Skip to main content
Topic: Carlton v Fremantle- Post Match (Read 14870 times) previous topic - next topic

Carlton v Fremantle- Post Match

We'll lock the game thread up shortly.
Let's concentrate on discussion of the game in this one ;)

Not a bad effort for three quarters....but washed away in the last
Quite a few passengers tonight.

Re: Carlton v Fremantle- Post Match

Reply #1
When does this year finish?
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #3
With that many spuds in the side it was never going to be any different, only Freo's showboating saved us from a 60 or 70 point walloping.
We have no key position players, none, nada, zilch, it's going to be a long road back.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #4
I dont see what every1 else must see in Menzel. He does sweet f all. Lots of players down tonight......too many. Cas has to learn to impose himself. The ball was never kicked well too him  or not even in his general direction but hes got to learn that in games like that, hes got to impose his body and strength and compete. He seemed to give up and get pushed off theball too easily.

AFAIC Yarran and Hendo can pack their bags now. They are a shadow of their former selves. Yazz is bordering on being an imposter.

Gameplan. What is it.. ? Why on earth would you kick the ball backward 50 meters if you have posession forward of the wing? Got me stuffed why we go back and sideways so often when the obvious play is to give our fwds the best chance of marking it and getting the ball I50 quickly.

Mm frustrated me. We might be competing better for longer in games but JB aint instilling me with much confidence either with this game plan.
Too little and Way too late. Pull your fingers out boys!!

Reply #5
Ugly game and we hung in there for a while but in the end some of our blokes just stopped trying...with the Hwaks next week it could be a 20 goal plus beating if we dont
play 4 quarters and at least keep them honest..

Yarran....ok at times and horrible at times like he didnt care...not sure where his future is

Jamo....lousy start but seemed to recover his composure...

Henderson.....couple of good things mixed with some ordinary efforts including easy dropped marks, poor ball use.....see Chris Yarran ..

Docherty...good and showed fine attack on the footy..probably has the B&F in the bag//

Simpson.....did ok but wasnt his usual  effective self IMO.

Buckley... liked his game, mixed it and beat Ballaantyne but can turn it over... though I dont mind that when you are trying to create something and the lad has a go.

Fields.....another education for Tom.....

Touhy...not for me tonight, wasnt taken with his game at all and thought he put the cue in the rack and wasnt that interested..

Everitt...one nice goal and nothing else...lacked intent on the ball and played bruise free footy...needs dropping to the NB's

Menzel...subbed out after one goal and not much else..not sure if injured..

Walsh.. subbed in for Menzel and found Fyfe, Mundy, Barlow and crew a fair step up from the VFL....got caught between contests and obviously needs
game time and educating how to read the game..

Murphy....had DeBoer for company who knocked him around, tried hard but didnt impact..

Curnow...plenty of ball, worked hard but his disposal is atrocious....

Bell...couple of handy goals along with some typical brain dead ball usage....

Casboult....never got near it all night and he was playing on a no name player ..Pearce from memory...not good enough...

Kruezer...got smacked in the ruck but worked hard around the ground...tired in the end and Sandy had a picnic in the ruck...

Tutt....for the King its probably a reasonable game but he turns the ball over with timid play and isnt up to it...wouldnt be sleeping well knowing its the Hawks next week.

Cripps...tougher night at the office with Freo's star mids in action but he battled on and would have learned something...

Holman...just went, kicking was ordinary and he needs a couple of big games to secure his spot on the list.

Carrazzo..not a big night and weight of numbers with Freos mids made life hard...

White....ok on superstar Fyfe in a Crowley type role and did limit the brownlow favourite....

Rowe....poor game and looked like a SANFL player...

Reply #6
I dont see what every1 else must see in Menzel. He does sweet f all.

Menzel has missed quite a few games with injury and certainly not fit. Think that's obvious to anyone that knows anything. People just don't want to see that. He's shown he can play during his first 2 years.

Reply #7
Dylan Buckley 23 touches at 87% disposal efficiency. Only one clanger in the game. Not bad for a kid hell bent on taking the game on. One massive positive to take out of the game. Beats his man as well.

Holman coming along nicely definitely looks up to the tempo of AFL football.

