Skip to main content
Topic: Jarryd Hayne (Read 49018 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Jarryd Hayne

Reply #105
That's no doubt the play.  I assume the criticism would be that Hayne should have ensured he was at the 1st down marker so that a completed catch would result in a 1st down.  That's especially the case where the QB is out of the pocket and he can throw it away anyway - 4 & 3 isn't much different from 4 & 1 if you have to punt it away anyway.  I've heard the same criticism directed at other receivers who've failed to establish a position in 1st down territory.

Reply #106
That's no doubt the play.  I assume the criticism would be that Hayne should have ensured he was at the 1st down marker so that a completed catch would result in a 1st down.  That's especially the case where the QB is out of the pocket and he can throw it away anyway - 4 & 3 isn't much different from 4 & 1 if you have to punt it away anyway.  I've heard the same criticism directed at other receivers who've failed to establish a position in 1st down territory.

Well he started off being a blocker, but everyone was picked up and the QB was flushed, so he eventually decided to run down field, he never even got a chance to get to the first down line before the QB dished it to him. He didn't stop short, he just never got there. Unfair criticism IMO.
You can view the play from here - http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2015122705/2015/REG16/49ers@lions?icampaign=GamePass_ScoreStrip_watch#menu=gamepass&tab=recap - it is the next video along scroll right (with Hayne #38 shown).

Should he have left his blocking assignment (or lack of) earlier? Possibly, but its better than leavin too soon and the QB gets sacked.

Reply #107
No, I agree he did well there, so it must have been another play.

This is what Tomsula said at his presser:

Tomsula said Hayne “represented himself well” but was not 100 percent convinced, however, detailing a play where Hayne just failed to reach a first down.

“Jarryd has to get to the sticks there,” Tomsula said in the post-match press conference.

“He has to run that route to the sticks there. That’s just what has to happen there.”

If he was talking about the play in that clip, then he was being harsh.

PS: ...unless the play was designed as a screen pass and Hayne was the go-to receiver.  But it looked more like a busted play.

Reply #108
We have often heard the criticism of trying to turn athletes into AFL players (and how it doesnt work) and in this case it appears the NFL have tried this experiment with Hayne.

He still might make it, but Kruddler makes some really fair criticism of Hayne and its geared around the above thought process.

The last time our footy club looked at this thought process would be Sam Jacobs vs Shaun Hampson.

One was a pudgy kid who could ruck, and the other was an athlete with good size that could be anything.

One has become a better athlete who can ruck and is regarded as one of the top ruckmen in the game without being the best, the other could still be anything but probably wont amount to much without some of the nuances really sinking in.

Odds are even if Hayne "makes it" he wont be elite, the 49ers are better off recruiting a pudgy running back with all the brains, and trying to get the athlete side of him sorted.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #109

Where's all the Packer fans now? I said we'd rival you for the divisional title. Now we are tied with a head to head to decide it!

I'm still here Krudd, The Vikings have done well to go past the Lions in a very short space of time. And from what I have read they were coming from a fair way back!

The Packers have had a Carlton like season with injuries this year, we have made the playoffs, but i doubt we will make much of an impression once the play off's actually get going.

You know you have a strong division when you have 2 sides get to the play off in 2 consecutive years, Lions and Packers last year, Vikings and Packers this year.
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #110
As for Hayne, it's nice to see he is getting game time, but he is far from setting the world on fire.

I'm far from getting excited about him, yet.

Reply #111

DeJuan Harris* - 11 attempts for 73 yards with a long of 25. - Also 1 catch for 11 yards

Harris beat him all round.

* Should be noted that Harris was only signed to the team this week because they are paper thin in the running backs area - which was also why Hayne was promoted to the game)

Pretty sure Harris was cut from the Packers roster earlier this season, he was our 4th RB last season, but was overtaken by an undrafted rookie in this years pre-season.

5 of those 8 clubs have been this year Krudds, since the Packers released him!!

Reply #112
Pretty sure Harris was cut from the Packers roster earlier this season, he was our 4th RB last season, but was overtaken by an undrafted rookie in this years pre-season.

5 of those 8 clubs have been this year Krudds, since the Packers released him!!

Yeah the Vikes picked him up 9 days after the packers released him....in the off-season....and cut him in the pre-season.

Reply #113
I'm still here Krudd, The Vikings have done well to go past the Lions in a very short space of time. And from what I have read they were coming from a fair way back!

The Packers have had a Carlton like season with injuries this year, we have made the playoffs, but i doubt we will make much of an impression once the play off's actually get going.

You know you have a strong division when you have 2 sides get to the play off in 2 consecutive years, Lions and Packers last year, Vikings and Packers this year.

Packers and injuries? Who haven't you had? Most of your playmakers are still around.

