Skip to main content
Topic: RD 17 : Blues Defeat Kangaroos (After-Match Defibrillators) (Read 56977 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: RD 17 : Blues Defeat Kangaroos (After-Match Defibrillators)

Reply #75
People need to watch the replay.

Gibbs' game was too instruction.

Manned up Ziebell ok but I thought his field kicking was terrible, missed easy targets and it detracted from his game, a good stat was his tackle count of 7.

Reply #76
Jamo has probably struggled since his mate went up forward. Hendo too valuable to go back now and Mick needs to find a suitable replacement. I'm not sure these guys who need to worry about their games rather than helping out the backline are the answer.

And very few full backs work well in isolation or when their other defenders change.

And he was on a Petrie who is a MASSIVE unit.

Again. Look at the delivery and way the ball goes into Norths forward line and compare it too us.

No comparison.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #77

Manned up Ziebell ok but I thought his field kicking was terrible, missed easy targets and it detracted from his game, a good stat was his tackle count of 7.

Agree, although I thought Ziebell had a greater effect on the game than Bryce. Man, Bryce's kicking was about as bad as I've ever seen it tonight.....he's supposed to an elite kick, not good enough.
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #78
Jammo certainly was bad.  He has no pace this year and obviously hates playing N.M.  He gets a bath every time.  His fumbling tonight was especially bad, but at least he tries.  Watson is an absolute NO-TRIER!

Elwood you mention Watson's mark.  Well done, it was his only highlight and as I said, he was in the vicinity so he had a chance.

Purlease - for mine, Watson was our best defender tonight.....how'd his opponent go? Best game Watson has played by a mile, really encouraged with his performance tonight.

Jamo was disgusting.....that's 3 consecutive weeks of us possibly witnessing the demise of Jamo. Has not got a clue out there at the moment, embarrassing he is, total liability. Can't kick, constant brain explosions, can't get near his man - even in situations whereby his opponent is the obvious choice for having the ball delivered, Jamo manages to misread the play/flight of the ball/be too slow off the mark.......I'm over him. He got lucky with Riewoldt's kicking for goal last week, but he is in career-worst form. I hope like hell we're talking to some other full-backs out there come trade time.....Jamo's cooked.

Not cooked, far from it. Certainly out of form though.

Stick a fork in him......he's done. Not just beaten, has been obliterated for 3 consecutive weeks by 3 of the premier forwards in the game. If Jamo can't play FB (which all the signs are that he no longer can), where does he play? If he manages to reverse this 'form slump' as you VERY kindly put it, the guy is a champion - however I'm fairly confident that ain't gonna happen as every single aspect of his game stinks right now.....EVERY aspect bar none.

Also....loved Lucas' cameos tonight - were as important as anything anyone else did on the ground. He's starting to restore the faith is Kane....good on him too.

It happens, blokes lose form. If you gave up on every one that had a bad patch no-one would be playing. It happens in every sport. We are way too fast to give up on players. How many times have we seen players have shocking patches only to come good. Hundreds!!!

Reply #79

It's what we expect to get from Gibbs though. IMO, to be a champion he needs to lift his running to another level. That Jamo incident where he handballed to a North player, Gibbs could have worked harder for him and his resultant chase wasn't one of someone digging deep and past the pain. That's no knock, It's what separates champs from good ordinary players, it's up to Gibbs what he wants to be.

Reply #80
Jamo did well for a guy being up against a bloody man mountain. Hard to defend against Neanderthals like that particularly when the kicks were perfect for the forward to mark....have another look at the game...

Reply #81
Jamo did well for a guy being up against a bloody man mountain. Hard to defend against Neanderthals like that particularly when the kicks were perfect for the forward to mark....have another look at the game...

Yep .
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #82
Jammo certainly was bad.  He has no pace this year and obviously hates playing N.M.  He gets a bath every time.  His fumbling tonight was especially bad, but at least he tries.  Watson is an absolute NO-TRIER!

Elwood you mention Watson's mark.  Well done, it was his only highlight and as I said, he was in the vicinity so he had a chance.

Purlease - for mine, Watson was our best defender tonight.....how'd his opponent go? Best game Watson has played by a mile, really encouraged with his performance tonight.

Jamo was disgusting.....that's 3 consecutive weeks of us possibly witnessing the demise of Jamo. Has not got a clue out there at the moment, embarrassing he is, total liability. Can't kick, constant brain explosions, can't get near his man - even in situations whereby his opponent is the obvious choice for having the ball delivered, Jamo manages to misread the play/flight of the ball/be too slow off the mark.......I'm over him. He got lucky with Riewoldt's kicking for goal last week, but he is in career-worst form. I hope like hell we're talking to some other full-backs out there come trade time.....Jamo's cooked.

Not cooked, far from it. Certainly out of form though.

Stick a fork in him......he's done. Not just beaten, has been obliterated for 3 consecutive weeks by 3 of the premier forwards in the game. If Jamo can't play FB (which all the signs are that he no longer can), where does he play? If he manages to reverse this 'form slump' as you VERY kindly put it, the guy is a champion - however I'm fairly confident that ain't gonna happen as every single aspect of his game stinks right now.....EVERY aspect bar none.

Also....loved Lucas' cameos tonight - were as important as anything anyone else did on the ground. He's starting to restore the faith is Kane....good on him too.

I really, really hope your wrong Brettie, coz finding a replacement is gonna be hard !!
Personally, I think he can probably turn it around, we'll just have to wait and see !!
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #83
In context of the season - best win of the season.

