Skip to main content
Topic: Channel your anger (Read 9412 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Channel your anger

Reply #15
I was going to mention the same incident Shakin did in regards to Pittman in 97 with Blight.

MM made it clear during the preseason, he said something along the lines of if a player is down because of what the senior coach and/or the assistant coaches have said, he does NOT expect others around the club will give the player a shoulder to cry on and tell them it will be okay. That when he or the assistants do criticize a player there is a method to it. There is a reason for the criticism and there is a path they want the players to follow to deal with that.

I would think that MM who usually composes quite well before a media conference and goes in there knowing exactly what he wants to say would have decided in advance that this needed to be said about the players. We as supporters have no real idea, we can only guess ourselves.

It may be that the players are too precious and he wanted to call that out. We generally have a well behaved football club, with a few exceptions, but we are also too well behaved on the field as well and we certainly don't have the mongrel about us.

I haven't heard MMs comment, but I did see something about him calling out 10 players and that is on the back of the significant cuts he mentioned. I believe this team had some sort of chance of a flag under Brett Ratten, but not under MM. To get one under MM we have to embrace change and that includes to the list because quite simply this team doesn't have the makeup to play a brand of football MM wants at a level consistently enough for a top 4 finish, let alone a flag.

He needs to rebuild this side, there is no way around that now.
Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Reply #16
And then back on topic  :P
I am considering a trip to NZ in the next couple of months. Have not finalized anything yet, but have started looking around.
Have always wanted to go there and not really sure why I haven't it looks like it has some spectacular areas.
Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Reply #17
I think it is a poor show when a Coach attacks his players - as Mick did last night!
What he might say to them in private is one matter, but to be critical publically reveals he has lost it.
He ought to apologize
What would happen if players criticized the team selections?

Agree!

Reply #18
I agree with pretty much all MM said, becoming apologists for the output of certain players won't help us move forward as a club. A number of them have to go!

It isn't rocket science to work out who and what went wrong last night. Freo are famous this season for scoring in bursts, this happens because they eventually wear down the opposition who stop for a breath and by the time they catch that breath it is too late, game over. We were happy to go hard at Freo for 8 out of 10 minutes, provided we got a minute or two rest. Freo played for 10 out of 10 and rested after the final siren! Watch the replay, see a few of our guys strolling along half a kick behind play, it is very revealing.

Being hard as a player isn't just about belting blokes or putting your head over the ball. It' as much about leaving no stone unturned, Freo do not want to give you a thing, we are happy to share everything!

When the pressure is on we become "Cliquey", there is a group of players in our team that first look for each other then if it is still not too late look for the best option. Freo are a good team, they go the correct way every time regardless of who is getting the ball, they are not about looking after your mate with some cheap stats or kicking it to your buddy.

One of the worst offenders is one of our better players, 1AW keeps kicking the ball to Betts and Garlett in 2 on 1 or contested marking situations. Despite him cleaning up across HB he is the cause of so much of what goes wrong. We work hard, but one poor 1AW choice turns the ball over and the chase starts all over again. In the end frustration and despair take over and the team ethic is lost. Worst of all he is not learning from his mistakes, he has already cooked the careers of Casboult and Hampson with his poor choices, and Rowe, Kreuzer and other potential resting or full time forwards will suffer as well. 1AW is an incredibly talented, incredibly dumb AFL footballer.

Betts and Yarran. The only time they do not have goal vision is if there is a chance they can handball backwards so that they get a chance to run into forward space. Otherwise it's "Goal, goal, goal for me" thinking. Tonight like so many games this year you can see instances when Simpson, Armfield, McLean and Lucas worked hard to get into free space only to be completely ignored. For professional footballers this is disgraceful behavior, child like decision making! They are unprofessional!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #19
Top post LP.

I'm going fishing up Qld for 6 weeks. Stuff the finals and the election, I'll be out on the barrier reef somewhere.

No more three amigo's for me. When Garlett first started playing  Betts talked up his tackling as being something special and it was a bit but no now. What happened? Its got to be the culture. There's going to be some big changes, there has to be.

Who would want to move to Carlton after what we've done to Juddy and his career. We sucked everything out of him and couldn't even work out how to protect him and give him a break from the taggers. I reckon Murf is feeling pretty lonely out there sometimes as we're doing the same to him. We need a Leigh Brown or two.

Reply #20
We need a Leigh Brown or two.

Did you see Sandilands float forward and bury his knees into the backs on quite a few occassions, we have nobody with any mongrel by comparison. Twice Watson tried to spoil Sandilands by punching, Freo deliberately put the ball high to the big fella, a team like Hawthorn would puncture his lung!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #21
We need a Leigh Brown or two.

Did you see Sandilands float forward and bury his knees into the backs on quite a few occassions, we have nobody with any mongrel by comparison. Twice Watson tried to spoil Sandilands by punching, Freo deliberately put he ball high to the big fella, a team like Hawthorn would puncture his lung!

Yep Hodge would find a way to cut that crap out.

Reply #22
The only thing I did not like about the MM post match was his pandering to Freo. Sure they are good but he might as well have given Lyon a blow job!

Get angry, get critical, but don't be pumping up the opposition tyres under any circumstance.

Respect is good, too much respect is ridiculous!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #23
And then back on topic  :P
I am considering a trip to NZ in the next couple of months. Have not finalized anything yet, but have started looking around.
Have always wanted to go there and not really sure why I haven't it looks like it has some spectacular areas.

It has some beautiful scenery, I recommend the Milford sound trek over three days it shows some amazing sites! Also Mt cook in the summer/autumn is really nice and you can easily get up and check out a few glaciers.

Queenstown obviously great in winter time and has an amazing buzz around town.