Skip to main content
Topic: RIP Gary Gilmour (Read 3304 times) previous topic - next topic

RIP Gary Gilmour

Been meaning to post something about this hugely talented former cricketer, but have been busy. I was quite young when I was captivated by cricket (and the Packer War).

Gary Gilmour was a cricketer which I admired. A great talent, but was never serious enough to make the most of it. On song, he was a terrific bowler who could swing it both ways (if conditions suited). His 1975 World Cup Semi Final effort are a great example of this - 6 for 14 off 12 overs (also took 5 for 48 in the Final v West Indies). And on song with the bat, he could thrash the ball to all parts. I would have loved to have seen footage of his 101 v New Zealand in 1976 - 86 in boundaries!

It's a shame his body never allowed him to fulfil his potential. Dodgy ankles. Gout. Perhaps brought on by his care free attitude to fitness and a penchant for a drink or three.

Scored 122 on first class debut for New South Wales in 1972. Then made 52 and took 4-75 on Test debut in 1974 v New Zealand. Only played 15 tests before he joined World Series Cricket - where he couldn't really contribute due to debilitating injuries and health conditions.

Received a liver transplant a little while ago, and has now succumbed to complications. The sad story is added by the tradegy that Gary lost his son to a brain tumour just shortly before his own death. Hopefully the two are re-united again.

Tests: 15
Runs: 483
HS: 101
2HS: 95
50: 3
100: 1
Wickets: 54
BB: 6/85
2BB: 5/34
5wi: 3

Re: RIP Gary Gilmour

Reply #1
Thanks for the memories Gus.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #2
Thanks for this thread Lappy....Gilmour was a great talent who probably didnt reach his ful potential like you said.
You have covered it all and sad to read his son also passed away...RIP Gus.

Reply #3
RIP. Some good memories from the past here.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.