Skip to main content
Topic: God help me - the Test Cricket thread (Read 84874 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: God help me - the Test Cricket thread

Reply #330
Losing the cricket theme, but it is an interesting conversation.

In the work circles that I have, diversity focus is particularly on boards - young, old, gender, ethnicity - but still needing to do the job.

I think that quotas have helped the Labor party get many of its women in.  Sure, the talent started off with a low bar, but as time has gone on, it has shown other women that politics is something that they can be involved in, so more have become involved.  Society has to be better off for that.  AFLW will be an example of that, and I actually don't mind watching women's cricket.

I certainly feel for those who are pushed out of the workforce because they aren't 'diverse'.  Employing someone is all about discrimination until the final one is chosen (typo in that CV, next, don't like your name, next, CV too long, next, CV too short, next, hasn't got 5 years experience for a job that needs none, next - then all the issues that Thry has described, but none written down or spoken about)

Reply #331
The real issue with it, is we start to practice the exact sort of discrimination they fight against.

Imagine campaigning your whole life to smash the glass ceiling, only for them to prioritise the hiring of people who are not the best candidate available, but instead making the decision based on quotas and targets to have equal representation.

You went to university, but you are a heterosexual male who is married with two kids?  Really sorry, but you miss out on the job.  We need to hire someone who is either Aboriginal, or of Asian/African background, ideally a female, and ideally in a same sex relationship.  Birth gender being the opposite of the one you currently identify for bonus points and credentials just need to be somewhere close to your level of qualification and it will do.  Oh, no experience necessary in that case to.  You go straight to go.

Its not the society I was told we should be fostering.

And start off with HR managers ... mostly feral man hating females. 

Reply #332
And start off with HR managers ... mostly feral man hating females. 
HR managers in general are just stooges of the management, we had a female who fitted your description, her husband ditched her and she decided the rest of the male population at work would have to suffer for it. Funny thing was she accidentally paid around 650k into my super account by mistake, I did the right thing after mulling it over  :) and contacted the super fund who said it would never have been picked up from their end :'(  and they were grateful but not a word of thanks from Ms HR who did her best to avoid me from that point on and was totally useless when I retired early and needed paperwork signed etc.

Reply #333
More evidence that doing the right thing gets you nowhere EB - the bastards are winning, by daylight.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #334
HR managers in general are just stooges of the management, we had a female who fitted your description, her husband ditched her and she decided the rest of the male population at work would have to suffer for it. Funny thing was she accidentally paid around 650k into my super account by mistake, I did the right thing after mulling it over  :) and contacted the super fund who said it would never have been picked up from their end :'(  and they were grateful but not a word of thanks from Ms HR who did her best to avoid me from that point on and was totally useless when I retired early and needed paperwork signed etc.

Wouldn't feed em.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #335
Many of the academics that argue along the lines for quotas have academic "tenure", it's a huge contradiction!

Like Amal Clooney, they debate something that doesn't apply to them!

Academics with tenure?  I’d like to see that!
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #336
Quote from: Rohit Sharma
“The pitch is the same for both teams, so I don’t know why there is so much discussion about it. Pitches have been prepared like this in India for years,” Rohit said ahead of the third Test in Ahmedabad, which begins on Wednesday AEDT.

“Every side takes advantage of home conditions even when we travel ... When we travel they (opponents) make our life difficult.

“We make pitches according to our preferences, that’s why it’s called home advantage. Otherwise take away home advantage and ask the ICC to make a rule to prepare the same pitches in India and outside India.”
Can you imagine it if we handed a green top to Starc and Cummins during an Indian tour?

FFS, .............. India is the victim ......... didn't they refuse to play a test in Perth because the wicket gave Australia too much advantage! :o

The Force Awakens!

Reply #338
@DJC‍  It's a global perspective, not just domestic.

I think that you will find that academic tenure is limited to some high ranking professors in a few countries such as the USA, Canada, and Germany.  Most academics are on short-term or ongoing contracts and in Australia many are casual employees.

I actually think that the tenure system was antiquated, subject to abuse and did not encourage quality research or teaching.  Casual and short-term employment may be the contemporary norm, but it certainly doesn't encourage research and teaching.  I would prefer to see academics on fixed term or ongoing contracts ... but that's way off topic.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #339
I think that you will find that academic tenure is limited to some high ranking professors in a few countries such as the USA, Canada, and Germany.  Most academics are on short-term or ongoing contracts and in Australia many are casual employees.

I actually think that the tenure system was antiquated, subject to abuse and did not encourage quality research or teaching.  Casual and short-term employment may be the contemporary norm, but it certainly doesn't encourage research and teaching.  I would prefer to see academics on fixed term or ongoing contracts ... but that's way off topic.
Melbourne Uni is full of tenured academics on big money who teach 12 hours a week contact hours and complain about it. The Arts area including the old VCA is a tenure goldmine. Lots of academics who have been there 20 years plus just waiting to collect that pot of gold super which they have been building up at 12% plus.

Reply #340
T20 performance yesterday was very average.  Stoinis has a nerve bagging out teammates....when did that puffed up gym rat last (or ever?) deliver at an international level?   Maxwell gets bagged for inconsistency, but at least he's done something!

Reply #341
T20 performance yesterday was very average.  Stoinis has a nerve bagging out teammates....when did that puffed up gym rat last (or ever?) deliver at an international level?  Maxwell gets bagged for inconsistency, but at least he's done something!
Yesterday's game was all about the anniversary of the Christchurch Quake, as far as I'm concerned it went to script even if the Saffie won the game for NZ.

And that Saffie playing for NZ, yet another consequence of quotas at the top level, like SA can afford to surrender players to other test nations!

I have no problem with quotas at lower levels, domestic and suburban sport, fine, but at elite level you should earn a spot not be rewarded a spot!

I wonder if AFL will eventually have indigenous quotas, perhaps the Filth first based on recent events!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #342
Aren't Indigenous players over represented* in the AFL relative to the percentage of the population? 

*note I'm using this term as I don't know the appropriate statistical moniker. It's not a judgement call or anything of that ilk.

Reply #343
Aren't Indigenous players over represented* in the AFL relative to the percentage of the population? 

*note I'm using this term as I don't know the appropriate statistical moniker. It's not a judgement call or anything of that ilk.
 Not at the Filth it seems! ;D
The Force Awakens!

Reply #344
Yesterday's game was all about the anniversary of the Christchurch Quake, as far as I'm concerned it went to script even if the Saffie won the game for NZ.

And that Saffie playing for NZ, yet another consequence of quotas at the top level, like SA can afford to surrender players to other test nations!

I have no problem with quotas at lower levels, domestic and suburban sport, fine, but at elite level you should earn a spot not be rewarded a spot!

I wonder if AFL will eventually have indigenous quotas, perhaps the Filth first based on recent events!

Indigenous players are seriously over-represented in the AFL.  Quotas would have to be for other ethnic groups  :)

On the other hand, Indigenous players are seriously under-represented in cricket ...

Giving youngsters of all persuasions an equal opportunity and encouragement to take part in sport would be far more effective than any quota system.