a couple of very fast ones, making the task more difficult. What did impress me was the number of times we blocked the girl on the mark. It gave us an extra few metres which made a real difference.
I don’t really like this is a tactic: Hawthorn appear to have it as their modus operandi. However, while it is legal and accepted, I’d much rather see us doing it than having it done to us.

[4]   Marking:
I don’t think the marking was as clean as often yesterday. A number of times we just couldn’t hold our marks. However, we were better at it than the Giants and a few of our players really stood up and were marking targets. Downie and Shierlaw and Hardiman stood out with their marking. But I would like us to work on that a tad.

[5]   We were challenged and we won. I like that.

[6]   Best Players:
We had a real team effort. A lot of players stepped up when we were under pressure, although Vescio and a few others were down compared to last week.
Best:
Bree Davey:   Another really solid effort and a lot of the ball. I don’t think she played as well this week, but she still was crucial in getting the ball out of defence.
Katie Loynes:   Loynes probably doesn’t get the ball enough, but she does get in the thick of the action and was involved in most of our position forward moves. I liked her last week, and he impressed me again.
Lauren Arnell:   Not as effective in the centre square, I was impressed at her work rate. Her possessions were good value.
Nat Exon:   Like last week Exon probably didn’t get as much of the ball as I would like, but, like Arnell and Loynes, she was a real contributor who put her body in and made things happen.
Dani Hardiman:   Like last week, she was strong in defence and kept the GWS tall forwards from firing a shot.
Kate Shierlaw:   In the first half we were probably too Vescio conscious, aiming at Darcy even when she was was being double teamed. After half time we appeared to realize that Shierlaw was there and all of a sudden we had avenues to goal. Shierlaw took some good strong marks and really made the GWS work.
Tilly Lucas-Rodd:   A solid performer last week, Tilly did some nice things and deserves a mention. One of our lesser ranked players who really stood up when we needed a lift.

I thought our marking was much better this week. Ball seemed to stick in their hands a lot more. Also, I don't think Arnell spent as much time in the middle as last week. Seemed to spend a bit of time in the pockets, which I think hurt us in the middle.

Not sure why Keeping changed the lineup much after last week, it worked very effectively. Going to need to be on our A-game this week.