Skip to main content
Topic: Harris at Odds over Contract Talks (Read 9258 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Harris at Odds over Contract Talks

Reply #30
But she's "entitled" Thry.  ..... and immature 

Reply #31
If we had to make a choice, would it be a big bonus for Tayla Harris or a raise for Mimi Hill?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #32
If we had to make a choice, would it be a big bonus for Tayla Harris or a raise for Mimi Hill?
That's like saying would you buy a new car, or a cab off shift drink.
Completely different scales.

For the 7,342nd time, the money for Tayla would not be salary cap money, it would be ASAs.

Hill will be missing for part or all of the season with a knee anyway

Reply #33
For the 7,342nd time, the money for Tayla would not be salary cap money, it would be ASAs.
It's money that Tayla's manager wants our club to pay, with very little Carlton specific benefit relative to other AFLW Tier 1 players.

So I maintain that the AFL or AFLW should be the ones paying for the Instagram social justice presence, not Carlton FC.

Is Mimi Hill or Abbe McKay not marketable commodities to Carlton, what does their manager think?

Like it or not, the earnings disparity will impact the list, if not immediately then eventually as it would in any football club.

Finally, as an ASA is this money Tayla gets regardless of game time, if so does she intend to give up boxing or at least postpone her boxing career until after she retires from AFLW? I wonder how the Tayla Harris demand compares to Erin Phillips remuneration?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #34
It's money that Tayla's manager wants our club to pay, with very little Carlton specific benefit relative to other AFLW Tier 1 players.

So I maintain that the AFL or AFLW should be the ones paying for the Instagram social justice presence, not Carlton FC.

Is Mimi Hill or Abbe McKay not marketable commodities to Carlton, what does their manager think?

Like it or not, the earnings disparity will impact the list, if not immediately then eventually as it would in any football club.

Finally, as an ASA is this money Tayla gets regardless of game time, if so does she intend to give up boxing or at least postpone her boxing career until after she retires from AFLW? I wonder how the Tayla Harris demand compares to Erin Phillips remuneration?
Is money that Tayla wants, she and her manager don't care who fits the bill. Hence why I linked the Eddie article saying the afl should pony up some cash. Just like izzy follau was getting plenty, but some of it was from the afl outside salary cap. It's been done before.

Fyi, Tayla was a tier 2 player this year. A tier 1 would only get another 4k.

....and YOU were the one saying the afl or aflw should pay up? Pretty sure I stated that first, again the Eddie article....which you clearly didn't read.

If you think mimi or Abbie have similar marketability then this discussion is over. They wouldn't even suggest that themselves.

Asa are 'additional service agreements' it has nothing to do with playing time....which I've said 10,000 times now.

I'm not sure why it is so hard for you to superstructure Tayla the player from Tayla the 'symbol'.

Reply #35
I notice the recent reports about Tayla's ongoing contract dispute are reported in the "Entertainment" section of the The Hun newspaper.

I think that pretty much sums it up!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #36
I notice the recent reports about Tayla's ongoing contract dispute are reported in the "Entertainment" section of the The Hun newspaper.

I think that pretty much sums it up!
Yes it does. She is a marketing tool and thats where she earns her money. Which is what i've been saying all along.

Reply #37
Agreed the AFLW/AFL should pay for her marketing power. Unless any deal with Carlton allows Carlton to monetise her on digital platforms and in advertisements (which would mean her right to market herself would be restricted), it would be difficult for Carlton to benefit. The AFLW, on the other hand, would benefit greatly from any coverage of Tayla in any footy guernsey or holding a footy.

It reminds me of the old ads run by Optus. They featured various animals in cartoon form and they attracted much mocking for doing so rather than highlighting the features it offered. But marketing experts pointed out that focussing on its packages would help build interest in broadband packages but that would benefit the whole industry. By branding itself in that marketing campaign, Optus avoided smaller competitors free-riding off its expensive campaign.

Reply #38
She would probably do the AFLW more good if they dont pay her and she leaves the sport. 

Would highlight the inequities more.  Call me a cynic.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #39
Agreed the AFLW/AFL should pay for her marketing power. Unless any deal with Carlton allows Carlton to monetise her on digital platforms and in advertisements (which would mean her right to market herself would be restricted), it would be difficult for Carlton to benefit. The AFLW, on the other hand, would benefit greatly from any coverage of Tayla in any footy guernsey or holding a footy.
This has been my argument all along, the benefit to the AFLW is enormous while the benefit to Carlton is minimal.

Regardless of whether it's in or outside the TPP, it's still an operating cost. So why should Carlton carry the full cost and give some Jilly Come Lately like the Dawks a free AFLW marketing ride?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #40
She would probably do the AFLW more good if they dont pay her and she leaves the sport. 

Would highlight the inequities more.  Call me a cynic.
AFLW or Women's Sport in general would benefit, the outcry in the #MeToo era would be thunderous.

I have no problem with Tayla getting paid for marketing the game using her social media platforms, but paid from the AFL / AFLW in general because the dollars spent deliver benefit across the whole competition and favour Carlton very very little.

Carlton should spend Carlton money on Carlton stuff!

If the AFL and Tayla's Manager want to turn Tayla into AFLW Marketing droid, then let the AFL pay!

Isn't Carlton already spending enough on building the new AFLW Headquarters, do we have to advertise it at our own expense as well?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #43
looks like she's gone
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/tayla-harris-looking-for-new-aflw-club-as-talks-with-carlton-break-down-20210520-p57tta.html
Sell to the highest bidder.

I want early draft picks and a starting player.

I disagree that we are well stocked for key forwards too. Vescio plays there bit could play anywhere. Still play there as a small forward.
Nic Stevens cannot mark the ball but is a solid worker with a good left foot snap.
I'd be targeting a key forward and backup ruck, and mids.

Is Georgia Prespakis in this draft or next year? I'd be making sure we have a pick to get her, whichever year she is available.

Reply #44
looks like she's gone
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/tayla-harris-looking-for-new-aflw-club-as-talks-with-carlton-break-down-20210520-p57tta.html
Ta ta, no great loss.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time