Skip to main content
Topic: Settling the Back KPP (Read 9424 times) previous topic - next topic

Settling the Back KPP

I don't like this Swingman idea. Perhaps now and again when it might snag you an advantage but a settled FB and CHB (perhaps they swap positions as required) are the foundation you build your side upon. Swinging players might win you today's battle but I think it can cost you the war.

We're at a cross roads. Is it time to look beyond Jamo and Rowe (29 and 28 at year's end)? Find the players who will hold the position for the next 5 - 10 years and take the short term pain of moving from them?

Re: Settling the Back KPP

Reply #1
Yep well i have faith in Jaksch. Kid has a touch of class. I think we need to stick with Rowe and Jamo with Jaksch to learn off them as the third tall. But I agree, let's settle them all, no more swingman tripe. We really hamstrung ourselves without Levi. Bloke busted a gut all summer and was rewarded with no position.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #2
Henderson could be an Alll Australian CHB if we left him there.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #3
I'm also on the Henderson for CHB bandwagon and dont think playing forward is his go.....also agree with Carrots that Jacksh will be ok and the kid had a rough start
vs Griffiths who is a big unit and was on the end of some good delivery.

Reply #4
I also like Sheahan ahead of Thuoy
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #6
Jamie FB, Rowe CHB, that worked last yr, and Jaksch 3rd tall. Release Walker into the midfield or forward, adding more run.

Reply #7
Early days yet but if he doesn't improve in our fwd line over the next couple of weeks we need to seriously think about moving Hendo back into defence. I thought he looked pretty ineffective last night up forward. As I say though, early days.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #8
x2   ..Touhy just doesnt do enough as a defender IMO...

I think since he became a father Tuohy has mellowed considerably, which has cost him his edge!

It can't be helped, some blokes start thinking about getting home safely to see the kids and that is when it all turns sour for them!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #10
I'm also on the Henderson for CHB bandwagon and dont think playing forward is his go.....also agree with Carrots that Jacksh will be ok and the kid had a rough start
vs Griffiths who is a big unit and was on the end of some good delivery.

I like Henderson at CHB too but our forward line look thin without him there. Rowe's best suited at CHB too but Henderson plays better than Rowe up forward. We're stuck there. Jones, Casboult, who'll ruck alot anyway, and Watson won't be holding up any forward line on their own. Need Henderson there. Jones will be a good enough 3rd forward, as he can take a mark, and be very valuable as he might kick 35-40 goals, but not bodily strong enough to be a 2nd or 1st forward. We'll soon learn how much we'll miss Waite despite his drawbacks. With Waite then Hendo could go back. As with Bett's it was Waite's choice though.

That's our lot unfortunately. Henderson will come good.

Reply #11
B : Jacksh, Rowe, Buckley
HB : Yarran, Henderson, White
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #12
I don't like this Swingman idea. Perhaps now and again when it might snag you an advantage but a settled FB and CHB (perhaps they swap positions as required) are the foundation you build your side upon. Swinging players might win you today's battle but I think it can cost you the war.

We're at a cross roads. Is it time to look beyond Jamo and Rowe (29 and 28 at year's end)? Find the players who will hold the position for the next 5 - 10 years and take the short term pain of moving from them?

Agree on the first part. Said as much in the post match thread. You can't have your CHB pinch hitting in the ruck. You need stability in the back 6.

I don't mind the swingman idea as something to try when things are not going your way. ie Rowe is getting trounced by Hawkins, so swap him and Hendo. However, you can not take a player out of a role they are performing ok simply because you don't have another option in the ruck. You not only take him out of the back 6, but you take the sting out of his legs as well as he'd be doing more running around the ground than he would plonked in defensive 50.

As for the second part...too soon to throw them out. Imagine if the bombers did that with Fletcher. They would've lost 10 years from him!

By all means draft replacements, i think we have tried with Giles and the recruitment of Jaksch but don't send them packing.

Reply #13
I agree with Hendo but the problem is he is our best CHB but he is also our best CHF. I like what Jones did last night and he is far from being the answer but if can lay a couple tackles in the 50 and snag a couple every week then I am happy but he needs Hendo down there to do that otherwise he will get too much attention.

What we really lack also is a classy 3rd tall type up forward which is why we need Walker back asap. The stuff up was not playing Casboult, Jacksh I like but is no key tall at the moment and only a 3rd tall either end.

Reply #14
I agree with Hendo but the problem is he is our best CHB but he is also our best CHF. I like what Jones did last night and he is far from being the answer but if can lay a couple tackles in the 50 and snag a couple every week then I am happy but he needs Hendo down there to do that otherwise he will get too much attention.

What we really lack also is a classy 3rd tall type up forward which is why we need Walker back asap. The stuff up was not playing Casboult, Jacksh I like but is no key tall at the moment and only a 3rd tall either end.

The problems is that the stuff up (leaving Casboult out) was blindingly obvious before the game, so why didn't the match committee see it?

Jaksch, Casboult, Henderson, Everritt