Skip to main content
Topic: Pre game profession of faith: AFL 2021 Rd 15: Carlton vs Adelaide (Read 6941 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pre game profession of faith: AFL 2021 Rd 15: Carlton vs Adelaide

Reply #15
If they couldn't give a stuff yesterday, why should they next week?

Reply #16
Without trying to be a smart@rse here Krudd, do you still think we can get to the 11 wins?

We CAN still get there, but we won't. Not if thats our new normal.

Technically, i'd allowed us to lose a game against the bottom 10 sides....maybe this was the one?

However, i did say all that before the review was announced.
I did also say that its all possible unless we implode.....and 24 hours later, bam.....review announced, Barker sacked and all hell breaks loose.

Reply #17
Lets be honest EB, there is no one breaking the door down in the 2s.
Like a few others I am regretting we didnt pick up Crocker mid season.....yep he could be just a very good VFL player but at the moment he is the best of those very good VFL players. Its Harry with Matt Owies at the moment down forward and nothing else.
Crocker would have been motivated and adds that bit of attitude we dont have....for a 10-12 game cheap trial it was the perfect situation. Honey and Carroll I would introduce into the team gradually and I'd be managing Eddie on weekly basis too as he is shot as far as being able to play 4 quarters of the old magic Eddie football anymore.
Keep Eddie in for the soft games like the Crows, North, GC etc but rest him vs the heavyweight teams...
Murphy will probably get the sub role in a few games as Jim suggested and then a full game for the 300 then told to pull the pin.
SPS is trade bait for a good Vic kid wanting back home from WA..give him a few games to fatten up his value but I'm over him..

Reply #18
Like a few others I am regretting we didnt pick up Crocker mid season.....
I doubt he'd help us, in the VFL he defends and tackles well inside F50 but he's not big on getting up and down the ground, and I think AFL clubs would basically run him or run off him, add his slow leg speed to the already slow team and we'd be left even more outnumbered in our own D50.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #19
I doubt he'd help us, in the VFL he defends and tackles well inside F50 but he's not big on getting up and down the ground, and I think AFL clubs would basically run him or run off him, add his slow leg speed to the already slow team and we'd be left even more outnumbered in our own D50.
I dont rate him as slow, one of Honeys goals in the VFL was the result of Crocker motoring away from opponents and giving Honey a joe the goose goal. He was originally a midfielder with Collingwood and is more mobile than most of our present forwards IMO.
His kicking for goal is also a lot better than most of our players and he would give us that inbetween matchup type player that most of the sides that torment our defense have.

Reply #20
Casboult rubbed out for a week after a VFL suspension. So that's one less decision for the selectors to make.

Reply #21
Casboult rubbed out for a week after a VFL suspension. So that's one less decision for the selectors to make.
Nothing going right for us, I thought Levi played a good game and was deserving of promotion...

Reply #22
What did he do now ... pat a baby on the head?

Reply #23

One thing our club needs at the moment is pure footballers. Players who can do the basics well and know the game. Lead, mark, kick, tackle and read the play are basics that we struggle with. Crocker has that.
As for his speed/endurance.....i think its deceptive. He reminds me of Dane Swan, and its not just the tatts. Its the way he moves. He looks very slow, but is moving faster than you realise.

Even IF speed and/or endurance is Crockers weak point, that is a lot easier to train up than trying to harden someone up or teach them how to kick. Being smart can compensate for being slow. Look at Diesel. Look at Whitnall. No point being quick by foot if you are slow by mind.

Reply #24
Players from other clubs could just about commit murder on field and get away with it,  but different rules apply to Carlton. #wevebeenstiffedagain.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #25
Enough talk,  now do.  Pretty simple stuff.   22 men each play 4 quarters of 100% football. 
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #26
If we go into this game with the same game plan, we will get what we've been getting. But overhauling a system mid season is too big an ask. But, defense focus must be instilled... defensive systems demand accountability and a superior work ethic, from there you can build.

And if Murphy is recalled, make him earn his paycheck and put him in the midfield not a high forward - he becomes too unaccountable as a forward. Bring in a defender and get Stocker into the action - he makes things happen. Honey in also.

The TT raves on about playing blokes to their strengths, telling blokes to play to their strengths... then plays them out of position!!!! I'm talking about Stocker (there are others). Let him off the leash. We recruited Boyd to be a lockdown defender with good disposal skills... well... bring him in. Risks are needed.

Face the fact that Doc is badly out of form (sheesh, what he has had to endure... any wonder) so you do what you rave on about doing - make blokes earn their spot. Doc isn't. His fumbles are not only costly for general play, they're costly to morale and leadership. Rest him.

Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #27
If we go into this game with the same game plan, we will get what we've been getting. But overhauling a system mid season is too big an ask. But, defense focus must be instilled... defensive systems demand accountability and a superior work ethic, from there you can build.

And if Murphy is recalled, make him earn his paycheck and put him in the midfield not a high forward - he becomes too unaccountable as a forward. Bring in a defender and get Stocker into the action - he makes things happen. Honey in also.

The TT raves on about playing blokes to their strengths, telling blokes to play to their strengths... then plays them out of position!!!! I'm talking about Stocker (there are others). Let him off the leash. We recruited Boyd to be a lockdown defender with good disposal skills... well... bring him in. Risks are needed.

Face the fact that Doc is badly out of form (sheesh, what he has had to endure... any wonder) so you do what you rave on about doing - make blokes earn their spot. Doc isn't. His fumbles are not only costly for general play, they're costly to morale and leadership. Rest him.

Can you forward that to Teague Shane?

Docherty played a couple of his best games for a while when he was moved to the wing/midfield and that role is a little more forgiving of fumbles. 

My back seven would be Weitering, Jones, Saad, Newman, Williams, Plowman (if fit) and Boyd with Docherty and Stocker in the midfield.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #28
Can you forward that to Teague Shane?

Docherty played a couple of his best games for a while when he was moved to the wing/midfield and that role is a little more forgiving of fumbles. 

My back seven would be Weitering, Jones, Saad, Newman, Williams, Plowman (if fit) and Boyd with Docherty and Stocker in the midfield.

Spot on. I make the comment about resting Doc if he is having probs effecting his game. Yes, he looked much better on a wing... I like the idea of putting him in the action in the midfield - could be just the thing for his confidence as well.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #29
We will end up with twenty players on the wing trying to hide and find them an easier role. Docherty needs to go back to the twos to  rediscover form and confidence, his fumbling ways won't work in the middle or hiding him on a wing vs decent players.
I like Doc but he needs rebuilding in the twos...