Skip to main content
Topic: R8 - Blues vs Saints (Back on the winners list!) (Read 33001 times) previous topic - next topic

R8 - Blues vs Saints (Back on the winners list!)

Wasn't always pretty, but there was some pretty good signs from some of the younger boys to give us some hope for the future.

Re: R8 - Blues vs Saints (Back on the winners list!)

Reply #1
Enjoyed that.

We could have won by 13 goals really.

B Graders did a lot of the heavy lifting.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #2
Wasn't always pretty, but there was some pretty good signs from some of the younger boys to give us some hope for the future.

This I agree with, but we need to learn not to drop the pressure and keep the intensity high for an entire game.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #3
Need to play 4 quarters and find a focal point up forward or we will get killed by any of the better sides.

Rowe did ok on a first class opponent I reckon.  Would have learned something about leading patterns, work rate and getting fitter.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #4
Buckley, Menzel, Yarran, Docherty... All can get the footy, all can kick.
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #5
Epitomised how far off we are.

2 goals six in the first quarter.  Then we let them get a sniff through a blip in our effort.

Second quarter is how the game should gave panned out for us.  8.0 zip.  Domination.

Third quarter was disappointing.  Let them back into the game by being worked over physically and us getting a bit weak at the knees.

Fourth quarter we scored a goal to release the pressure valve and went on with it.  I feel a bit flat about it to be honest.

Liked the effort though, but the final margin really flattered the Saints.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #6
Won 3 of our last 4 with the crows at the G next up. Hopefully the boys come back refreshed after the break.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #7
Epitomised how far off we are.

2 goals six in the first quarter.  Then we let them get a sniff through a blip in our effort.

Second quarter is how the game should gave panned out for us.  8.0 zip.  Domination.

Third quarter was disappointing.  Let them back into the game by being worked over physically and us getting a bit weak at the knees.

Fourth quarter we scored a goal to release the pressure valve and went on with it.  I feel a bit flat about it to be honest.

Liked the effort though, but the final margin really flattered the Saints.

X2

That performance reiterates that we are miles off the pace. Dreading playing the Hawks.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #8
We are still a long way off and we made heavy weather of the Saints (who fielded a number or youngsters) without doubt. However there were a few encouraging signs with Yarran, Menzel, Buckley, Docherty in particular for me showing glimpses of our possible future.

Levi, Levi please sort out your kicking! He could become a real asset to us if he could just do that as he seems to be developing nicely in other aspects from tonight's performance.

Again a major concentration lapse in the 3Q and some wayward early kicking for goal let us down. We could have had the Saints on toast by the end of the 1Q.

Anyway, we just have to persevere - keep trying and take the wins when we can get them.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #9
Some real positive signs but as everyone has said still a long way off. The third quarter drop off was a real concern. Must play 4 quarters. Good to see Menzel start without the vest and play a full match.

Reply #10
Apart from a brief cameo from Menzel, it was the old guard that led the way; Gibbs, Murphy, Simpson, McLean and Yarran.

One relatively new older bloke showed a bit; Sam Rowe's game tonight was his best game for the club and must have a few people re-thinking how he'll fit into our future plans.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #11
Worst. Game. Ever.

That is all......
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #12
In Billings, Dunstan and Acres the Saints have rebuilt their midfield in one draft.  Chuck in a big player in this year's draft and their rebuild is well under way.

Reply #13
I thought the scoreboard flattered us TBH, Saints outplayed us for large parts of the second half but couldn't kick straight. 9:15 to 15:11 says it all. They could have been just about level by 3/4 time had they kicked straight. Just a meh game, we are that much bigger and stronger than them it shows how far they have to go.

@Shadesy

It's clear we have 3 players for the future and maybe a fourth. Yarran, Menzel and Buckley are all stars of the future (Yarran already a star). Buckley has come on in leaps and bounds over the past few weeks, does it so easily, doesn't over think things, crisp passing and handballing and always in the right position. The fourth is Docherty. Really like the look of this guy.

Have to say Mick did well to hide his mate Daisy in the forwardline, looking after him well he is. He's the ultimate coach's pet. I wonder if he would afford the same luxury to any other players on the list? 700k for a defensive forward that gets it 8 times and kicks a goal. Wow.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #14
Just watched the highlights reel... some of the umpiring was ??? to say the least...  Riewoldt's goal in the second was a free for what?  Dunstan's snap after a throw from a bloke holding the pill...  Fair dinkum.

What was all rest of the scuffling about? 

Murphy's hit looked like an in-play thing to me, he was clearly hunting the ball with no intent to hurt but he'll go because he plays for Carlton.  What, no comment from Dermie about removing contests from the game?  Tsk tsk the game is being rooned I tells ya!