Skip to main content
Topic: Leadership Group 2018 (Read 34431 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Leadership Group 2018

Reply #45
The minute you appoint newbies to leadership group you're on a losing strategy, you are basically told the current list they don't cut the mustard, which is exactly the message players and player managers take from an event like that!

You add players like Wines or Lynch and you put them in the leadership group you wouldnt make them captain or vice captain IMO.
This year is another rebuild year and I would expect Murphy to be a caretaker captain until Cripps or Docherty get given the role the following season....

Reply #46
You add players like Wines or Lynch and you put them in the leadership group you wouldnt make them captain or vice captain IMO.
This year is another rebuild year and I would expect Murphy to be a caretaker captain until Cripps or Docherty get given the role the following season....

No doubt you are free to do whatever you like on the leadership group, and existing players and agents are free to read into that whatever they like!

It's not about the decision, it's about the effect it has on the group, we are not talking about a Judd or Kernahan.

As much as a like Judd, I thought making him captain so early was a mistake. Easy in hindsight to say he did the job, set the standards, but would he have taken more along with him if he earned it side-by-side first? Would it have been reasonable to appoint Carrazzo, Stevens or Scotland in the interim, is there a place for due process?

Even Kernahan had to wait a year before going from a list player straight to captain, and in my opinion he's the best captain we've had for 30 years and widely considered one of the AFL/VFL best, but he played a season under Maclure! It wouldn't have been out of place to appoint Dean or Hunter though even if it were interim!

We laud them as stars, but that doesn't mean their team-mates won't see them as peers!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #47
With Docherty injured, Murphy will probably remain. I'd have given it to Doc this year had he not got injured.

What I would do, is go with Murphy and Cripps as co-captains.

Others in the leadership group mix for mine, would be - Docherty, Simpson, Ed Curnow, Kreuzer and Plowman.

Reply #48
With Docherty injured, Murphy will probably remain. I'd have given it to Doc this year had he not got injured.

Others in the leadership group mix for mine, would be - Docherty, Simpson, Ed Curnow, Kreuzer and Plowman.

Quite impressed with SpecialK in recent times, he's grown as a player and now commands a presence in the media and on-field.

I've no problem at all for him to be a captain, co-captain or 2IC!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #49

Co-captains; for when your club is too weak and/or dysfunctional to make a decision.  I hope we never go down that road.

I reckon Murphy would have been captain this year regardless of Docherty's injury.  However, I believe that succession planning is in place and Murphy will be grooming his successor for 2019.  I won't be surprised if it turns out to be someone other than the favoured candidates and it won't surprise me if it's not a long term appointment; I think that the club has made significant advances in leadership development and many players could be legitimate contenders over the coming years.

If Ollie Wines comes east next year is he a leadership type?

While I accept LP's point about such an appointment being a possible source of discontent, it's not out of the question.  A marquee player would be expected to be a leader and could certainly be parachuted into the leadership group.  However, he would have to want the role and the playing group would have to recognise and endorse his leadership claims.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #50
Well no need to speculate further:

http://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/2018-01-31/murphy-steers-newlook-leadership-group

MARC Murphy will become one of the longest-serving consecutive captains of the Carlton Football Club, after being unanimously endorsed by his peers to lead the Blues for a sixth straight year in 2018.

Having been appointed captain in 2013, the 30-year-old sits behind only Stephen Kernahan, John Nicholls, Ken Hands and Ern Henfry as the Blues’ longest-serving captain across consecutive years.

After three years serving as Murphy’s deputy, beloved veteran Kade Simpson will hand over the reins as part of the Club’s leadership program succession plan, with Sam Docherty and Patrick Cripps assuming joint vice-captaincy roles.

The 33-year-old defender will remain in the Blues’ leadership group, alongside midfielder Ed Curnow, who joined the group in Bolton’s first year as senior coach in 2016.

In a bolstered eight-man group, experienced duo Matthew Kreuzer and Alex Silvagni, as well as rising defender Lachie Plowman round out the Blues’ on-field leadership group for 2018 after being recognised by their peers on Wednesday.

Great outcome all round. Interesting that Lachie Plowman is leading the charge of the youngsters.

Reply #51

http://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/2018-01-31/murphy-steers-newlook-leadership-group

Great outcome all round. Interesting that Lachie Plowman is leading the charge of the youngsters.

