Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Analysis: AFL 2021 Rd 8: Carlton vs Western Bulldogs (Read 14651 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Analysis: AFL 2021 Rd 8: Carlton vs Western Bulldogs

Reply #135
FWIW, Harry identified a few blokes who he'd like to have kicking to him when he is on the lead and he brought up Cottrell as being one of the better kicks.....which i thought was a little suprising, but there you go.
Its interesting how Cottrell was a no name uninspiring player at U18 level who had a shocker GF with only 4 possies I think but
is now a more advanced player than LOB, Dow etc and one most of us rate as more reliable at the basics and it appears by Harry's comments the players think same..

Reply #136
The fact that we were run down in the last quarter and a bit like so much Navy Blue roadkill should not obscure the fact that for almost 3 quarters we had the measure of what is indisputably superior opposition. It took their best player (and arguably best or 2nd best in the comp) giving the best individual performance of anyone this season to ignite them.

And with the likes of Martin, Fisher and a few others to come in.

Martin is a match winner is his own right.

Let's assume TDK & English/Martin negate each other.

Of course a fit/firing Charlie Curnow is the one that gets us well ahead of the Dogs.

He is in a different class.

Noting Cripps and Williams did less than SFA yesterday and a few others little more....

If SOJ and Fogarty had kicked those goals, perhaps a different result.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #137

Thanks for reminding me....
If its close at the end, this poster by SOJ and the miss by Casboult, and the non-shot by SOJ is where we lost it.
.....and Fogartys one!

This was what i wrote in the in-game thread in Q2.

Ouch. :-*

Reply #138
And with the likes of Martin, Fisher and a few others to come in.

Martin is a match winner is his own right.

Let's assume TDK & English/Martin negate each other.

Of course a fit/firing Charlie Curnow is the one that gets us well ahead of the Dogs.

He is in a different class.

Noting Cripps and Williams did less than SFA yesterday and a few others little more....

I suppose when we lose it's natural to have "if only" moments.  But the same applies to the opposition. The dogs kicked 11 points and I'm sure their supporters have thoughts along the lines of "if only we had kicked fewer points we'd have been ahead at 3 quarter time."

With regard to Charlie, who knows what he'll be like when he returns.  Let's hope he is back to his best, but the reality is we don't know whether his knee will allow him the freedom to play his natural style, or whether it will withstand the pressure of match play.

Also, we don't know what his mental state will be after such a prolonged layoff.

Reply #139

I suppose when we lose it's natural to have "if only" moments.  But the same applies to the opposition. The dogs kicked 11 points and I'm sure their supporters have thoughts along the lines of "if only we had kicked fewer points we'd have been ahead at 3 quarter time."

With regard to Charlie, who knows what he'll be like when he returns.  Let's hope he is back to his best, but the reality is we don't know whether his knee will allow him the freedom to play his natural style, or whether it will withstand the pressure of match play.

Also, we don't know what his mental state will be after such a prolonged layoff.

We sometimes look at a game and say... now add these five or six injured players and you'd get a different  result.
What we sometimes overlook is who gives way for those players. For example...if Curnow, De Koning and Martin play...is there a spot for Jack Silvagni?
What's our forward line look like with Curnow in?

Reply #140
We are still lacking a small, lockdown defender.

Not many players i can see on our list who are really capable of it, but i've come up with 2.

1. Ed Curnow.
He is getting older, and perhaps we need him to sacrifice his game for the team, playing deep in defence might be an option worth looking into. He'd be perfect for Dusty types who go middle and forward at their leisure.

2. Matt Cottrell
I've said he is the most likely to take over from Curnow as a tagger (good tank, loves contact, never says die) but if we don't want to move Curnow back, perhaps we use Cottrell there instead.

Either way, its 1 less 'mid' which allows us to try Stocker, SPS or whoever else we are forcing to play a secondary role instead of their favoured midfield role.

Thank god somebody else sees cottrell as the guy to go back, not stocker and not sps.

Reply #141
What we sometimes overlook is who gives way for those players. For example...if Curnow, De Koning and Martin play...is there a spot for Jack Silvagni?
What's our forward line look like with Curnow in?

Sure is ... Jack ahead of Martin IMO

Reply #143
Two more positives :

1. Docherty starting to regain touch and a little class and polish
2. Time in front :
76.57 Carlton
32.59 Bulldogs

Reply #144
Two more positives :

1. Docherty starting to regain touch and a little class and polish
2. Time in front :
76.57 Carlton
32.59 Bulldogs

We played ok early and Eddie/Harry hit the scoreboard but we never really were in full control and when they kicked those two goals late in the 3rd you just knew we were in trouble.
In front doesnt mean in control and its why good teams only have to play one decent quarter to win games and even when we play three decent quarters we never get far enough ahead to feel safe.
When Jack and Fogarty missed those easy goals it was like a gateway to misery was ajar....

Reply #145
To me one of the biggest positives was cuningham.

2 decent efforts back to back.....a first for him.

He's showing breakaway speed, sidesteps through packs, great kicking.......BIG TICK.

Reply #146
To me one of the biggest positives was cuningham.

2 decent efforts back to back.....a first for him.

He's showing breakaway speed, sidesteps through packs, great kicking.......BIG TICK.
Did some a couple of nice things but I wouldn't write home about it and give him a BIG TICK. He needs to do a crap load more than that and it wasn't a patch on his Ess game.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #147
Did some a couple of nice things but I wouldn't write home about it and give him a BIG TICK. He needs to do a crap load more than that and it wasn't a patch on his Ess game.
What i saw was that he was finally up to the speed of an AFL game. Not only that, he was 'matrix-ing' - seeing and moving around things before they happened like it was in slow motion. A good sign.

Reply #148
What i saw was that he was finally up to the speed of an AFL game. Not only that, he was 'matrix-ing' - seeing and moving around things before they happened like it was in slow motion. A good sign.

I called him the most under rated player on our list for a reason.

He has been the forgotten man this year but I think Teague is wary that putting in too many of them when they weren't ready before hurt the team balance too much.

Ive been very interested watching what we are doing and it very much is all about taking opportunities and finding the right match ups.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #149
My tip was Dogs by 26. While the result was slightly more favorable, it's the drop off that has me worried. We've all said it. 5, 6, 7, 8 unanswered goals kills any confidence we have of moving up the ladder. This, in my mind, is where leadership comes in. Or doesn't. If our leaders are injured, they shouldn't be on the ground.

I know we've had a tough injury run, but we also talk up our depth. I'm not convinced we have depth.

On a positive note, Cunningham is as smooth as they come. I'm pleased he's performing atm. Eddie had his tricks on show and looks like he's enjoying his footy. As is his understudy - Owies. Well done to H. He's finally having a great run of form and showing his potential.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.