Skip to main content
Topic: The Greyhound Industry (Read 17281 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: The Greyhound Industry

Reply #30
Actually I don't believe it is that big of an industry. In one news report I think it was put at $300 Million nationwide.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #31
I know a couple of Greyhound owners and they think this issue will just go away.

P1ssing into the wind LR!

The greyhound industry has got up the noses of three state governments; two are new and want to make their mark, the other is about to go to an election.  I suspect that there are more votes among those who are opposed to animal cruelty than among those who want the dishlickers left to look after themselves.  Government action to stop animal cruelty is inevitable.

As long as there is a greyhound industry, there will be owners and trainers who will attempt to get their dogs to run faster by allowing them to maul defenceless creatures.  It's going to get a lot harder for them to get away with their senseless cruelty.

I agree all Governments will do something to deal with this.

The industry wont be fforced to shut though. Too many billions at stake.... including to rural and regional areas

I think you're right - no government has mentioned shutting the industry down.  I imagine a few public servants will be burning the midnight oil while they come up with an acceptable program to reform the industry.

The NSW Govt has already sacked the board and CEO of Greyhound Racing NSW.  Interestingly, the NSW Govt has a current inquiry into greyhound racing.  I wonder if it will continue and, if so, with changed terms of reference.

Victoria's response a little weak; an inquiry by the chief vet and an inquiry by the bloke who should have been all over the issue  ::)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #32

I think you're right - no government has mentioned shutting the industry down.  I imagine a few public servants will be burning the midnight oil while they come up with an acceptable program to reform the industry.

The NSW Govt has already sacked the board and CEO of Greyhound Racing NSW.  Interestingly, the NSW Govt has a current inquiry into greyhound racing.  I wonder if it will continue and, if so, with changed terms of reference.

Victoria's response a little weak; an inquiry by the chief vet and an inquiry by the bloke who should have been all over the issue  ::)

Its a parliamentary sitting week in Victoria, and with about 5 or 6 greens across both houses, I think it is unlikely that they (relevant Ministers) will be able to brush this one under the carpet without being harassed.

Reply #33
I wouldn't mind becoming the CEO of Greyhounds NSW and take on the huge challenge of cleaning up the industry in this state.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #34
I wouldn't mind becoming the CEO of Greyhounds NSW and take on the huge challenge of cleaning up the industry in this state.

You wouldn't have much time to follow the footy but, without knowing your qualifications and ability, you probably couldn't do worse than the last bloke.  :)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #35
I don't have the qualifications within the racing industry, however, I am a cricket administrator and have been for many years.

Having no vested interest in racing itself (I have the occasional flutter around Cup time but that it is about it), I would purely be focussed on best practices from top to bottom.

It would be a hard slog initially but would get easier over time. It may take as long as 18-24 months to get it completely right but I'd be hell-bent on cleaning it up and making it a reputable sport.

At the moment, I'm working very hard to dramatically improve the standards across the local cricket association after many years of slipshod and 'she'll be right' management. I see many parallels between what I'm doing now and what needs to be done in the Greyhound industry. 

Reply #36
I don't have the qualifications within the racing industry, however, I am a cricket administrator and have been for many years.

Having no vested interest in racing itself (I have the occasional flutter around Cup time but that it is about it), I would purely be focussed on best practices from top to bottom.

It would be a hard slog initially but would get easier over time. It may take as long as 18-24 months to get it completely right but I'd be hell-bent on cleaning it up and making it a reputable sport.

At the moment, I'm working very hard to dramatically improve the standards across the local cricket association after many years of slipshod and 'she'll be right' management. I see many parallels between what I'm doing now and what needs to be done in the Greyhound industry.

It all makes sense now

Reply #38
I want to know what the crickets are doing on the oyster shells  ???

Reply #40

You wouldn't have much time to follow the footy but, without knowing your qualifications and ability, you probably couldn't do worse than the last bloke.  :)

Reckon the NSW Greyhound Industry is due a " sacked, cracked and backed list".....I'm thinking the backed list wouldnt contain many names....

Reply #41
Reckon the NSW Greyhound Industry is due a " sacked, cracked and backed list".....I'm thinking the backed list wouldnt contain many names....

If ever there was the need for a "Ground Zero" approach, this would be it.

Scorch the earth and start again with every trainer, breeder, owner, official etc having to become registered under strict new qualifying criteria. 

Reply #42

If ever there was the need for a "Ground Zero" approach, this would be it.

Scorch the earth and start again with every trainer, breeder, owner, official etc having to become registered under strict new qualifying criteria.

Agreed, Go the Henry II approach.

Sack everyone and make them swear fealty to the new code.

This is the kind of industry where the old ways will keep surfacing.