Skip to main content
Topic: 6 MCG Home Games 2015 (Read 11920 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 6 MCG Home Games 2015

Reply #30
Crash, are we still paying off the Legends Stand ?

If that money had been invested a little more wisely, virtually the entire grounds seating could have been refurbished !!
Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #31
Im with Malo, we should start looking at lobbying to build a boutique initally 30 thousand odd seater at PP with plans to move to 40 and then 50 thousand odd moving forward, and ditch crapihad altogether.

The Cats are upgrading down at Kardinia Park, and are not even half way through a project built in stages, where they are systematically refurbing and improving.

We should follow that model and do the same.

Yep.

Make it x 2

If Princes Park kept his larger ground size than Etihad , kept the Etihad seating and without the Etihad roof and sub floor car park would be brilliant...
Every time this coms up I grind my teeth with frustration: had John Elliott had a better relationship with the AFL we would still be laying at Princes Park and it would be a seriously upgraded place.
Over the past 50 years we had to scrape and save to get money to improve our ground. But always we had to make compromises, some of them huge. With AFL backing there would be a true stadium able to hold at least 50,000 people with a huge underground car park available for Melbourne Uni and others during the week and decent lights allowing true night football. We probably would have been able to upgrade the public transport to boot, as the AFL and the various governments generally get along quite well.

Instead, we are migratory with no home ground advantage, while the AFL pours money into rat holes like Kardinia Park.

Maybe there can be a move to refurbish Princes Park (where Optus and Visy would probably fight to have naming rights again), but it would cost so much more now in just about every way possible. Certainly we would lose control.

Elliott had some really good ideas, and his vision for our ground was one of them, but the animosity he engendered has made us suffer in so many ways.

Exactly Crash et al. We NEED a real home ground! THe top 4 finishers for the past few seasons have games at their own venue - Cats, Hawks and all the interstate teams. 1 extra game at the G? Big deal!

Reply #32
I'm neither here no there on this. Better than a kick in the ass with pointy shoes I guess. At the end of the day, attitude should be play anyone, anywhere, anytime on approximately 20,000m2 of grass.  Posts at either end. Get ball and kick it through the big sticks more times than the other mob and you win. Its a simple game.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #33

If that money had been invested a little more wisely, virtually the entire grounds seating could have been refurbished !!
Yes, the ground's stands, not just the Legend's Stand, are still being paid off. However, the debt is not that high any longer.

It was supposed to be paid off over 25 years originally, as a strong asset with depreciation and all of that stuff. After Princes Park was eliminated as an AFL venue, it was degraded to the point where it was worth more as scrap. The loan then had to be reorganized.
I'm not quite sure of the financial state at this moment, but I am certain that the majority of the debt has been paid.
Thankfully the various layers of government helped to pay for the redevelopment, so that side of things is not a major financial issue.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #34

Yes, the ground's stands, not just the Legend's Stand, are still being paid off. However, the debt is not that high any longer.

It was supposed to be paid off over 25 years originally, as a strong asset with depreciation and all of that stuff. After Princes Park was eliminated as an AFL venue, it was degraded to the point where it was worth more as scrap. The loan then had to be reorganized.
I'm not quite sure of the financial state at this moment, but I am certain that the majority of the debt has been paid.
Thankfully the various layers of government helped to pay for the redevelopment, so that side of things is not a major financial issue.

a bit contradictory here
club has around a 5.3 mill debt
the legends stand appears not stated in the last annual report