The Kangabies threw absolutely everything at us... and in previous seasons, regardless of form, they've won 'their' Friday night against top sides. They steel themsevles for this Friday night game.

Considering the blokes we had 'down'... it was a seriously good win (gotta address the fade).  ;D
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #84
Yarran was playing on a young kid still in Taylor Hine and didn't dominate him, but he certainly had a real impact on contests, there was an embarrassing moment I hope MM doesn't let slip though where he should have beaten Grima at ground level and was basically just swatted away. He did however go at the ball a lot harder and chased and tackled.

That was the turning point for him, that effort was pathetic as he needed to put his head over it but just stuck a toe out instead. Awful stuff. He really fought back well after that. I wonder if the message came out from the coach?
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #85
good game, felt the chest tighten up a few times and had 000 typed in my phone with my finger on the send button a few times.

jamo got beaten, too easy for my liking aswell. but it happens, petrie is a good player but out of form. expected better from jamo.
2e had a shocking first half, came back, credit to the irishman.
judd was quiet, but so was the midfield int he first half.
scotland, would condsider him surplus now with walker and simpson down back, just as good with the ball those 2 plus much better defenders.

now for the good

lucas, improving alot this year. butchers the ball but i think hes showed hes worth persisting with.
watson, been on the bagwagaon since day 1 and he frustrates me. but played well enough today and happy with his performance. if the coaching staff could work out a way to get his intensity up and fire him up, he will be in the best 18 everyday.
hendo, finally found that key forward. i think his time down back has helped him develop his work up forward aswell.
special k, very special indeed

i think rowe provides that contest and good 2nd ruck we need. imagine with waite back in up foward aswell, suddenly we have the attack to threaten the big teams with 3 big options and classy small forwards

Reply #86
good game, felt the chest tighten up a few times and had 000 typed in my phone with my finger on the send button a few times.

jamo got beaten, too easy for my liking aswell. but it happens, petrie is a good player but out of form. expected better from jamo.
2e had a shocking first half, came back, credit to the irishman.
judd was quiet, but so was the midfield int he first half.
scotland, would condsider him surplus now with walker and simpson down back, just as good with the ball those 2 plus much better defenders.

now for the good

lucas, improving alot this year. butchers the ball but i think hes showed hes worth persisting with.
watson, been on the bagwagaon since day 1 and he frustrates me. but played well enough today and happy with his performance. if the coaching staff could work out a way to get his intensity up and fire him up, he will be in the best 18 everyday.
hendo, finally found that key forward. i think his time down back has helped him develop his work up forward aswell.
special k, very special indeed

i think rowe provides that contest and good 2nd ruck we need. imagine with waite back in up foward aswell, suddenly we have the attack to threaten the big teams with 3 big options and classy small forwards

Agree re Hendo..would like to see the MC leaving him up forward and sending Waite back for a few games. the straighter line running might also help him avoid injury.
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

― Mark Twain

Reply #87
Are people influenced too much by statistics?

Watson's man was Robbie Tarrant for anyone in doubt, I mentioned in my discussions prior to the game that it was always likely to be him, but that I thought North should have played Daw instead, I also think if they did... they would have won this game.

Watson was so far behind Tarrant on the lead  tonight that it was embarrassing. I was sitting with a North mate and pointed out the contest before the game, but both agreed that it was unlikely Tarrant would be able to exploit it, because if he gets a free hit at a contested pack mark he is going to reach in to mark, or turn away, because he severely lacks the fortitude required to put a body into the contest, he also is only an average mark anyway and when he kicks a few goals it is often with great kicks, which he is.

I think Tarrant created plenty of chances to influence the game and very little that Watson done had any  influence on Tarrant not taking those chances.

Now I have said negative things about Watson before, so perhaps this comes across as biased.... But I absolutely think he had a poor game, it would be akin to saying in the first half McInnes beat Black... nope Black's horrific kicking beat himself. I do think McInnes was better in the 2nd half and the same goes for Watson.

That's what I mean about Watson.  Tarrant beat himself, Watson didn't do it.  A forward not scoring does not necessarily mean that his opponent has played well.  Perhaps some of Jammo's problems last night may have been because he was aware that he could not depend on Watson for support.  However, saying that I reckon that Jammo has a mental problem playing North, which, added to his loss of closing pace (carrying an injury??) resulted in a really bad game for him.

Reply #88
In context of the season - best win of the season.

The Kangabies threw absolutely everything at us... and in previous seasons, regardless of form, they've won 'their' Friday night against top sides. They steel themsevles for this Friday night game.

Considering the blokes we had 'down'... it was a seriously good win (gotta address the fade).  ;D

I tend to agree that it was a quality win.
North Melbourne's finishing had been seriously questioned in the lead up to the match.
They were presented with the opportunity to blow that out of the water and they took that opportunity for redemption.

While we limped over the line it was against a side who came at us in the finish determined to "bury their demons".
Our players probably expected that and they were clearly delighted at the end of the game that they managed to hang on.
North are a pretty good side and their ladder position is more the result of some mental lapses than their ability.
When they're on their game they're tough to beat and we came away with the four points. (with a lack of input from some of our best)

Reply #89
Perhaps some of Jammo's problems last night may have been because he was aware that he could not depend on Watson for support.

Very close to the truth.  Watson is 'heart in your mouth' stuff from the stands, every time he goes near a contest, imagine what it is like as you go into battle with him.  Still far from convinced regarding Watson.