Skip to main content
Topic: Round 5 preview Carlton v Collingwood  (Read 49438 times) previous topic - next topic

Round 5 preview Carlton v Collingwood

Friday 1st May, 19:50. MCG.

Well, we all know the record associated with this game.

Let's go lads.

Re: Round 5 preview Carlton v Collingwood

Reply #1
Anybody watching the Anzac Day clash ?

Dour struggle. Cloke being played outside F50, and Buckley persisting with a mostly small forward line - mainly Swan and Elliott.

Reply #2
I've seen some of it, I reckon if Collingwood fight like this against us we are In for a hard night at the G.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #3
 We scrap alright. Only have lost the contested ball once this year to the eagles. Teams kill us on the rebound.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #4
We scrap all right. Only have lost the contested ball once this year to the eagles. Teams kill us on the rebound.
Alas. I guess the poor condition don't hurt us as we miss the target even when things are at their best.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #5
Anybody watching the Anzac Day clash ?

Dour struggle. Cloke being played outside F50, and Buckley persisting with a mostly small forward line - mainly Swan and Elliott.

We've traditionally been pantsed by small forwards. Hopefully a slog in the wet has them slightly off their game. Rowe will need to pull his finger out, no need to do our usual trick of playing struggling opposition players into form.

Reply #6
Any chance that Murph, judd and Cripps will all play next week ? Who does Collingwood use as taggers ? Their main guy Macaffer is out with a knee injury.

Reply #7
If today's Pies game is any indication, they will put a lot more pressure on us than the Saints did. It'll be a good test and we will have to put in for 4Q.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #8
Any chance that Murph, judd and Cripps will all play next week ? Who does Collingwood use as taggers ? Their main guy Macaffer is out with a knee injury.

Adams will probably tag Murphy.....Robbo belted him last season and got 2 weeks from memory ..thinks he is a  tough guy does Adams and needs a good hip and shoulder early to show him who is boss.
I would expect ex Brisbane player Jack Crisp to get Cripps....Crisp is 190cm and built along the lines of Cripps....think our man is better but Crisp can kick the odd goal
and Cripps will need to man him up  when we dont have the footy...

Collingwood may let Judd go head to head with Pendlebury or maybe use someone like Toovey on him....the plan with all teams on Judd now appears to be to punish Judd
for his lack of defensive running and play a ball winning offensive player on him when possible, I wouldnt be allowing Pendlebury to run loose under any circumstance...
A player like Seedsman might be used on Judd or Gibbs to punish them for not running back...the Collingwood player likes to break into the open and run with the ball and can kick a goal as he showed today. Plenty for Mick to think about.....Whiley might be a good inclusion, you cant play shorter players on Pendlebury.

Reply #9
Adams will probably tag Murphy.....Robbo belted him last season and got 2 weeks from memory ..thinks he is a  tough guy does Adams and needs a good hip and shoulder early to show him who is boss.
I would expect ex Brisbane player Jack Crisp to get Cripps....Crisp is 190cm and built along the lines of Cripps....think our man is better but Crisp can kick the odd goal
and Cripps will need to man him up  when we dont have the footy...

Collingwood may let Judd go head to head with Pendlebury or maybe use someone like Toovey on him....

Interesting thoughts - thanks Elwood.

Reply #10
Toovey is a dirty little sniper and another who needs to be dealt with if he tries any of his typical "heroics" eg running back with the flight of the ball crashing into somebody attempting to "spoil" or arriving high and late in yet another "spoiling" attempt.   Another who has gotten away with way to much over the years.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #11
Toovey is a dirty little sniper and another who needs to be dealt with if he tries any of his typical "heroics" eg running back with the flight of the ball crashing into somebody attempting to "spoil" or arriving high and late in yet another "spoiling" attempt.   Another who has gotten away with way to much over the years.
In some ways I wish we had a mongrel or 2: real mongrels get away with things that our players do not and have the skills now not to get caught. Consider Hodge: a class one thug. His 'reputation' of being a 'tough guy' allows him to get away with stuff that Robinson usually got suspended for. He goes to hurt his opponent, yet nothing is made of it. Had we a few of these guys, we could earn the rewards of having opposition champions in the medical rule instead of ours being in the medical rule.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #12
The hit Toovey handed out in round 1 was late, high and dangerous and he should have got 4 weeks IMO, it was very ugly and totally unnecessary.

I'd be telling our big forwards that if the sod tries that sh1t next week not to pull up.

Is the bloke who punched Murphy in the guts today going to be cited?

Reply #13
Is Hendo the only sensible match up for Cloke ?

Cloke seems to be playing up the ground these days, out of goal kicking range, more as a HFF / wingman.

Reply #14
Cloke playing further up the ground is a real worry, moreso than if he is onside 50.  I saw him take about 15 marks in a game relatively a few years ago against Hendo playing at CHF and he was so far BOG it wasn't funny.  Cloke is far better in that role and his field kicking is good- he controlled play in the front half of the ground that day.  The problem for the pies then becomes who becomes the target inside 50 if Cloke is playing higher?

None of Rowe or Jamison have to pace to go with the Pies' talls on a lead, and Jaksch lacks the mass.  Gault is another one we struggled with in the pre-season.