Skip to main content
Topic: VFL Rd: 3 Northern Blues vs. Sandringham (Read 43365 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: VFL Rd: 3 Northern Blues vs. Sandringham

Reply #45
I reckon that Levi has had his spirit crushed. He reminds me in ONE way of Percy Jones. Jones was a hopeless footballer when playing in the seconds, but put him in the firsts and he came out of his shell.

Levi does play with spirit in the Firsts, his issue, as we all know is his kicking.

But, no one can tell me, that he would not have been a better bet than Warnock on  Friday night.

We are not going to make the 8, so persevere with him and let him play the year out in the firsts, and if he doesn't click or learn how to kick better, get rid of him.

Reply #46
If Casboult and Menzel cant dominate in the 2nds there really is no hope.

Not always right. Many do better when called up into the seniors. We know Menzel can play.

As for Casboult people expect him to be a ruckman and kick a pile of goals a game. If he did that he'd be one of the game's most valuable players. Won't happen. If he's a ruck don't expect a huge scoreboard contribution, although there would be some if he could kick straight. He does his job, decent 2nd ruck and takes marks around the ground. Ridiculous Mick picks him as a ruck then drops him for not scoring. That's the two KP forwards job. Solution...pick Warnock ::).

Reply #47
Spot on Jim... If the 2nd ruck kicks 1 goal a game you would be happy.  Any more you would be ecstatic. Perhaps Levi was down in form, but bringing Warnock into the team as the late replacement was crazy. Levi gives us more around the ground than Warnock, is more chance of hitting the scoreboard, even with his dodgy kicking.

That selection call was up there with "3 Rucks" debacle.

I'd play Levi regardless, we can't play Wood and Warnock in the same team.

Reply #48
Be interesting to see whether we play Kreuzer/ Casboult or Kreuzer/Wood when that option becomes available - if it becomes available I should say.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #49
The club lists our best players as: N. Graham , B. Johnson , K. McGuinness , N. Holman , B. Walsh , J. Johnston ...though from experience this is not always accurate!

If true, then you'd have to give Nick Graham a gig ahead of Slug Ellard.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #50
I agree re Casboult having his spirit crushed. Works his butt off and has a cracking preseason, is super fit, and gets dropped for round 1 against the Tiges. Great message to send...not!

Look forward to the club rewarding Nicky Geaham for his BOG with a game next week. Will be starting as sub no doubt if he does get picked.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #51
Hi, everyone.  This is my first post, although I've been an avid reader for several years.

I went to this game hoping that I would see a few players who would play well enough to push for inclusion in the firsts. Unfortunately, it turned out to be more of the same old same old.  We seem to have recruited many players over the years who are unable to rise above mediocrity.

The player who really impressed me was on the opposition side - Jason Holmes on their rookie list.  He was recruited in October 2013 from the United States and is an ex-basketball player.  According to the Record he is 203cm and weighs 99 kilos.  In the game today he showed mobility, speed and athleticism that Casboult, Wood and Warnock can only dream about.  In addition, he kicked and marked well.

Perhaps in future our recruiters could look across the Pacific as well as looking to Ireland.

Reply #52
Hi, everyone.  This is my first post, although I've been an avid reader for several years.

I went to this game hoping that I would see a few players who would play well enough to push for inclusion in the firsts. Unfortunately, it turned out to be more of the same old same old.  We seem to have recruited many players over the years who are unable to rise above mediocrity.

The player who really impressed me was on the opposition side - Jason Holmes on their rookie list.  He was recruited in October 2013 from the United States and is an ex-basketball player.  According to the Record he is 203cm and weighs 99 kilos.  In the game today he showed mobility, speed and athleticism that Casboult, Wood and Warnock can only dream about.  In addition, he kicked and marked well.

Perhaps in future our recruiters could look across the Pacific as well as looking to Ireland.

I think the club did send recruiters to the States in the last couple of months...

North have an American recruit too....

Reply #53

Appreciate the contribution Macca - seems a reasonable comment to me.

Reply #54
Spot on Jim... If the 2nd ruck kicks 1 goal a game you would be happy.  Any more you would be ecstatic. Perhaps Levi was down in form, but bringing Warnock into the team as the late replacement was crazy. Levi gives us more around the ground than Warnock, is more chance of hitting the scoreboard, even with his dodgy kicking.

x2....it was a dumb selection, Casboult is the future and Warnock should be confined to the NB's then moved on....

Reply #55

Wood was 2nd ruck Friday night, he kicked 2 goals! ;)

They can't play Levi, he is ripping the heart out of the side with every miss, soon Jones will follow suit and White might return or Foster could get a run.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #56
Good point LP. Levi still a better option than Warnock on Friday night.

Reply #57
Wood was 2nd ruck Friday night, he kicked 2 goals! ;)

They can't play Levi, he is ripping the heart out of the side with every miss, soon Jones will follow suit and White might return or Foster could get a run.

Wood plus Warnock averages about 2 marks per game between them.

Casboult 6 or 7 on his own.

We play a game plan where at every opportunity we heave the ball long to a marking contest.

So you drop the ONLY player in your team who can take a pack mark and replace him with a 7 foot tall bloke who hasn't taken a mark since prohibition.

Does not make any sense.

Explain to me what Ellard is doing in the team. Slow, short, poor skill, barely touches the ball and.... did I mention slow?

Reply #58

Thanks for your contribution Macca, always good to get a new perspective especially from someone prepared to go along to an NB game.  8)
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #59
I agree re Casboult having his spirit crushed. Works his butt off and has a cracking preseason, is super fit, and gets dropped for round 1 against the Tiges. Great message to send...not!

Look forward to the club rewarding Nicky Geaham for his BOG with a game next week. Will be starting as sub no doubt if he does get picked.

We have a dumb fark run club Carrots.