Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Frustrations: AFL 2021 Rd 14: Carlton vs GWS (Read 8978 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Frustrations: AFL 2021 Rd 14: Carlton vs GWS

Reply #15
Green shoots anyone? Is it time to go back to square one and draft players with heart, endeavour, desperation
oh and that can hit a target 20m away

We need to really weed out those who simply don't want it badly enough. Even if it 12 players. The culture must change or it is years of this 5hit.

Reply #16
Green shoots anyone? Is it time to go back to square one and draft players with heart, endeavour, desperation
oh and that can hit a target 20m away
Is it possible that last year was as good as this group will get? Bloody demoralising.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #17
Think he's probably resign. An insider said Teague wanted to quit before the bye. Seems they talked him out of it.
Fair point Jim...falling on your sword is better than being hung out to dry by your playing group.
Actually feel sorry for Teague, the effort from some players tonight was disgraceful, how do you coach players who wont give you 4 quarters of effort?

Reply #19
We played 1q of good footy. Not nearly good enough. First half was a shocker. Is that a post bye thing? Probably not, but I don't know what else to think. Looked flogged out half way through q4.

I don't want to be critical but Martin, Doc, and Williams were off. Looks like it's "no Walsh no Carlton"

DeKonig, Stocker, Weiters, H (2nd half), Kennedy, Owies went ok.

Finlayson and Green took easy i50 marks and we had no answers. I wonder if the Board will have some answers soon?
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #20
Iaj. I could pick a dozen players that should not be in our squad. Sad thing is that most of them came in by SOS. Recruiting might be the first thing our review shows issues with and then player development, followed by poor skills coaching, game plan, endurance conditioning and player leadership. Not forgetting poor game day coaching changes. We are fecked.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #21
We played 1q of good footy. Not nearly good enough. First half was a shocker. Is that a post bye thing? Probably not, but I don't know what else to think. Looked flogged out half way through q4.

I don't want to be critical but Martin, Doc, and Williams were off. Looks like it's "no Walsh no Carlton"

DeKonig, Stocker, Weiters, H (2nd half), Kennedy, Owies went ok.

Finlayson and Green took easy i50 marks and we had no answers. I wonder if the Board will have some answers soon?
I would drop Martin and Williams......mistakes I can cop but effort is a non negotiable.
Carroll and Boyd can get a run this week and I'd even give Levi another go this time as 1st ruck.

Reply #22
GTC...Horrendous because GWS are not even a top 8 team and are one of the softest outfits going around.

Pretty sure we win the "softest team" label
Henry Ford.

Reply #23
I would actually take Buckley on to a serious role. He actually wasn’t a bad coach. Missed a flag by millimeters. We miss flags by light years at the moment.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #24
Iaj. I could pick a dozen players that should not be in our squad. Sad thing is that most of them came in by SOS. Recruiting might be the first thing our review shows issues with and then player development, followed by poor skills coaching, game plan, endurance conditioning and player leadership. Not forgetting poor game day coaching changes. We are fecked.

Please add the sports psychologist to that list. That's where assessment of mental toughness is done. Need to review those assessments and related interventions IMO. Blind Freddie can see that's one of our biggest weaknesses!
Henry Ford.

Reply #25
You know what I’m pissed with the club now - calling a farking public review when they did - and it was intentional! So we have to sit here and the players have to try and play knowing everything they say and do is under a microscope - halfway thru the season!

What did we think was going to happen - in a utopia you’re going to have players that kill themselves to win for the supporters jumper coach board but reality is every single one will try and save their own damn skin!

So Prez and incoming Prez, if you’re reading this - sort this fcking review quick damn smart. Players that want to be there and are worthy, sign up! Players that don’t, leave in vfl and make some decent friggen deals. Coaches that want out - GTFO.

Bring in people to want Carlton to succeed!!!!!

Reply #26
Fair point Jim...falling on your sword is better than being hung out to dry by your playing group.
Actually feel sorry for Teague, the effort from some players tonight was disgraceful, how do you coach players who wont give you 4 quarters of effort?

He sees this effort, he's had tragedy in his family. Fair chance he has had enough and will probably not coach next year.

Players came to us because Teague was here when he was an assistant, has had great reports before coaching us, was a brilliant coach of the Bullants getting heaps out of an average side. Problem is, when you coach a side with a bad culture that lacks drive, motivation, hunger, or basically a care factor, then you have an impossible job. The only thing that has happened under Teague is that we have been alot more scoreboard competitive (as distinct for actually competitive) and he has the 2nd best record of any coach we have had this century, even if the bar is as low as it gets. Same again. A coach gets to the 3rd year and the players essentially turn their toes up. This is the response after a review is called.

Two sides you wouldn't touch, Carlton and St.Kilda as you senior coaching careers ends right there after a few years. Ratts must've have been a genius getting two sides with such poor cultures to 4 finals series in 6 years but he's struggling with the Saints now for similar reasons.

Reply #27
I would actually take Buckley on to a serious role. He actually wasn’t a bad coach. Missed a flag by millimeters. We miss flags by light years at the moment.
Buckley deserves better as does David Teague.....personally I think this group needs a Ross Lyon to put an edge on a few players or break them in the process. I'm over winning /losing I just want to see some effort under the heading " team".

Reply #28
You know what I’m pissed with the club now - calling a farking public review when they did - and it was intentional! So we have to sit here and the players have to try and play knowing everything they say and do is under a microscope - halfway thru the season!

What did we think was going to happen - in a utopia you’re going to have players that kill themselves to win for the supporters jumper coach board but reality is every single one will try and save their on damn skin!

So Prez and incoming Prez, if you’re reading this - sort this fcking review quick damn smart. Players that want to be there and are worthy, sign up! Players that don’t, leave in vfl and make some decent friggen deals. Coaches that want out - GTFO.

Bring in people to want Carlton to succeed!!!!!

I agree. Not sure it would have made much of a difference tonight, but It's the same stunt they pulled in 2015, announcing a massive rebuild in R2. It adds more instability to what is already an unstable organisation.

Reply #29
He sees this effort, he's had tragedy in his family. Fair chance he has had enough and will probably not coach next year.

Players came to us because Teague was here when he was an assistant, has had great reports before coaching us, was a brilliant coach of the Bullants getting heaps out of an average side. Problem is, when you coach a side with a bad culture that lacks drive, motivation, hunger, or basically a care factor, then you have an impossible job. The only thing that has happened under Teague is that we have been alot more scoreboard competitive (as distinct for actually competitive) and he has the 2nd best record of any coach we have had this century, even if the bar is as low as it gets. Same again. A coach gets to the 3rd year and the players essentially turn their toes up. This is the response after a review is called.

Two sides you wouldn't touch, Carlton and St.Kilda as you senior coaching careers ends right there after a few years. Ratts must've have been a genius getting two sides with such poor cultures to 4 finals series in 6 years but he's struggling with the Saints now for similar reasons.