Skip to main content
Topic: 2015 Asia Cup (Read 21553 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2015 Asia Cup

Reply #45

AFL and A League can co-exist. They're played at different times of the year at different stadiums. I think it's a great alternative to BBL tbh.

A lot of parents couldn't afford their kids to play 2 sports. That's where the real battle is.

Cricket is probably more expensive than both footy and soccer put together. (Pads, bat, helmet etc.) Footy boots can be used for both footy and soccer too.

I'd even go as far as to say parents would rather their kid plays soccer because there is less contact than football if they had to choose one.

Reply #46
AFL and A League can co-exist. They're played at different times of the year at different stadiums. I think it's a great alternative to BBL tbh.

On the cost of cricket, for kids most clubs provide full team kits as they know the cost of the gear is prohibitive, having your own gear is usually optional and a lot of kids don;t get their own stuff until they have stuck at it for a season or two.

On the BBL, have you seen how many kids roll up? It's not about the game, it about the environment it's conducted in. No flares, fewer drunken bums, plenty of fireworks, flame throwers, drums, music, dancers, etc., etc.. The whole deal is designed to keep kids entertained while the game continues.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #47

On the cost of cricket, for kids most clubs provide full team kits as they know the cost of the gear is prohibitive, having your own gear is usually optional and a lot of kids don;t get their own stuff until they have stuck at it for a season or two.

On the BBL, have you seen how many kids roll up? It's not about the game, it about the environment it's conducted in. No flares, fewer drunken bums, plenty of fireworks, flame throwers, drums, music, dancers, etc., etc.. The whole deal is designed to keep kids entertained while the game continues.

The less kids the better imo. They can have their BBL. It has nothing to do with AFL being worried about soccer, though.

Reply #48
LP Postecoglou has achieved more than any of his predecessors mate, he's going nowhere. JUst looking at the talk he gave them just before extra time if you read his lips he was saying to the boys that they needed to stay positive, and keep playing positive and they would win. You have to take into account the three subs he made were forced subs due to injury and blokes like Cahill and Kruse were the heartbeat of the side in this tournament. I thought he did fantastically well.

Carrots...Not a fan of Kruse.., doesnt do enough IMO, sooks up when its gets tough and spends too much time looking at the ref's for help instead of
getting back to help his mates at times.
Agree on Ang though...been great and welded that team together....the captain doesnt get enough kudos either....nothing pretty about Jedinak and the way he plays but he doesnt lose a contest
and plays it hard but fair.....

Reply #49
....the captain doesnt get enough kudos either....nothing pretty about Jedinak and the way he plays but he doesnt lose a contest
Agree re MJ, a dour defender we gives 110% and leads by example. Tough as nails, love him.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #50

A lot of parents couldn't afford their kids to play 2 sports. That's where the real battle is.

Cricket is probably more expensive than both footy and soccer put together. (Pads, bat, helmet etc.) Footy boots can be used for both footy and soccer too.

[I'd even go as far as to say parents would rather their kid plays soccer because there is less contact than football if they had to choose one.

that's the essence of my argument - the AFL has implemented major changes to the rules to prevent parents from steering away from AFL to soccer..
the problem is that the AFL is cooking the goose that lay the golden egg - the historic attraction of AFL is the hardness and the man on man contests...
further - the legislative nature of the AFL stifling fan engagement of their freedom of expression at games is killing the Code..

Reply #51
Spot on mosquito, I came to Australia with a soccer ball when I was a kid but I fell in love with aussie rules pretty quickly because of the physical contest.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #52
....the captain doesnt get enough kudos either....nothing pretty about Jedinak and the way he plays but he doesnt lose a contest
Agree re MJ, a dour defender we gives 110% and leads by example. Tough as nails, love him.

Guys Jedinak is getting all sorts of kudos in the EPL. Trust me he can be pretty, takes all Palace's penalties and has nailed a few ripper free kicks this season.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!