Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 8: Post Game Passion: Carlton vs Essendon (Read 33624 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 8: Post Game Passion: Carlton vs Essendon

Reply #120
I reckon I came to the conclusion that you cant have Jones and Weitering in the same team as they are virtually the same type of player over a month ago. Even had the temerity to suggest that Weiters would be ideal trade bait, especially for a "big fish" and a receptive club.....
Haven't changed my view, and have to say that Jones is way ahead right now, and is back to his AA form of last year.
Weitering would land Sheil, land Gaff and WC's second round pick, and go a long way to dangle something viable for Tom Lynch....
Just saying
I was there, Blight missed!!!

Reply #121
I probably shouldn't admit this, but I was rapt with BB telling SFB to FO. Good on you, BB... yep, have to apologise to appease some, but not this little black duck. Fan of passion.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #122
Rowe is definitely a long way in front of Weitering right now. Not even close that one.

Plowman is making a few blues but also does some good things - but never flashy. Which can be a good thing but for him it feels a bit like he's just passing the pressure onto someone else. He refuses to be the one to take the forward kick. He just stabs it sideways 20m.

Samo needs a rest. He almost makes an impact. A lot of "almost" moments for him. One attack on the ball in the 2nd quarter I thought was embarrassing for him. He took a couple of short steps when he had the opportunity to put his body through the line of the ball.

Our man from Port is the one who needs a VFL stint the most. You can't be 28 and still making those mistakes by foot.
I think letting Weitering play as third tall defender for another year or two while he builds his body up would be a good path for him. Then when Rowe retires he can transition into a more physical role.

Our bigger problem is a shortage of defenders to man up the opposition small forwards and who are willing and capable of running the ball out of defence.

I won't be surprised if SPS makes way for Murphy when he's ready to return.

Reply #123
I probably shouldn't admit this, but I was rapt with BB telling SFB to FO. Good on you, BB... yep, have to apologise to appease some, but not this little black duck. Fan of passion.

x2....This is what I want from Bolton, not green shoots and cliches,  do what Clarkson, the Scotts would do and get stuck in to build that bond with your players....been critical of his lack of emotion etc but this was great stuff IMO....

Reply #124
Great and really unexpected result. Wish I could be as optimistic as a few on here about our fortunes moving forward from here but I'm a bit jaded from years of heartbreak.
OK to see the positives but realistically spuds like Mullett and O'Shea and Graham are going to let us down when the whips start cracking. One thing for sure is that for us to have any chance of winning both Kreuzer and Cripps have to be in our best players. We cannot win if either of these 2 have an off game. What  Kreuz coulda been without the injuries.
Ed Curnow could be winning the B&F but for Cripps. Unfortunately he will be getting a week off for touching the ump. Stupid.
Happy with the improvement shown in Dow and O'Brian but maybe due for a rest?

Thank-you Lods for the bomberblitz link. Have spent nearly as much time reading that forum as this forum. Just gold!

Reply #125
Great and really unexpected result. Wish I could be as optimistic as a few on here about our fortunes moving forward from here but I'm a bit jaded from years of heartbreak.
OK to see the positives but realistically spuds like Mullett and O'Shea and Graham are going to let us down when the whips start cracking. One thing for sure is that for us to have any chance of winning both Kreuzer and Cripps have to be in our best players. We cannot win if either of these 2 have an off game. What  Kreuz coulda been without the injuries.
Ed Curnow could be winning the B&F but for Cripps. Unfortunately he will be getting a week off for touching the ump. Stupid.
Happy with the improvement shown in Dow and O'Brian but maybe due for a rest?

Thank-you Lods for the bomberblitz link. Have spent nearly as much time reading that forum as this forum. Just gold!

Hey Rocky,
If we add a few off the injury list and players getting some form in the 2's the likes of O'Shea, Mullet and Graham wont be playing.
Pickett, Williamson, Marchbank, Kennedy, Murphy, Docherty and Weitering are all starting 20 when fit and inform.

