Skip to main content
Topic: Harris at Odds over Contract Talks (Read 9716 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Harris at Odds over Contract Talks

Reply #45
Sad to see Tayla go. I think she was good for Carlton. Not sure what's going on with her pay demands, but anyway................

Reply #46
Ta ta, no great loss.
Tayla is a loss, but I can't get my head around her worth as an overhead to any one club.

Carlton will have the right to feel fully aggrieved if she moves to another club and that move is partially funded by the AFL.

In my opinion she is very poorly advised by her manager. I worry now that her previous good work in regards to Respect might be discounted, some will now have doubts about the validity of past events versus profiteering by design. In this Social Media driven world it's a natural connection for some to make even if it's completely unjustified, and those doubts will ironically potentially diminishes her future value and long term earnings, although she is likely to be held high as a hero to the more corporate psychopath monetisation types.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #47
Sad to see Tayla go. I think she was good for Carlton. Not sure what's going on with her pay demands, but anyway................

I find myself in two minds over the whole Tayla episode.

1. Her career as a boxer and AFLW player will be short lived, maybe another 4-7 years, so she has every right to do all she can to secure her long term financial future. Perfectly understandably.

2. However, and as harsh as this may sound, our club must manage its finances intelligently. No one is bigger than the club.

As difficult as it may be to wave her good-bye, and be strongly compensated, if it is to be... so be it.

She is an inspiration for women in sport, generally. I wish her the very best and to keep up her inspiration/role model ways. No matter what, her time at PP will always be well regarded, as it should be.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #48
Harfs statement on RSN regarding Tayla Harris:

"Tayla's skill set in AFLW is unique, the challenge for Tayla was to be able to do that week in, week in. From a list management perspective you've got to put a monetary value on that. Clearly we've been unable to make that work"

"The gap was too big, we haven't been able to find common ground for the contract. It's in the interest of both sides to see what we get can outside"

"Well she's taken that option to look for another club"

Fair enough!
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #49
I find myself in two minds over the whole Tayla episode.

1. Her career as a boxer and AFLW player will be short lived, maybe another 4-7 years, so she has every right to do all she can to secure her long term financial future. Perfectly understandably.

2. However, and as harsh as this may sound, our club must manage its finances intelligently. No one is bigger than the club.

As difficult as it may be to wave her good-bye, and be strongly compensated, if it is to be... so be it.

She is an inspiration for women in sport, generally. I wish her the very best and to keep up her inspiration/role model ways. No matter what, her time at PP will always be well regarded, as it should be.
 Nice summary!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #50
In terms of football.

I note the comments of Dimma who when asked about the performance of lynch and the prospect of going back to an old solitary dominant KPF setup, stated something like. "We've been down that road and it leads nowhere!"

This could be a good thing for our team. We have a fast paced running game style, and we might be much better of with several less obvious fast-paced F50 targets. Multiple paths to goal. Keep this in mind, when we kicked the record score Tayla was scoreless and had just 5 disposals!

https://womens.afl/match-centre/2021/3331/gcfc-v-carl#playerstats
The Force Awakens!

Reply #51
I would have thought there would have been middle ground for TH....she has asked for 150k probably expecting 100-120k in reality.
There has to be a goodwill value to her contract with what she provides off the field as well as on, I'm just really surprised how quickly the negotiations have come to a finale. If I was Jeannie Pratt or another benefactor with an interest in furthering the womens game and womens interests in general I would have found that money.
Call it a football scholarship what ever you like, give one to Tayla, maybe DarcyV...think outside the box a bit, put a bit of extra coin in their accounts  and demand a bit more from them in return.
The amount of money is a pittance and I reckon Tayla missing may cost the club more than that....

Reply #52
I would have thought there would have been middle ground for TH....she has asked for 150k probably expecting 100-120k in reality.
There has to be a goodwill value to her contract with what she provides off the field as well as on, I'm just really surprised how quickly the negotiations have come to a finale. If I was Jeannie Pratt or another benefactor with an interest in furthering the womens game and womens interests in general I would have found that money.
Call it a football scholarship what ever you like, give one to Tayla, maybe DarcyV...think outside the box a bit, put a bit of extra coin in their accounts  and demand a bit more from them in return.
The amount of money is a pittance and I reckon Tayla missing may cost the club more than that....
They do have a TPP @ElwoodBlues1‍, you have to find a way to qualify it under the rules or else it's going to be a penalty!

Anyway, it looks like so far Tayla's Manager has come up empty handed, with the other clubs baulking at the asking price.

Could she end up homeless? :o

Too costly to carry and too proud to settle!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #53
They do have a TPP @ElwoodBlues1‍, you have to find a way to qualify it under the rules or else it's going to be a penalty

Anyway, it looks like so far Tayla's Manager has come up empty handed, with the other clubs baulking at the asking price.

Could she end up homeless? :o
LP..I know they have a cap but there are ways of fiddling money via cars, holidays, home fit outs etc etc....gets done in the VFL.

Reply #54
Tayla is a loss, but I can't get my head around her worth as an overhead to any one club.

Carlton will have the right to feel fully aggrieved if she moves to another club and that move is partially funded by the AFL.

In my opinion she is very poorly advised by her manager. I worry now that her previous good work in regards to Respect might be discounted, some will now have doubts about the validity of past events versus profiteering by design. In this Social Media driven world it's a natural connection for some to make even if it's completely unjustified, and those doubts will ironically potentially diminishes her future value and long term earnings, although she is likely to be held high as a hero to the more corporate psychopath monetisation types.
I dont think she ever embraced Carlton'as her Club let alone her Club for life, thats the impression I got at least. She moved once for coin, she'll move again for coin.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #55
I dont think she ever embraced Carlton'as her Club let alone her Club for life, thats the impression I got at least. She moved once for coin, she'll move again for coin.

To be fair though, that's no different to Diesel Williams.

Reply #56
I disagree, Diesel always wanted to be a Blue but was knocked back (a few times I think). He proved us wrong and made us pay to get him. Once he got there, he lived and breathed our club.
Harris IMO is abit of a mercenary after coin in an industry (AFLW) that cant support it at the moment. Its like me asking my boss for twice the money I'm because I'm really really really good at what I do. He'll tell me to GAGF'd and find someone else.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #57
Carlton was full of mercenary's...we paid more, brown paper bags and all and got all the good players, ended up biting us on the rump(hello JackE) but we got our share of premierships. The thing with mercenary's is they have to be real good at what they do and deliver in the big games so thats probably the bone of contention with Tayla on the field.

Reply #58
 Williams had won a Brownlow before he really got the big pay day!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #59
Hmm, not sure the first move was about coin.

The problem as I see it is that over the recent times the thing Tayla is really really really good at, and the thing that will earn her the big dollars, isn't the football part of her profile!

In recent times she is a good footballer, not a great footballer!

I was also worried during the last season, I got the feeling the AFLW was basically doing it's best to make her bash and crash game style redundant. We had a few discussions along those lines in this very lounge!
The Force Awakens!