Good news - not entirely surprising!  ;)
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #52
Good news - not entirely surprising!  ;)

Pretty solid set, it appears Bolton and his crew are big on rewarding effort, and that is the way it should be!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #53

Pratty picked Plowman for a leadership role.  He does seem to have a cool head on his shoulders - Plowman that is  ;)

Alex Silvagni is a bit of a surprise but understandable given Docherty's on field absence.  I heard Matthew Pavlich singing ACOS's praises last year and, if half of what Pav had to say was true, his presence in the leadership group is more tham justified.

It's great that Matthew Kreuzer has a leadership role.  He is at the peak of his powers and it's the right time for him to show the youngsters the way.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #54

Doc as VC (with Crippa), like it. Leaves the door ajar for Doc to play in 2018 when we play finals.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #55
Marc Murphy – captain
Sam Docherty – vice-captain
Patrick Cripps – vice-captain
Kade Simpson
Ed Curnow
Matthew Kreuzer
Alex Silvagni
Lachie Plowman

I gotta say, I like that leadership group. And as a big ACOS fan, I'm very happy he's in there.

Reply #57
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/marc-murphy-says-exciting-young-blue-charlie-curnow-can-handle-expectation/news-story/4c9ec5633940de653a1d44c4e997fbc4

Another nice piece.

Paywall defeated me  :(  Any chance of a cut and paste?

Reply #58
I like....but all the effing naysayers have sh.t canned the Blues all day...get stuffed Bartlett, K.Cornes, Dal Santo....usual suspects... I guess Lyon & Watson will be all over it tomorrow as well....F..k off the lot of you...IMHO???? Go Blues

Reply #59
MARC Murphy says Carlton will add an attacking layer to its game plan this year as he backed Charlie Curnow to handle the hype.

The 30-year was named Carlton’s captain for the sixth year, with future captaincy candidates Patrick Cripps and Sam Docherty his vice captains.

The reigning best-and-fairest winner leads an eight-man leadership group in a side that built a solid defensive foundation under Brendon Bolton in his first two years at the helm.

The Blues haven’t scored 100 points in a game since Round 11, 2016 but Murphy promised fans would see a more rounded game plan as part of the maturation of the Baby Blues.

Curnow looked awesome in a match simulation game on Wednesday while key tall Harry McKay has shrugged off turf toe and continues to grow in excess of 200cm.

Carlton fans are aware this will be another year of growth but Murphy said fans impatient to see more goals will be sated.

“The first two years it may look like it’s a slow build on the outside, but we have worked really hard on our discipline in defence,’’ he said.

“It’s no surprise we are trying to bring some more attacking flair into our game and we have got some guys who have been training really well who have got a lot of talent in our forward line.

“We look forward to seeing what those guys can do and want to add another string to our bow to what we have worked hard on the last couple of years — strengthening up some of our attacking play.

“It is something we have been really focusing on.”

Curnow has Carlton hearts aflutter as he enters his third season but while he only turns 21 on Saturday, Murphy says the instant fame won’t divert him from the task at hand.

“He is a really grounded guy. He has a great family around him and he has a lot of support at the footy club and he is going to enjoy that expectation,’’ Murphy said.

“If you know him he’s really laid back but he’s also really excited about showing his talent.

“He can play deep forward or high forward or go through the midfield or run around on a wing. He has been training really well and I think we will see him all over the ground, he has certainly got the tank.”

In Docherty’s absence Murphy threw up Tom Williamson, David Cuningham, Cam O’Shea and Aaron Mullett as contenders to reinforce Carlton’s half back line.

Murphy famously had to prove himself to Bolton as a leader when he arrived from Hawthorn two years back but was the obvious choice as he comes off a superb season.

He has given no thoughts of when he might hand over the captaincy but says Cripps and Docherty shape as leaders for the next decade.

The top trio are joined in the leadership group by Alex Silvagni. Lachie Plowman, Matthew Kreuzer, Kade Simpson and Ed Curnow.

But Murphy defended the size of the group in an era when premiers Richmond had just three players in their leadership group last year.

“We had eight guys who wanted to be leaders of this footy club and are leaders in their own way,” he said.

“Lachie Plowman has really stepped up with his voice and played some good footy ... Matty Kreuzer is someone you love playing with.

“So to have those guys along with Alex Silvagni, he’s a brutal beast, the big fella, so to have him in the leadership group is great.”