Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 2 2022 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Western Bulldogs (Read 3933 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 2 2022 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Western Bulldogs

Reply #15
Fair enough Cap, I think Fisher might get a bit of leeway with form being Cripps buddy...
Those days are over.
In any case, as long as I never see Plowman (there, I shot Bambi) in the side ever again Ill be happy.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #16
Let's remember it was a VFL practice match. It's great that we now seem to have depth, but a 2nds practice match isn't a great measuring stick, even when we pantsed them. Given we've just won against the Tigers (defying expectations of the "experts"), we shouldn't expect too many changes.

Reply #17
Bontempelli is injured and may not play which would be a huge bonus..
Johannessen gone as well.

O'Brien (ex-Hawk) will play.
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #18
This could turn into  non match for us as we could be seriously covid impacted. Voss and Jack Martin to start with.

Reply #19
Yep. AFL site says Martin & Voss are sidelined for 7 days. Ash Hansen will twirl the magnets. Another 2 unidentified staff members also tested positive.

Reply #20
This is why the AFL should look at the NFL protocol which allows a return as soon as an infected player or official returns 2 PCR tests that are either negative or positive with a "cycle threshold" Ct > 35. Being able to treat faintly positive PCR tests as negative gives a chance for an early return. But it looks like we have to live with a one-size-fits-all 7 day isolation.

Reply #21
Is AFL even using PCR or is it RA?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #22
Originally thinking no changes other than Willo out as I don't believe in giving a guy a second week of potentially no game time. It then forces them back into the 2s with no recent matchday opportunity to run into form. Now know Martin must go out due to covid.

The other who might go out is McDonald for want of a 3rd tall Bulldog to match up on. His lack of pace would be exposed by pretty much any matchup and Kemp could cover for him down back if need be. I see Kemp as pretty much the ideal injury sub because he is the complete utility.

My only remaining question is who to go in. I haven't seen the 2s but write ups are fulsome in praise of Dow and Motlop and say both are ready so those are the names I will go with. Philp got his ribs rearranged when starring so he misses out. Boyd kicked goals and might rise against his old team. Carroll was spoken well of but probably a bit slight and green ATM - look for a debut sooner rather than later however. Walsh is a given if fit but probably not yet. So out Williamson (omitted to more game time in 2s) Martin (protocols) and McDonald (omitted - lack of matchup). In Dow (outstanding in 2s) Motlop (ditto) and Kemp (ideal sub given versatility). Look for Boyd, Carroll and Young to hopefully keep knocking the door down.

Reply #23
Indeed, with Covid, there must be at least one change: Martin out. I wouldn't be bringing in Willo as a direct replacement, so guys like Motlop and Dow are a chance.

Of the others,
(a) Setter had 16 possessions and didn't dominate.
(b) Lachie O'Brien had 13 possessions, and while he did some very good things, he also wasn't as competitive as he could have been. He could be displaced.
(c) Zac Fisher had 16 possessions and was very good in patches, missing in others.
(d) Charlie Curnow was our least effective forward and probably needs a good confidence build. His hands were not sticky yesterday.
(e) Zac Williams had 11 possessions and didn't do heaps.
One of these could make way. Interesting to see how our selection committee will jump.

How fit is Jacob Weitering? There were times he struggled and was limping badly. However, he did finish the game.
Is there a match-up for Oscar Mac? A good question. If they play Stefan Martin, then Oscar is the obvious match-up. Otherwise?

I will be very interested to see which way our selectors jump.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #24
This could turn into  non match for us as we could be seriously covid impacted. Voss and Jack Martin to start with.
Surely this is going to expand and turn to crape. Voss was hugging and shaking hands with everyone.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #25
Fair enough Cap, I think Fisher might get a bit of leeway with form being Cripps buddy...

I thought Fisher was quiet for 3 quarters but when the game was in the balance Fisher along with Martin and TDK all had some important touches when we needed it most.

Prefer that then a bloke like Setterfield who seems to never be able to find any gear other then plodding.

Reply #26
I thought Setterfield was solid all game and really stood up in the last quarter, as did his teammates.  The MC obviously sees positives in Setters and O'Brien that aren't apparent to all supporters.  However, if we can bring someone in who is an improvement then we should, but it would probably be at Fisher's expense.

The defenders all played solid games and, while our tall forwards had quiet nights (with the exception of Silvagni), I think that we have to give them every opportunity to play and gel together.

Martin is a definite out which is is unfortunate as he really worked his way into the game as it went on.  Motlop could be a replacement but I would prefer to give Kemp a run, particularly after he showed that he can play in the midfield as well as forward and back.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #27
Everyone tested negative today.

Reply #28
We need to make sure the whole playing list is given some of those RAT kits with significant  sensitivity issues.......
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #29
This Covid is stupid - tired of it. Had it twice and symptoms blown out of proportion as proported by science.
Anyway - think it should be evaluated same as influenza as thats what it is. Few days off work to recover and that's it.

Key staff and players missing over this doesn't sit well with me.