Skip to main content
Topic: Jarryd Hayne (Read 49047 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Jarryd Hayne

Reply #60
I'll admit I know very little about it .
So yep you called it pretty right.
The thing is that punt return thing is a bit of a wanky position.
He'd be a lot better just running the ball but it looks like there are a couple of pretty competent blokes in front of him.

It is a wanky position, but that is the reason he made the team. If he can't do that, he's got no hope.

The thing with running the ball is you can't fumble it. If you do, your career will be very short. The fact he keeps fumbling on punt returns means coaches are not likely to take a chance with him on offense.

Reply #61
In fairness to him, he has made two rookie mistakes. In one he didn't protect the ball, the other he didn't read the drop/swirl.

I think they will persist with him a bit longer, because he is a very talented athlete and they know this, but there is work to do. He was also shown up with not covering the quarterback, but he isn't the first running back or in Tackle/Guard to do that either, or else we would seen a QB ever sacked.

I think another major drop though in his next game and it would be thanks, but it isn't working.
If he was born a yank playing the game he would likely be an absolute superstar of the game, that is why they will keep trying I think.

That and they are sh1te anyway. Just about the worst team in the country, so his mistakes are not costing games any more than other players on the team, just the spotlight is right on him.

At least that is my take on it.
They could just cut him as well :)
Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Reply #62
In fairness to him, he has made two rookie mistakes. In one he didn't protect the ball, the other he didn't read the drop/swirl.

I think they will persist with him a bit longer, because he is a very talented athlete and they know this, but there is work to do. He was also shown up with not covering the quarterback, but he isn't the first running back or in Tackle/Guard to do that either, or else we would seen a QB ever sacked.

I think another major drop though in his next game and it would be thanks, but it isn't working.
If he was born a yank playing the game he would likely be an absolute superstar of the game, that is why they will keep trying I think.

That and they are sh1te anyway. Just about the worst team in the country, so his mistakes are not costing games any more than other players on the team, just the spotlight is right on him.

At least that is my take on it.
They could just cut him as well :)

...and thats what i was saying about him. He has so much to learn just to catch up to high school guys in terms of basics.

Even IF he gets that up to scratch and he hasn't been cut in the meantime, he still needs to leapfrog blokes who are likely faster, stronger and more knowledgeable than him to even make an impact.

Never knocked the bloke for what he has been able to achieve, but things are so far stacked against him, that reality is that he will not live up to even half the amount of hype surrounding him. Which was my point.

Reply #63
I reckon that he has achieved far more than most folk expected and I suspect that he will go on to bigger and better things.  It's not going to happen overnight though and he will have to address some basic skill errors if he is to progress.

Clearly, those that gave him the opportunity to play NFL understood his limitations and his upside and I suspect that their assessment is a lot closer to the mark than that of the armchair critics - Kruddler's expertise notwithstanding  ;)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #64
Just quietly the only reason he has a spot is because he is an Aussie convert and gets us talking more about the game down under.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #65
Just quietly the only reason he has a spot is because he is an Aussie convert and gets us talking more about the game down under.

I really don't think they give a fat rat's clacker about whether we're talking about the game.  The potential market here is minuscule compared to what they have now and they are too hard-nosed to consider novelty value. 

Perhaps he was cheap  ???
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #66
Well Kruddler was right.

You don't get to drop the ball too often ;D

Sky News reporting....
Hayne has been 'released' by the 49ers
Get the first plane home Jarryd....and we'll rookie draft you ;)

( Edit: It seems as though the 49ers have dropped Hayne to elevate another player. They can drop Hayne back to their non-playing squad or he can be picked up by another team.)

http://www.foxsports.com.au/us-sports/nfl/jarryd-hayne-san-francisco-49ers-australian-waived-to-make-way-for-running-back-kendall-gaskins/story-fnp3l4e4-1227589708199

Reply #67
It's over for Hayne, he dropped the ball!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #68
Hayne will get picked up by another team or go to the 49ers practice squad.....he still has a chance to make it...

Reply #69
Some folk are suggesting that Hayne is a scapegoat for the 49ers' poor form:

Former St. Louis Cardinals defensive end Colin Scotts was furious with the San Francisco franchise for culling Hayne, saying he was being blamed for the whole team’s poor performances.

“Jarryd was the first scapegoat, it’s devastating to me. They’ve made a massive mistake,” Scotts said while speaking on Fox Sports News.

“If I showed you last week when he missed a block I can show you a dozen other players who are missing blocks also on just one play, but he gets amplified because he’s Australian and they say he’s inexperienced and gets made a scapegoat.

“They are a team that is desperate. They’re panicking, they’re looking for someone to blame.

“49ers, I’m sorry, mate, but I’m disgusted.”

Hayne is still positive about his future and I reckon, if attitude is anything to go on, he will succeed.

Reply #70
For those of us who don't really understand the game it's a bit bizarre.

My gut feeling is that if they'd played to his strengths and given him some extended time running the ball then we would have seen him in a much better light than what we have.
But he really hasn't been given that opportunity so it's a little frustrating.

Still they're obsessed with this ball security....so he'll find it hard.
If another team picks him up will he have to learn a whole lot of new plays?

Reply #71
For those of us who don't really understand the game it's a bit bizarre.

My gut feeling is that if they'd played to his strengths and given him some extended time running the ball then we would have seen him in a much better light than what we have.
But he really hasn't been given that opportunity so it's a little frustrating.

Still they're obsessed with this ball security....so he'll find it hard.

I cant answer much about NFL, but generally speaking, they all use the same (or similar) plays with a few variances largely centred around the skillset of the teams at the time.

We bang on about the AFL over and over again and game plans, but largely the game plan is not as important as to how well drilled the side is.  If they all are on the same page they execute plans and the team plays better more often than not, and the same applies to NFL, or any team sport really.

Hayne will have to learn a few new things at a different club, but largely it would centre around his teammates, and how they play rather than new plans so to speak.  They all know each other's plans too, as they have to counter them.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #72
This is an absolute elite athlete...his mindset would be "I'll show them I have what it takes."
Hopefully he's given an opportunity.
If not the NRL will welcome him back with open arms. ;)

Reply #73

Yeap that is what will make it tough.
But what is a bit stupid here is that the 49ers are in the best position to play him.
Their season is already over, they are crape. He might have let his QB get sacked, but then they have been sacked already 25 times this season.
He hasn't cost them this season, their entire team has.

You would hope Seattle or someone picks him up instead of 49ers as I think he is more chance of getting a shot.
Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Reply #74
Hayne is back on the 49ers' roster and is set to play . . .

Just a few hours after San Francisco 49ers head coach Jim Tomsula confirmed Reggie Bush as the team's top punt returner, Hayne was thrown a lifeline and is set to play the St Louis Rams on Sunday (Monday AEDT).

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/us-sports/injury-paves-way-for-jarryd-hayne-nfl-return-for-san-francisco-49ers-20151030-gknj4f.html#ixzz3qKKn3mnf