Skip to main content
Topic: RIP Richie Benaud (Read 8397 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: RIP Richie Benaud

Reply #15
Cricket just won't be the same without the great Richie Benaud. RIP.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #16
I'm getting on a bit now, but I honestly cant remember ever hearing a bad word about Richie Benaud.

Gentleman is a term being generally used.
Humble is another.

A champion sportsman and a champion person
RIP

Reply #17
Very sad, RIP Ritchie, thanks for many memories, you made cricket so much more enjoyable to watch

Reply #18
I use to see Richie every day on his morning walk in Coogee.
RIP

Reply #19
I'm getting on a bit now, but I honestly cant remember ever hearing a bad word about Richie Benaud.

Gentleman is a term being generally used.
Humble is another.

A champion sportsman and a champion person
RIP

Perfectly said. +2
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #20
Richie Benaud was a cricket legend when I was at primary school although I have much stronger memories of Bill Lawry (a Victorian and I was a bit older when he was skipper) and John Benaud (who dared to wear Adidas cricket boots with coloured stripes).

Richie was a bit of a lad, playing with his shirt unbuttoned, but that was the influence of Keith Miller.  In fact, I recall Richie saying that the exposure to the sun that caused his skin cancer was because Keith Miller didn't wear a hat and everyone wanted to be like Miller.

Of course, for most of my life, Richie has been a cricket commentator.  At times he was a tad annoying but he was always knowledgeable and forthright.  He was self-deprecating too and rarely spoke about his own career.

Probably the thing that epitomises Richie's life is the recent Australia Day ad.  Clearly his health was failing but it was a good cause and he had a bit of fun.  It featured his propensity for understatement and his dry sense of humour and is a fitting tribute to a great cricketer, entertainer and Australian.

RIP

x2 You covered it all DJ....sad loss to cricket and Aus culture..

Reply #21
Richie and Kieth Millar were thought to be getting paid to wear a hair lotion. When Richie was asked about it he answered that he couldn't possibly say whether he was or not and nor could he tell how much he was getting.

I don't think we'll ever see that type of wit or charm in the commentary box again.

Reply #22
Every now and again he'd pull a great self deprecating comment for the whitewater rafting prize in the classic catches segment.

Reply #23
Richie and Kieth Millar were thought to be getting paid to wear a hair lotion. When Richie was asked about it he answered that he couldn't possibly say whether he was or not and nor could he tell how much he was getting.

I don't think we'll ever see that type of wit or charm in the commentary box again.

Keith Miller was my boyhood cricketing hero - suave and dashing in those days, an ex Battle of Britain Spitfire pilot, famous cricketer and an inexhaustible supply of Brylcreme . All my dreams rolled into one! Rich was the much better broadcaster though.
Reality always wins in the end.