Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 9 2024 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Melbourne (Read 4120 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 9 2024 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Melbourne

Reply #90
I would tend to agree DJC. The idea that stopping Cripps goes a long way to stopping Carlton is hardly new. Collingwood didn’t discover anything new. Cripps has been blocked, tagged and scragged his whole career. For whatever reason, we weren’t able to do anything about it.  The coaches’ votes make pretty clear that apart from Nick Daicos, no player on either team had a particularly great game.

Just for something different....

Stop Cripps.
Stop Carlton.
OK, maybe.

What do we do when Cripps is getting beaten? Send him forward.
However, we already have Charlie, Harry and now TDK forward....can we afford to have Cripps there as well? Probably not.

So who is the weak link in that chain?

Yep, going back to the 1 ruck debate.
1 less ruck in the team means an extra midfielder and more flexibility/versatility with making moves.

I've been against it, but maybe its time to try TDK as a key back? We have extra talls good enough to play 1's, but running out of spots to play them all.....yet we have a big opening at CHB that we can't nail down. Why not TDK?

Reply #91
Just for something different....

Stop Cripps.
Stop Carlton.
OK, maybe.

What do we do when Cripps is getting beaten? Send him forward.
However, we already have Charlie, Harry and now TDK forward....can we afford to have Cripps there as well? Probably not.

So who is the weak link in that chain?

Yep, going back to the 1 ruck debate.
1 less ruck in the team means an extra midfielder and more flexibility/versatility with making moves.

I've been against it, but maybe its time to try TDK as a key back? We have extra talls good enough to play 1's, but running out of spots to play them all.....yet we have a big opening at CHB that we can't nail down. Why not TDK?

We have been sending Cripps forward, and quite effectively too.

It really shouldn’t matter if the opposition sets out to limit Crippa’s influence.  Our other mids, and rucks, should take up the slack and allow him to play a little more as an outside mid.  His work as a link up player is invaluable and he can do that without having to get first hands to the ball at every contest. 

It would be nice to see our rucks and other mids putting more pressure on Crippa’s opponents too.

The skipper is a big fan of the two rucks and I don’t think that he’d accept that one quieter game from him is any reason to change.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #92
We have been sending Cripps forward, and quite effectively too.

It really shouldn’t matter if the opposition sets out to limit Crippa’s influence.  Our other mids, and rucks, should take up the slack and allow him to play a little more as an outside mid.  His work as a link up player is invaluable and he can do that without having to get first hands to the ball at every contest. 

It would be nice to see our rucks and other mids putting more pressure on Crippa’s opponents too.

The skipper is a big fan of the two rucks and I don’t think that he’d accept that one quieter game from him is any reason to change.
Skipper is a big fan of having Pitto to rove too.....not necesarily 2 rucks.

Reply #93
It would be interesting to compare the Mason Cox / Darcy Cameron combo with Pittonet / De Koning. Cox and Cameron each played 19 games last year, so they were at the coalface for most of the season. I don't know how many of them were together.

Reply #94
once again we need to make Lever /may  accountable dont let them zone off take easy marks  with the stupid long bombs ,How smart are our Fwd line players.

Reply #95
once again we need to make Lever /may  accountable dont let them zone off take easy marks  with the stupid long bombs ,How smart are our Fwd line players.

In Jordan Russell, we trust! :)

Reply #96

It’s not the long bombs that they zone off on. It’s virtually every delivery into the forward line.  And if they’re not zoning off, they’re double teaming our leading forwards.

Playing three tall forwards makes Lever play on an opponent.  I’m more than happy for him play as a loose man and leave De Koning et al to do as they like.

We do need our small forwards to work harder at blocking the defenders’ run and crumbing halved marking contests.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #97
What hurt Cripps last game was making Kennedy sub, because Cerra and Walsh largely played an outside run type game, and Hewett was tagging. Cripps got no chop out and the Filth knew he was the only Mid working predictably on the inside. As he fatigued he got the fumbles, and that just made the situation worse.

When Kennedy came on he replaced a forward, they should have put Kennedy into the Midfield and let Cerra rest forward to turn the heat back onto the Filth and make them think twice about who the double team.

Even when Cripps draws 2 or 3 opponents leaving us with extra numbers, in recent weeks we haven't gain an advantage because our ball use has been poor.

We need to get back to being brutal in the midfield, that means no respite for opposition Mids or Rucks, pound them into the ground with wave after wave of heavy hitters, no B-Graders. Put a dud in the Mid rotation, or the ruck, and you give the opponents a rest period that costs us momentum! We have to keep the opposition eternally running up hill, because we aren't fast enough for a flat surface foot race no matter what our MC does at selection!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #98
What hurt Cripps last game was making Kennedy sub, because Cerra and Walsh largely played an outside run type game, and Hewett was tagging. Cripps got no chop out and the Filth knew he was the only Mid working predictably on the inside.

When Kennedy came on he replaced a forward, they should have put Kennedy into the Midfield and let Cerra rest forward to turn the heat back onto the Filth and make them think twice about who the double team.

Even when Cripps draws 2 or 3 opponents leaving us with extra numbers, in recent weeks we haven't gain an advantage because our ball use has been poor.

Yes, having Chugga in the midfield mix usually means Cripps will play well.

Reply #99
Yes, having Chugga in the midfield mix usually means Cripps will play well.
Even Walsh resting forward would be a plus over the current SFs, I've no doubt Walsh will get front and square at the feet of the pack without hesitation, and despite some patchy form nobody is out marking Charlie or BigH.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #100
Voss knows our strengths, he just mentioned the "Effort in the collective", it's no good hoping for stuff we haven't got, there are plenty of ways to skin a cat.

My only concern is that he mentioned forwards and defenders but not the mid.

The Force Awakens!

Reply #101
ZW should be on the trade table along with a pick. Maybe Bulldogs are stupid enough to bite considering they paid 3rd round for Coffield. Injury prone players with a long history are an avoid.

It is no secret the club needs to rebuild its depth because time is approaching fast to rest senior players periodically. But we havent got any 200 game 30 year olds yet.
Not even the WB are that stupid.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #103
In Gov Kemp Ollie Martin
Out Fantasia Cunners Young all omitted Williams Glute/Hurt Feelings
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #104
Good changes.

I would've liked to keep Cunners in the side, but i can't complain about the ins.
The outs are good too.

Sub to come from....
Durdin, Boyd, Hewett, Cerra, Cottrell.

I'd go Durdin personally.