We should land a top player this year at pick 1or 2 and a couple in the second round.

Just keep watching Cripps, Curnow, Harry, Fisher, Dow and O'Brien in the mean time.

Hopefully A Phillips continues his improvement and can replace Kruezer when the time comes.

Reply #126
Just going to have a look at the young blokes who are our future.  This is what we've paid Bolts and SOS to do.  Rebuild the team so we have a stable (and exciting) base for an extended run at it.

LO'B looks nice and composed to me, and he gets himself to the right spots, and holds onto his marks, even under pressure, which impresses me most considering his lack of size.  15 touches and 8 marks for both of the last 2 weeks.  Not laying a lot of tackles yet, but he's got a few more summers in the gym in front of him yet.  Early signs looking for good for him becoming the link man we need.  I think he'll be our Gaff, and we don't need to throw the kitchen sink to land Gaff.

Dow, starting to show why he was drafted, has the wheels to get out of congestion, and has a knack for pouncing on the the loose ball in tight.  Both of these blokes are getting their 10 -15 possies a week, which is all you can ask from a skinny young mid in their first year.  Next year it should be 15-20, the year after 20+ week in, week out.  That's when they'll come into their own.

Samo still stuck on his 10-15 touches, only got 10 this week, but did lay 8 tackles, and snatch a snap goal.  His best game so far was round 2, with 24 touches.  Second year blues for him is all i hope it is.  With the second year blues, you hear people say the player gets a little more attention, and more is expected of them, and i also think the excitement of the first year wears off a little as they come to grips with the brutality required to back up week after week.  He'll show in the next year or two if he's made of the right stuff for AFL. 

Big H not getting a lot of the footy, but he did roam up and down the ground a bit, and took at least 1 good pack mark in the back half.  The most impressive thing for me is his mobility.  He's got some wheels, and is not afraid to take blokes on.  When he's one on one going for a loose ball on the run, he makes the opposition defender look a bit silly.  Has a very good habit of kicking 2 goals a game, and i'll take that.  Could well become a Josh Jenkins or a Tom Lynch. 

Charlie.  What more can I say.  The kid can take a pack mark over the top, from the side, can hold his ground in front, and recovers quickly.  And can run all day and play spells in the middle.  What a gem.  Needs a little work with Sav, but he's coming from a far better spot than Cas was, so I expect he will tighten up his goal kicking. The other thing that is starting to stand out to me is that Charlie and Big H seem to have some sort of chemistry.  Just a few little hints here and there that these 2 boys know they've got the ability to run the forward line for the next decade. 

Crippa.  Rippa.  Starting to impose himself and use that big frame of his.  Becoming a bit of a bully, and I like it!  The work he did to improve his acceleration is a credit to him, and shows how hard he works on improving every little bit of his game.  Deadset gun.

Zac Attack has not been affected by the second year blues, and is going from strength to strength.  A little up and down still, with 3 games out of 8 over 20 possies, but only 15 this week.  This kid is a winner, as we all know.  Goes to show you don't have to be big to me a modern mid, but you do have to have something.  And he's very zippy, very clean, tenacious, and has a penetrating kick.  And some real spirit.

Darcy Lang showed what he'll bring to the team.  13 touches, 2 goals, 5 marks, 4 tackles.  Not a bad debut.  He'll get better, and I don't think will ever be a 30+ possies a week player, but should be a very handy 20+.  Still a young bloke, and only 45 games in to his career.  Has the ability to play a standout game now and then as shown in finals for Geelong.  We've missed him earlier in the year.

There are other youngsters who did not play due to injury and form, who I still have high hopes for.  Pickett, Kennedy, Weiters, Marchy, Cunningham, and Willo have all got the tools to add to that list.  With any luck they'll all get over their issues and show they belong too.

Go young Blues !

Reply #127
Hey Rocky,
If we add a few off the injury list and players getting some form in the 2's the likes of O'Shea, Mullet and Graham wont be playing.
Pickett, Williamson, Marchbank, Kennedy, Murphy, Docherty and Weitering are all starting 20 when fit and inform.