Vikes have had more than their fair share of injuries too.
We lost starting RT and C for the year in the pre-season. BANG.
We were without our best DB, LB and DT for about a month all at the same time. (Smith, Barr and Joseph) and our defense couldn't cope.
We also lost our starting WR early on, for a few games. Had to start a 5th round rookie in his place....thankfully, Diggs, has turned out to be probably the best rookie WR in the league and is now starting.

Anyway, should be a good game. If we lose, we'll have to do it all again the following week at Lambeau.  :o

Reply #114
Jordy Nelson, our No 1 WR has been out all year, Davante Adams and Jared Abbrederis, our 3rd and 4th WR have also missed more than a few games each. We even had to bring James Jones back to Green Bay after releasing him 2 years ago. (He actually did ok for us early in the season, nothing of note since the bye though.)

Andrew Quarless our No 1 TE has missed most of the season, Luckily Richard Rogers has stood up for us in that position.

But all too often Aaron Rogers just hasn't had anyone to throw the ball to.
Our O-line has been a revolving door, with 1-2 of the starters usually missing each week.
Eddie Lacy our No 1 RB has only missed 1 game but has been playing injured a lot. Only 3 games for 100 yards is well down on his expected production.

Our defense has stood up reasonably well, but our offence which is usually our strength has not had any consistency this year, and has been well down on expected production.

I have very low expectations for Packers for the rest of the season, good luck to the Vikings in the play off's !!

Reply #115
Well he started off being a blocker, but everyone was picked up and the QB was flushed, so he eventually decided to run down field, he never even got a chance to get to the first down line before the QB dished it to him. He didn't stop short, he just never got there. Unfair criticism IMO.
You can view the play from here - http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2015122705/2015/REG16/49ers@lions?icampaign=GamePass_ScoreStrip_watch#menu=gamepass&tab=recap - it is the next video along scroll right (with Hayne #38 shown).

Should he have left his blocking assignment (or lack of) earlier? Possibly, but its better than leavin too soon and the QB gets sacked.

The QB washed flushed because Hayne completely missed his assignment.
Hayne then ran to a pointless position which contributed nothing to the teams efforts to achieve a 1st down.
Criticism entirely justified IMHO.

Reply #116
THE San Francisco 49ers cannot definitively say which position Jarryd Hayne is most suited to after his first season in the NFL, but offensive coordinator Geep Chryst has seen enough to suggest the Australian could pose a threat “on both sides of the ball” next season.

Speaking before the 49ers’ season finale against the St Louis Rams, Chryst said it was difficult to pigeon hole Hayne as a special teams ace, a receiver or a third-down back after a debut season defined by promise and frustration in equal measure.

“All those labels we want to define him,” Chryst told reporters. “But he’s kind of an outlier in that he can carry the ball, he can catch the ball, he can run. We’ll have to wait and see where it goes.”

Chryst suggested Hayne was well and truly part of the 49ers’ plans for 2016.

“With experience, he’ll become a really dynamic special-teams player, on both sides of the ball,” Chryst said. “He’s big, he’s hard to block. As he works on fielding punts, he’s going to be a really exciting player to watch moving forward, and we really like him.

“He doesn’t back away from or have to ease into the game. He’s excited to be out there and he’s making plays.”

It will be interesting to see how his career progresses next season.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #117
It will be interesting to see how his career progresses next season.

All that is saying he has a lot of potential, but we can't find a position that he can excel in because he doesn't know enough about the game.

Reply #118
All that is saying he has a lot of potential, but we can't find a position that he can excel in because he doesn't know enough about the game.

Hayne admits that he has a lot to learn:

"I guess over time I'm going to get better," Hayne, who says he can not wait to fly back to Sydney, spend time with friends and family, swim in the surf and drink plenty of coffee, said.

"I'm excited for my future because I'm still learning and still developing."

But Geep Chryst is saying that Hayne has so much upside that they don't yet know how to best use him.  Anyway, it seems that it will be a new team management and coaches who will have that problem next season.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #119
But Geep Chryst is saying that Hayne has so much upside that they don't yet know how to best use him.  Anyway, it seems that it will be a new team management and coaches who will have that problem next season.

Hayne has a very limited window to make something of him.

Running backs barely get a gig after 30. Hayne turns 28 next month.

Adrian Peterson is like the Chris Judd of NFL running backs. He is 30 this year and is leading the NFL rushing title. That is basically unheard of. Running backs are a young mans game.
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/rush_yds_year_by_year.htm

Since 1932, there has only been 2 players who have won the rushing title being 30yo or more. (Only 1 since 1950!) This year Peterson could make it 3.

Hayne simply converted too late. Too much to learn and not enough time to do it.