Skip to main content
Topic: Pre Game Preparations: AFL 2021 R3 Carlton vs Fremantle at Marvel (Read 15845 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pre Game Preparations: AFL 2021 R3 Carlton vs Fremantle at Marvel

Reply #225
I think it's a figment of supporters' imaginations. The MC has decided whatever his good and bad points, that what he brings is better than the alternatives.

And in the unlikely event that he is being gifted games, you can shut this site down, and send the entire club packing to the Kerguelen Islands. And we then spend our time on some other, at least remotely productive endeavour. It would be shocking beyond belief, if true.
OK, but can I go to the Abrolhos Islands instead?

Agree, I doubt based on our current form anybody is being gifted games, those accusations probably say more about the supporter than the club or players, emotion overcoming logic! :o
The Force Awakens!

Reply #226
Stick murphy back in the midfield and see how that goes. No good there then we have to think about it.

Agreed.

It's there or nothing imo.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #227
Playing soft footy... And that's the crux of our problem.  
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #228
OK, but can I go to the Abrolhos Islands instead?

I doubt based on our current form anybody is being gifted games! :o

Apart from the fairly obvious fact that it's stupid, unethical, unprofessional etc., it's also worth noting Teague's testy satchels are on the line. Unless the idea of being sacked is an extreme turn on, he's not gifting games to anyone. Ridiculous idea.

Reply #229
I think it's a figment of supporters' imaginations. The MC has decided whatever his good and bad points, that what he brings is better than the alternatives.

And in the unlikely event that he is being gifted games, you can shut this site down, and send the entire club packing to the Kerguelen Islands. And we then spend our time on some other, at least remotely productive endeavour. It would be shocking beyond belief, if true.

Just reflects the current parlous state of affairs then?
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #230
OK not gifting games.   Getting an extended run in the seniors when form suggests otherwise.   Nobody on the list  should be a protected species.

Reply #231
Apart from the fairly obvious fact that it's stupid, unethical, unprofessional etc., it's also worth noting Teague's testy satchels are on the line. Unless the idea of being sacked is an extreme turn on, he's not gifting games to anyone. Ridiculous idea.

Some clubs do what is right to win games, they are not stuck in the past wanting to glorify players or be over romantic
with milestones and personal achievements. We need to be less romantic about whose name is on honor boards and more ruthless about who is in the team and who deserves to be on the list.

Reply #232
Just reflects the current parlous state of affairs then?

Maybe. We can keep going backwards and forward about recruiting, development etc., but the MC is picking the best available for each match. And if Murphy is in that group, he's in. Whether "best available" equates to "worthy", "good', "good enough" etc. is a separate discussion IMO.

Reply #233
Some clubs do what is right to win games, they are not stuck in the past wanting to glorify players or be over romantic
with milestones and personal achievements. We need to be less romantic about whose name is on honor boards and more ruthless about who is in the team and who deserves to be on the list.

I'm sorry, but I simply don't believe that Murphy or anyone else is being gifted games, not for romance, bromance, honour boards or anything else. If you are willing to support a club that does that, I don't really know what to tell you.

Reply #234
Maybe. We can keep going backwards and forward about recruiting, development etc., but the MC is picking the best available for each match. And if Murphy is in that group, he's in. Whether "best available" equates to "worthy", "good', "good enough" etc. is a separate discussion IMO.

But no one putting pressure on to take his spot currently? Bit of a worry?
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #236
Believe what you want.

Stocker on ball or Owies/Honey as a FP option.

Reply #237
I'm sorry, but I simply don't believe that Murphy or anyone else is being gifted games, not for romance, bromance, honour boards or anything else. If you are willing to support a club that does that, I don't really know what to tell you.

I wouldn't say, 'gifted', Pauly... but I would say never underestimate the sentimentality in our's and other struggling sides. Successful sides rarely have passengers, especially two weeks in a row. But we have shown a strong propensity over a long period to 'allow' passengers.

Sometimes you have to stick with the 'passengers' as there just aint the talent pressing in the Magoos for selection - we've certainly been there, just ask BB.

But now we do have blokes pressing, yet being denied for some unknown reason. For example, there has been nothing in Casboult's efforts in the first two games to justify fronting up tomorrow... and the argument of 'team balance' does not hold water for moi. You put your best available on the paddock. If Casboult was injured we'd find a way to structure our forward line.

With today's Magoos hit-out, McGovern, Kennedy and Stocker have all put their hands up... and Willo bounced back for a BOG - another hand up.

If you reward below par efforts, you'll ask for below par results. Selection needs to be ruthless, as is the case with top sides.

(No mention of Carroll in today's Magoos games... rested? Injured? Also mentioned was that Marchbank is likely to play in the Magoos next week).
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #238
I wouldn't say, 'gifted', Pauly... but I would say never underestimate the sentimentality in our's and other struggling sides. Successful sides rarely have passengers, especially two weeks in a row. But we have shown a strong propensity over a long period to 'allow' passengers.

Sometimes you have to stick with the 'passengers' as there just aint the talent pressing in the Magoos for selection - we've certainly been there, just ask BB.

But now we do have blokes pressing, yet being denied for some unknown reason. For example, there has been nothing in Casboult's efforts in the first two games to justify fronting up tomorrow... and the argument of 'team balance' does not hold water for moi. You put your best available on the paddock. If Casboult was injured we'd find a way to structure our forward line.

With today's Magoos hit-out, McGovern, Kennedy and Stocker have all put their hands up... and Willo bounced back for a BOG - another hand up.

If you reward below par efforts, you'll ask for below par results. Selection needs to be ruthless, as is the case with top sides.

(No mention of Carroll in today's Magoos games... rested? Injured? Also mentioned was that Marchbank is likely to play in the Magoos next week).

My participation in this discussion started when I read that Murphy is being gifted games to get to 300. He entered the season on 285. If you seriously believe that he is being gifted 15 out of 22 (leaving out finals), or 70% of the total games this season to make the milestone, well................

Leaving that aside and taking a short term view, we are 2 games in. Plenty of players not at their best. Maybe, just maybe, these blokes who are pressing for selection are getting close, but still not good enough to earn selection ? Maybe the MC has gone all risk averse because they would rather go with tried and true instead of taking risks, giving that it appears to be finals or bust for Teague. Maybe the nothing practice matches up till now are not a reliable form indicator ? Maybe Murphy's experience and other attributes are getting him over the line ?

In short, there is no basis for thinking the club has gone all sickly sweet like an overripe mango, and there's no basis for thinking anyone is being gifted games.

Reply #239
This is the team - apologies for the crap formatting :

Carlton
FB [26] Luke Parks, [14] Liam Jones,[20] Lachie Plowman

HB [15] Sam Docherty, [23] Jacob Weitering, [42] Adam Saad

C [43] Will Setterfield, [18] Sam Walsh, [32] Jack Newnes

HF [8] Lachie Fogarty, [10] Harry McKay, [1] Jack Silvagni

FF [19] Eddie Betts, [41] Levi Casboult, [6] Zac Williams

FOL [27] Marc Pittonet, [2] Paddy Dow, [9] Patrick Cripps

I/C [5] Sam Petrevski-Seton, [35] Ed Curnow, [40] Michael Gibbons, [3] Marc Murphy

Emerg [31] Tom Williamson, [46] Matthew Cottrell, [39] Oscar McDonald, [7] Matthew Kennedy