Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Analysis: AFL 2021 Rd 8: Carlton vs Western Bulldogs (Read 14617 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Analysis: AFL 2021 Rd 8: Carlton vs Western Bulldogs

Reply #90
I know this simmering bloody anger ain't gonna subside right thru to the Melbourne game.

Not just for me either.  We'll be 3 / 6.

Reply #91
When it comes to losing, we are Pavlov's Dogs!

Not sure what Teague can do with Cripps and Williams, both looked injured and both spent extended periods on the bench, the next step is probably a week off followed by a week in the VFL.

Injuries don't just cripple performance, they cripple confidence!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #92
If we had gone goal for goal for 3 and 4/5 quarters and gone down by 15 points in the wash up, would the narrative now be different?

Reply #93
Pittonet has to be viewed as our Stef Martin, reliable big body to limit the damage but wont ever be dominant , he was a twos player behind McEvoy and Ceglar for a reason and is a stop gap until we groom TDK and probably another kid ruck to be our next ruck duo.
Yes, this is the point fans need to accept about Pitto, huge heart will keep competing with all he's got, but what he's got isn't enough to make up for our midfield issues.

Losing Kreuzer permanently has really exposed our lack of midfield depth, the big guy might have struggled to get out there, but when he did he was another onballer.

Despite my criticisms, I think Kreuzer has Pitto, Levi and De Koning playing better than ever, you can see the changes and if you watched the VFL you can see the changes in De Koning are exceptional. The guy competes and hits the deck running like a mid!

Pitto is not that type of ruck, he's a wrestle man, long term he'll be more than useful but might again find himself as 2IC. But we do need that type, long term it may become a flip between Pitto and Levi in the 2nd ruck KPP role next to De Koning, horses for courses.

The issues of tapping to advantage are a bigger problem for Pitto, it probably comes down to vision and spatial awareness, not sure that can be taught or coached. He plays like a ruck who has struggled to get a hand on the footy at bounces his whole career, so when he does he is almost shocked to have won and panics!

Not sure how this will go down, but it's almost time for Cripps and others to play 2nd fiddle to Walsh, the kid is getting better under more duress! He's an enigma and could end up as good as Diesel! Fans might be cynical because they only remember the good Diesel, but when Diesel started he was slow and couldn't hit a barn with a kick from 20m. Then pretty much over one solitary pre-season he taught himself serious left and right side kicking to 35m and became a superstar!

btw., I think that is the trick to getting more out of Cripps, improve his left and right side so that he can go either way. Forget all the sprint shizen and contested marking, goal kicking, leave him powerful and give him the gift of time and space by allowing him to turn either way and kick accurately to about 35m!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #94
If we had gone goal for goal for 3 and 4/5 quarters and gone down by 15 points in the wash up, would the narrative now be different?
Absolutely, we’d be proud they took it up to the 2nd on the ladder!

Fact is, we dominated the game for 3.5 quarters, and coulda shoulda put them away for good but didn’t and then lost our crap and lost the game.

Reply #95
Are we playing too many injured payers @ElwoodBlues1‍ , between Cripps and Williams they almost spent a quarter on the bench!

Neither is 'right' based on output.

One should expect a close to A grade effort/performance = got D grades in both from both. There's the game right there.

Throw in ordinary stuff from the likes of Fogarty, Gibbo, SPS and Cottrell (ok in patches), well you're never going to win a game against decent opposition.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #96
Metricon is certainly not a happy hunting ground.  But we drop our bundle so readily ...

I dunno, but that type of defeat saps confidence to the point that we just don't know what to do if and when we build a lead ... but we're lousy at defending one.

Reply #97
I still have difficulty in understanding why we keep playing injured players.
Cripps isn't right, Williams definitely isn't OK
We're just driving them into the ground, and by extension we put additional pressure on other players to stand up....and we drive them into the ground.
Walsh has had a great start to the year but if he keeps having to 'pick up the slack' he'll end up broken too.
Surely one of our 'wealth' of midfielders would have been a better option than Williams yesterday.

Is half a Cripps better than a whole other player...that may be the case, but by playing Cripps injured you just break him a bit more.

If you play them, the assumption is they're OK.
Far better to 'come clean', say they're not 'well' and pull them out.
If we lose the game by an extra couple of goals, so what.
As it is these guys aren't making a difference anyway.

Reply #98
When it comes to losing, we are Pavlov's Dogs!

Not sure what Teague can do with Cripps and Williams, both looked injured and both spent extended periods on the bench, the next step is probably a week off followed by a week in the VFL.

Injuries don't just cripple performance, they cripple confidence!

And the commentary team claimed that Levi is "playing hurt" whatever that means, but it doesn't sound good.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #99
Would love the media to question Teague about starting Cripps on the bench after half time. And before he came on he was on the phone to someone and looked to be a little heated. Something is up imo and imo  it has nothing to do with an injury. 
I was so p1ssed off with Cripps defensively before half time and his lack of accountability or willingness to chase or pressure when he doesn’t have the ball. Maybe I wasn’t the only one who saw it.

Reply #100
And the commentary team claimed that Levi is "playing hurt" whatever that means, but it doesn't sound good.

Levi has been on one leg for most of the year and is actually improving every week.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #101
Would love the media to question Teague about starting Cripps on the bench after half time. And before he came on he was on the phone to someone and looked to be a little heated. Something is up imo and imo  it has nothing to do with an injury. 
I was so p1ssed off with Cripps defensively before half time and his lack of accountability or willingness to chase or pressure when he doesn’t have the ball. Maybe I wasn’t the only one who saw it.

That phone call was interesting...he wasn't talking to Teague because they cut to him in the box at the same time.
Probably nothing to read into it...a message being passed by one of the assistants perhaps.
It was just noticeable because it wasn't a captain/coach conversation.

Reply #102
Levi come into the season with a bad knee. Not surprised. If we keep playing too many that are not right then no wonder we get run over after playing great footy.

Think the mental issue holding leads in big games has been a issue for 2 years. Last year, Geelong, where we held on at least, then Collingwood and GWS in consecutive games when finals were on the line, then the Dogs yesterday. Played great footy in all then lost in bad in the last qtr. Complain and players, coach all we want, have the mental issues right in those games and we win pretty well. Needs to be addressed.

Reply #103
We got beaten by a team that had our measure from the bounce.  I find the commentary surrounding it very interesting.

Food for thought, Mitch Wallis played in the VFL on the weekend.  He would be a walk up start for us currently.   Speaks volumes. 
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #104
Levi has been on one leg for most of the year and is actually improving every week.

Somewhere (maybe BF) someone suggested he was having his knee drained every week so he could get out there....

But again, he wasn't the problem yesterday, it all hangs on the midfield and their persistent vanishing act!

Even with 10 minutes to go, no one stood up, showed some composure or leadership.

Cripps and Williams aside, what has happened to Gibbons and Newnes?

They have become mediocre at best.

I'd be switching those two for Honey/LOB and Murphy - little downside. Murphy plays on ball.

Cripps a rest, ditto Williams. Dow and Ramsay - no real loss, might be no names but can't do any worse than those big names yesterday.

Kennedy for SOJ.

TDK for Levi.
Finals, then 4 in a row!