Skip to main content
Topic: Formula 1 (Read 89307 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Formula 1

Reply #135
Mr Saturday finally gets beaten, and its by the blink of an eye by a bloke who has driven the same car he just stepped into for years.

Now Bottas is not a great starter and he is not a great overtaker. Russell is a bit of an unknown in that regard because his car has never been good enough.

To me i think Verstappen is the one to watch. His car is good enough, he has the aggressive driving style to make the passes on the short track. If he can keep his calm, he'll be on the podium, potentially the top step.

A wildcard for you is Danny Ric. He can look after his tyres as good as anyone and that should allow him to stay out longer and gain places while people are in the pits.....and we know he can overtake with the best of them. He'll get plenty of chances here. Hopefully his car is up for the challenge.

Don't discount the racing points too. If they can stay on track, they'll both be top 6 IMO.

I underestimated them. Both top 3!

In fairness, if Mercedes didn't shoot themselves in the foot......and verstappen was a victim of circumstance. They would've been 4th and 6th.

Anyone doubting Russell ability now is kidding themselves.

If i was Mercedes i'd be signing him up now to take over from Bottas ASAP. He has 1 year to go, so get Russell in the car with Hamilton in 2022.

Poor Checo Perez still doesn't have a drive for 2021, i'd be giving him Albons spot in the 2nd red bull.

One of the great races!

Reply #136
Imagine the press if it was Hamilton not Russell that got the wrong tyres.  What a stuff up!

Russell won't be at Mercedes if Hamilton is, particularly if Hamilton has any input.

Hate to be Russell and have to go back to a Williams this weekend.

Reply #137
I think politically McLaren have pulled the pin on Ricciardo, they have seen what Brit Lando Norris can do with the car "as is", Lando being a Brit doesn't help Ricciardo.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #138
I think politically McLaren have pulled the pin on Ricciardo, they have seen what Brit Lando Norris can do with the car "as is", Lando being a Brit doesn't help Ricciardo.
The joys of Formula 1 politics
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #139
I think politically McLaren have pulled the pin on Ricciardo, they have seen what Brit Lando Norris can do with the car "as is", Lando being a Brit doesn't help Ricciardo.
Same was being said when Danny ric started at Renault. Halfway through the year, he got the car sorted and away he went.

How many days did Ricciardo get in pre season testing?
1.5 days. That's it.
Then, bang, race weekend.

First race he had damage to the floor which hurt him.
Last race they stuffed up a pit stop that made him have to fight for a spot he already had.
Things haven't gone his way yet, but it's way too early to make any long term calls. Let him settle in first.

Reply #140
Same was being said when Danny ric started at Renault. Halfway through the year, he got the car sorted and away he went.

How many days did Ricciardo get in pre season testing?
1.5 days. That's it.
Then, bang, race weekend.

First race he had damage to the floor which hurt him.
Last race they stuffed up a pit stop that made him have to fight for a spot he already had.
Things haven't gone his way yet, but it's way too early to make any long term calls. Let him settle in first.
It's a level playing field and despite all the excuses you want to make the public comments from the McLaren management can't be ignored. They responded to Ricciardo's claims of problems at the weekend and said it was primarily Ricciardo's fault due to mistakes in practise, qualifying and race.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #141
It's a level playing field and despite all the excuses you want to make the public comments from the McLaren management can't be ignored. They responded to Ricciardo's claims of problems at the weekend and said it was primarily Ricciardo's fault due to mistakes in practise, qualifying and race.

Its not a level playing field though.

Norris has been at McLaren for a while now. Ricciardo has just walked in the door. His team wouldn't even know how to setup the car the way he wants yet. Ricciardo might not even be able to get articulate what he wants from his engineers to get him what he wants.

Norris doesn't have any of those issues.

In football terms, Danny Ric is the new recruit who is trying to work out which of his teammates is a left footer and which players will chase and cover for him. Norris is club captain and has everyone on the same page.

Reply #142
Ricciardo overrated and full of himself, can't stand him.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #143
Ricciardo overrated and full of himself, can't stand him.
Its called confidence.

The F1 drivers nominated the best drivers on the grid last year.
1. Hamilton
2. Verstappen
3. Ricciardo

FWIW, Bottas didn't make the top 10.

Ricciardo can drive, just give him half a season to settle in and results will follow later in the year, bookmark it. ;)

Reply #144
Its called confidence.

The F1 drivers nominated the best drivers on the grid last year.
1. Hamilton
2. Verstappen
3. Ricciardo

FWIW, Bottas didn't make the top 10.

Ricciardo can drive, just give him half a season to settle in and results will follow later in the year, bookmark it. ;)
Ill stick to my rating.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #145
So.....Danny Ric outperforms Norris....easily during the race.

*crickets*

Reply #147
Or is just as I described, Ricciardo well get better the more time he spends in the car.

Reply #148
Ferrari are a rabble
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th