We should land a top player this year at pick 1or 2 and a couple in the second round.

Just keep watching Cripps, Curnow, Harry, Fisher, Dow and O'Brien in the mean time.

Hopefully A Phillips continues his improvement and can replace Kruezer when the time comes.

De koning will be 1st ruck before Phillips i reckon. Phillips a good 2nd banana only

Reply #128
De koning will be 1st ruck before Phillips i reckon. Phillips a good 2nd banana only

De Koning is at least 3 or 4 years away.

He'll put on bulk first, that will initially slow him down and he'll temporarily lose the ability to jump and mark like he does at the moment. Then over a couple of uninterrupted seasons he'll lose some of the new bulk but build strength while he learns sensible running patterns. FWIW, we are already seeing a less mobile version of McKay this season after effectively only one full pre-season.

Assuming Phillips stays fit he'll be primed to be 1st Ruck by the time Kreuzer retires, Phillips is already showing glimpses of what he can do, he just isn't reliable at the moment.

The smoky for us is Lobbe, has been and could be anything, a lot depends on the direction that game plan heads in for Lobbe to be influential.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #129
De Koning is at least 3 or 4 years away.

He'll put on bulk first, that will initially slow him down and he'll temporarily lose the ability to jump and mark like he does at the moment. Then over a couple of uninterrupted seasons he'll lose some of the new bulk but build strength while he learns sensible running patterns. FWIW, we are already seeing a less mobile version of McKay this season after effectively only one full pre-season.

Assuming Phillips stays fit he'll be primed to be 1st Ruck by the time Kreuzer retires, Phillips is already showing glimpses of what he can do, he just isn't reliable at the moment.

The smoky for us is Lobbe, has been and could be anything, a lot depends on the direction that game plan heads in for Lobbe to be influential.

Don’t disagree on DK, Kruezer isn’t yet 30 and the way he is rucking he could go for another 3-4. I don’t see Phillips or lobbe as anything else than insurance.

Reply #130
Don’t disagree on DK, Kruezer isn’t yet 30 and the way he is rucking he could go for another 3-4. I don’t see Phillips or lobbe as anything else than insurance.

Surely you haven't forgotten Phillips effect on Nic Nat already, I realise he didn't do it for 4 Qtrs but that is a taste of what Phillips can do?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #131
Phillips is too good to be playing extended periods in the magoos, and if that happens, he'll be seeking opportunities elsewhere, and rightly so.

Reply #132
I was of the thinking that SPS needs a run in the 2s but I switched tack - the guy just needs a good mentor within or without the Club....

Still very young and I'm sure the big city can be overwhelming for any kid from the bush....

Three obvious changes will stiffen us un immeasureably.

1. Marchbank for O'Shea
2. Byrne/Willo for Mullet (Willo my strong preference)
3. Murphy for Graham (though I reckon Graham might still get there)
4. Kennedy for ? (Ed this week)
5. (in 2019) Doc back in....

Then the fight for spots really heats up...

And yes, I have to agree, as soon as Weiters come in, the back 6 is way too tall/slow (and Rowe is greater than Weiters presently). At least Jacob has time on his side....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #133
Phillips is too good to be playing extended periods in the magoos, and if that happens, he'll be seeking opportunities elsewhere, and rightly so.

IMHO, I think they all know where they are, that they could all happily play first ruck, and that between Lobbe, Phillips and Kreuzer, they are all an even chance to play in the absence of the others.

They are all AFL standard ruckmen, and Kreuzer is the pick of the bunch, but he breaks down too frequently.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #134
I love Kreuz - he is very important to us atm but we definitely need a good back up for him. We have 2 good ones in Phillips and Lobbe and we must do everything possible to hang on to them imo. Phillips is probably the one who is more likely to want to go elsewhere so we need to find a way to keep him happy. A good salary plus a few senior games a year may do that for a year or two but others will surely come knocking?
Reality always wins in the end.