Skip to main content
Topic: Abbott must go, arise Sir Malcolm! (Read 79555 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Abbott must go, arise Sir Malcolm!

Reply #150
the conundrum is that there simply is no money in the til
tightening the belt is long arduous and unpopular .
Unfortunately, there was a lot of waste in the last 6 years
regardless of ideology of policy and whether one deemed it to be successful or not

The problem with using a term like "waste" in an argument like this is that it is subjective. What is "waste"?

Is a university spot a waste?

What about a hospital bed, is that a waste?

Perhaps cuts to such are considered to be a "saving', I suppose until you need one it is?

How about some diplomacy is offering some a waste? Given the diplomatic state of things today is unraveling over three decades of diplomatic effort in just a week or two also a waste?

Is waste selling gun boats to a semi-gorilla controlled democracy a waste of human life or is it just irresponsible?

Is cutting emission controls a waste? Perhaps we are going to turn the carbons around and send them home if they try to cross our border without permission!

Is canceling an ultra long life cheap to operate low maintenance fibre optic network a waste? Is replacing the same with high maintenance high cost 100 year old copper wire based network also a waste? Where is the smartness, where are the savings?

having a first home buyers grant available to anyone that's a first home buyer - it should have been means tested
pink batts - millions were lost in that rort, and continues to loose with investigations etc
the millions in focus group researchers and "consultants"
I m all for innovation, but sometimes the haste and cost and the somewhat blind spending, to what appears to be a politicians legacy
comes at a cost, which must produce a gain, directly or indirectly

Reply #151
...and then, perhaps, Russell Brand is right and that most if not all politicians are semi useless creatures who simply do the bidding for the wealthy elite who really control everything.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #152
the conundrum is that there simply is no money in the til
tightening the belt is long arduous and unpopular .
Unfortunately, there was a lot of waste in the last 6 years
regardless of ideology of policy and whether one deemed it to be successful or not

The problem with using a term like "waste" in an argument like this is that it is subjective. What is "waste"?

Is a university spot a waste?

What about a hospital bed, is that a waste?

Perhaps cuts to such are considered to be a "saving', I suppose until you need one it is?

How about some diplomacy is offering some a waste? Given the diplomatic state of things today is unraveling over three decades of diplomatic effort in just a week or two also a waste?

Is waste selling gun boats to a semi-gorilla controlled democracy a waste of human life or is it just irresponsible?

Is cutting emission controls a waste? Perhaps we are going to turn the carbons around and send them home if they try to cross our border without permission!

Is canceling an ultra long life cheap to operate low maintenance fibre optic network a waste? Is replacing the same with high maintenance high cost 100 year old copper wire based network also a waste? Where is the smartness, where are the savings?

having a first home buyers grant available to anyone that's a first home buyer - it should have been means tested
pink batts - millions were lost in that rort, and continues to loose with investigations etc
I m all for innovation, but sometimes the haste and cost and the somewhat blind spending, to what appears to be a politicians legacy

Politicians waste tax payers money making reactive changes in policy to appease the voting public.

They dont use money efficiently and more money is wasted undoing and redoing government projects when governments change and policies do an about turn, than the individual government itself.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #153

It is not exclusive this waste issue.

Superannuation incentives through tax breaks that only millionaires or billionaires can access?

A publicly funded maternity scheme that is open to millionaires and billionaires?

Innovation is good, rolling out more copper phone lines and cutting education is not innovative it is archaic.

This is the whole point at the moment, the blokes who sold themselves as the great fiscal managers are going to weddings and building private libraries using tax payer funds. Can I have a tax deduction for attending my cousins wedding?

Hard to see how any of them can claim the high moral, ethical or economic ground!

They are all pigs at the trough, and equally as bad!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #154

Superannuation incentives through tax breaks that only millionaires or billionaires can access?

A publicly funded maternity scheme that is open to millionaires and billionaires?

Innovation is good, rolling out more copper phone lines and cutting education is not innovative it is archaic.

This is the whole point at the moment, the blokes who sold themselves as the great fiscal managers are going to weddings and building private libraries using tax payer funds. Can I have a tax deduction for attending my cousins wedding?

Hard to see how any of them can claim the high moral, ethical or economic ground!

I agree, this country aint like it used to be

Reply #155

I agree, this country aint like it used to be

Yes, it hasn't been the same since Pig Iron Bob got the top job after WW2!

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #156
More pokes at the prince I see, a battle looms large.

Abbott vs Turnbull is coming!

The events, rumors and reports almost mirror the days of Hawke and Keating. The older among you have seen this all before!

While Abbott is busy on his pedestal fixing the leaky ceiling, Turnbull chips away at the foundations!

Add to that I see Tony is returning to his progressive ways, and fixing the leaks by shooting the messengers full of holes!

Hard to believe he was voted in, or is it the others were voted out!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #157
More pokes at the prince I see, a battle looms large.

Abbott vs Turnbull is coming!

The events, rumors and reports almost mirror the days of Hawke and Keating. The older among you have seen this all before!

While Abbott is busy on his pedestal fixing the leaky ceiling, Turnbull chips away at the foundations!

Add to that I see Tony is returning to his progressive ways, and fixing the leaks by shooting the messengers full of holes!

Hard to believe he was voted in, or is it the other were voted out!

We've been in the 'voting out' business for a while now, Oh Spotted Puss.

And, yep, Abbott can sure feel Turnbulls fangs snapping at his toosh.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #158
Tone was the attack dog required to get rid of Gillard and the Kruddster. Now to bring on Malcolm to guide the country forward??
Tone's probably still got the numbers.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #159
Tone was the attack dog required to get rid of Gillard and the Kruddster. Now to bring on Malcolm to guide the country forward??

Don't under estimate Turnbull, he's a smart cookie Cookie. ;)
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #160

He's very very smart JK and I certainly wouldn't underestimate him, but it may take him a bit longer to displace Tone, that's all.  :)
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #161

He's very very smart JK and I certainly wouldn't underestimate him, but it may take him a bit longer to displace Tone, that's all.  :)

he's see it as one vote that displaced him as future PM - those scars don't heal

Reply #162
Here we go again,

http://www.theage.com.au/federal-politics/prime-minister-tony-abbott-breaches-royal-protocol-with-an-arm-round-prince-william-20140424-zqz2g.html

I hope like hell that the British tabloids and monarchists make a huge issue out of this. Would love nothing more than the republican debate to be reignited.
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

― Mark Twain

Reply #163
Here we go again,

http://www.theage.com.au/federal-politics/prime-minister-tony-abbott-breaches-royal-protocol-with-an-arm-round-prince-william-20140424-zqz2g.html

I hope like hell that the British tabloids and monarchists make a huge issue out of this. Would love nothing more than the republican debate to be reignited.

Yep
Hands in the back
Free kick to William ;D

Reply #164
The Prince is lucky that the PM didn't take him out the back and give him a jolly good rogering.