Skip to main content
Topic: Looking towards the 2019 season (Read 1914 times) previous topic - next topic

Looking towards the 2019 season

[1] We have apparently 6 applicants for the head coaches job. 5 of them are men.

[2] Daniel Harford has been rumoured to be in the running for the job.

[3] Apparently most female players would prefer a male coach. That is not something I expected. Certainly there have been rumbles about the fact that some female figures have left the AFLW, including coaches.

[4] Lots of talk around about the relative lack of money in AFLW. I find this a little surprising, as we know that there have been pay rises in women's ranks of a far greater percentage than in the men's ranks. In absolute terms, there is certainly more time and money required. But both have increased and look like doing it again. Teams want to keep good players.

[5] Apparently Carlton are going to appoint a female head of female football. I think that is a good thing. I don't know who it is or how good she is.

[6] I would like to see more female assistant coaches at AFLW level. And one person I would like to see in this role is Lauren Arnell. She is doing well in her radio and TV career, but I don't see any problem with her taking a coaching role of some sort with us. I don't know how much longer she can go on as a player: her body did not allow her to play anywhere near her best this season just past. And I do not want to lose her.
She does have a teaching job at a private school (I forget which one) and her time is limited, but if we put up the cash and provide a career path ...

[7] There has been a lot of talk lately about women's footy. It is clearly at the semi-professional level seen by players in the 1960's and 1970's. If we are going to take the lead (and we should), then providing real employment opportunities, and not just inside the club, is the way to go. We managed that in the old days and some people made the most of those job opportunities. We now to do that for the women.
It is good that we employed Darcy Vescio and that work has been getting some prominence as a result. However, the club cannot employ everyone. I would like to see a couple more girls working for the club, but I would rather see us finding jobs with some of our sponsors and other local or semi-local enterprises. It will take some effort, but it will also get Carlton's name out there.
For example, there is a certain ex-coach of ours who is now making a nice living as a real estate agent. (Pagan, for those not in the know.) Perhaps we could get a girl or two to work for him. He would also be aware of training schedules and games and things.

[8] There have been rumours about the club giving cars to some of our AFLW players and taking them away sometimes. I hope that we don't get into the habit of offering things we can't supply easily or making it so things get repossessed if rules are broken. It doesn't help. I would much rather be known as a club that fulfills deals.

[9] I would really like to see the club provided more face to face coaching, and not just in the AFLW season. If a girl is a Carlton player, then we need to do more for her to improve her for the next season. Regularly and on a casual basis. I would like to see us providing the best preparation and football education that a girl can get.
Live Long and Prosper!

Re: Looking towards the 2019 season

Reply #1
[2] Daniel Harford has been rumoured to be in the running for the job.

A good start. Harford has the reputation as a coach of winners. He has a couple of flags to his name and a name for communicating from his time on radio.
Hopefully he can make a difference.
Live Long and Prosper!