Skip to main content
Topic: Jarryd Hayne (Read 49078 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Jarryd Hayne

Reply #45
Take away the nervous first-up drop seems like he had a good game in his first real hitout. Will just get better from here. For someone with no background in the game he's doing pretty well.

No, he's doing exceptionally well.

This is what people need to understand from my critique of him.

I am an doing it from an unbiased position, as in, if i was coach and he was on my team.
What can he give me in terms of output. At this stage, very little.

From an Aussie point of view, he's doing something nobody else has done. He is to be commended and applauded for it. Great story. He will get better every week.

BUT, fact is, compared to his competition, he is below average. That is not a slight on him, thats just the reality. There are 350million americans. College football coaches are the highest paid profession in something like 20% of states in america. It is HUGE business that a lot of people take very seriously. This is what he is competing with. Don't lose site of that. He is so far behind the 8-ball that he may never catch up. Doesn't mean what he has done hasn't been amazing.

Perspective people.

Reply #46
Take away the nervous first-up drop seems like he had a good game in his first real hitout. Will just get better from here. For someone with no background in the game he's doing pretty well.

That's the way I see it too - admittedly from an uninformed perspective.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #47
@Kruddler

I think we all appreciate the fact that he still has a lot to learn.
It's just a bit of a kick to see him doing as well as he has.
There was always going to be a "fumble" moment somewhere along the way.

This is not like a very good college basketballer coming from the USA to try his hand at Australian Football.... as sometimes happens.
This is akin to LeBron James coming out to play.
Imagine if it was an Ablett or Fyfe who made the move
That's why the hype.

I'm not sure about the coverage it's getting in Melbourne but it's a bit of a  "kick along" for the sport of NFL up here.

Reply #48
I have read a articles from the US and we also have to be careful of tall poppy syndrome in talking down his efforts as well. Some pretty well respected commentators on the game and former players have really talked up his capabilities. Jerry Rice said he reminded him of himself, that is incredible praise, another commentator said if 49ers had not have taken him, 20 other clubs would have, he had displayed enough to that stage.

He could fail, but most are putting their money on him making it from what I can see and these are people who really do know the game as well, not Aussie jounos
Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Reply #49
I reckon he will make it.

why?

Well, he is good enough to be a depth player, and it suits an agenda for them to have an Australian "be succesful" in converting to the game.

It opens up another market for them, its a feel good story, and from a marketing perspective might give the game more spotlight in another country which all adds up to $$$ for TV rights.

He will be given every opportunity, and only if he is rubbish will they cast him off.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #50
http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=9030834

Jarryd Hayne's NFL regular-season debut for the San Francisco 49ers drew a television audience of 116,000 for ESPN in Australia, topping last season's record mark of 107,100 for the Super Bowl XLVIII.

Monday's match against the Minnesota Vikings was broadcast live at 12.15pm and was the biggest audience ever for the sports network, according to media, marketing and entertainment website Mumbrella.

Reply #51
I have read a articles from the US and we also have to be careful of tall poppy syndrome in talking down his efforts as well. Some pretty well respected commentators on the game and former players have really talked up his capabilities. Jerry Rice said he reminded him of himself, that is incredible praise, another commentator said if 49ers had not have taken him, 20 other clubs would have, he had displayed enough to that stage.

He could fail, but most are putting their money on him making it from what I can see and these are people who really do know the game as well, not Aussie jounos

I've watched plenty of NFL people talk about him too.

In Australia we do have tall poppy syndrome.
In america they have whatever the opposite is. They talk people up so much. I made mention of Tebowmania before. No club wants him now and he is becoming a commentator.
The NBA had LINsanity for a while and he was the next greatest thing. He couldn't even get through the front door at his new team because security didn't believe he actually played.

I agree with Thry, he will stick around because of his story. Americans love aussies. He is getting extra coverage because there were 2 aussies in the NBA finals recently. Aussies, and thus Hayne, are very much flavour of the month in american sports.

I have talked about Hayne with 4 separate people, 2 of which are 49ers supporters. None of which think what he has done deserve the hype he is getting.

Reply #52
I reckon he will make it.

why?

Well, he is good enough to be a depth player, and it suits an agenda for them to have an Australian "be succesful" in converting to the game.

It opens up another market for them, its a feel good story, and from a marketing perspective might give the game more spotlight in another country which all adds up to $$$ for TV rights.

He will be given every opportunity, and only if he is rubbish will they cast him off.

I think he will too, but I don't think it has to do with marketing.
Pro Ball is way to big a sport to pick a random aussie for the story. It is cut throat and he is only there on merit.
Make no mistake this industry is brutal. I don't follow it as much since I am back in Australia, but it is massive in the states at college and pro level. Building their base in Australia would not mean enough to have a player who can't play at pro level.

He may be depth, but as you can see if he is on the field and making mistakes like that, the 49ers will be scored against.
No he is there because they genuinely think he is a good enough footballer, which is remarkable.
Goals for 2017
=============

Reply #54
I think he will too, but I don't think it has to do with marketing.
Pro Ball is way to big a sport to pick a random aussie for the story. It is cut throat and he is only there on merit.
Make no mistake this industry is brutal. I don't follow it as much since I am back in Australia, but it is massive in the states at college and pro level. Building their base in Australia would not mean enough to have a player who can't play at pro level.

He may be depth, but as you can see if he is on the field and making mistakes like that, the 49ers will be scored against.
No he is there because they genuinely think he is a good enough footballer, which is remarkable.

Of course MIO. I agree.   That's why I said he'd get every opportunity to prove he is up to it unless he is complete rubbish but we know from our own team how much a convert can be scapegoated if they travel poorly.

Tuohy and Setanta have both been criticised to the point where everyone else was pretty crap too was ignored but the soft targets are easily hit.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #55
Quote from: Hayne
"I still have a long way to go and learned a tough lesson tonight," said Hayne in the locker room after the match.

It's ok when he says it...but not when i say it.  ???

Reply #56
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #57
Yeah he is at about 25% fumble/drop on punt returns so far, which isn't going to cut it, but the latest one is a rookie mistake. He takes the hit holding the ball and there is no problem, he just needs to learn that more. Kids learn that in high school, he still has some real potential, but he will not get that many more chances.
Goals for 2017
=============

Reply #58
So.....for all the people chastising me for telling it how it is....anyone want to make an apology?

Didn't even suit up today.

Reply #59
So.....for all the people chastising me for telling it how it is....anyone want to make an apology?

Didn't even suit up today.

I'll admit I know very little about it .
So yep you called it pretty right.
The thing is that punt return thing is a bit of a wanky position.
He'd be a lot better just running the ball but it looks like there are a couple of pretty competent blokes in front of him.