Simon White amazing effort I think he beat Fyfe tonight Fyfe had little to no influence on the game and White kicked a goal.

Rowe and Everitt were poo both need to taste some reserves action. I don't even  want to think about Yarran and hendo just a terrible situation to be in both are losing value on the trade table at a rapid rate we may get very little for them in the end.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #8
Watched the first 10 mins, wasn't at all enamoured with the game, couldn't see us winning and that was it for me, apart from score/stat updates on the AFL app. Real happy I didn't stick around to watch what must've been a horrific last quarter that could've been so much worse.

Don't think I've dreaded a game as much as I'm dreading next Friday night......
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #9
No real champions tonight. I was amazed to see we had 74 tackles which I thought we actually had way less. The effective tackles would have been far fewer. We did play the top side and were in the game up until the last quarter. No score at all in the last is a complete joke IMO. No matter who you play, and no matter what the conditions are.

Funny thing is that our more dangerous players of the past were Henderson, Menzel and Yarram. Yet in more recent games they are our biggest passengers. I really am not happy with this game tonight at all. Fair call that we did try to keep us in the contest and game for most of the game. However, Freo let us off the hook by turning the ball over too often. Their coach will be furious with their performance. If we bring what we did tonight against Hawthorn, we better expect a 100 point loss. They know how to crush sides.

There are a few positives, but I will need to see the replay to see what they were. Sure Kreuzer struggled against the bigger body Sandilands, but I still see him as being in our best 5. His second and third efforts always stand out. I just wish he could kick more goals for us. We lack the ability to put the pressure on the score board.  >:(
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #10
Simon White amazing effort I think he beat Fyfe tonight Fyfe had little to no influence on the game and White kicked a goal.

And there we have it......everyone bagging the crap out of White when he's having to play totally out of position opposed to key forwards, yet when he gets the chance to play his best position (a run-with negating role), we get to see that he actually can add to this team in a very positive way.....think back to round 1 & the job he did on Dusty Martin, got injured when playing on LeCras in round 2 & hasn't played that role again since his return from injury until tonight and BINGO - we have a winner!!!
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #11
White did well holding the Brownlow favourite away from any points in this game. White is far from our worst and maybe in our best when he is played in a role that suits him best. He isn't a key defender playing on a monster. Neither is Henderson. Hendo isn't a key defender or a key forward. Henderson needs to go for a pick. He is a wingman at best at the moment and I think he has his bags already packed to move on. Rowe is not a key forward. He is a defender. He needs to stay. Levi at the moment is not a ruck. He isn't a key forward. I am not sure what he is. I don't want to call him a liability. I really don't. However it is on the tip of my tongue.

I still can't see why we grabbed King Tutt. I also think without Wood in the side we are in trouble.

Where is Walker at the moment. Without Thomas, Judd, Armfield, and Yarran sleeping we have no real run. We gave Garlett away for free. Where is our run and carry going to come from. Sorry to load your shoulders up Barker, but you have little to work with at the moment. I feel sorry for you. I really do.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #12
Our style of play did not allow us the chance to win tonight. We set up way too defensively. I got sick of seeing the ball kicked to Hendo with two or three blokes on him and not a crumber in sight. In fact we've been too defensive the last couple of weeks.

We're not taking the game on and seem to be playing in the Malthouse style again. We're boring to watch and still having holes picked in our defence with extra men in our defensive half. Lets get back to the run and gun approach of the Adelaide and Port Adelaide games and display the energy we had in those matches. Besides this the skills and decision making left a lot to be desired and Everitt,Hendo, Menzel and Yarran are taking the piss.

Good performances by Bucks, Cripps, Docherty and Kreuzer.

Reply #13
Closer than expected really, and freo mucking about would not impress their coach. It was a 10 goal win really.

We are where we are at because we have few skillful players and many dont work hard enough to compensate.

Liked the game of white alot. He stuck hard to his task, and was rewarded with a goal. No easy job against fyfe. Other good players included docherty, murphy (who gets smashed every week) and Buckly who provided run and created options.

Our forward line was non existant, and too often we had the ball around half back in the clear, but we still had 2 or even 3 defenders behind the ball. Easy for freo to set up against with a spare man, so our forwards were playing against several defenders.

It was a very tough game, and the rain late made for tired legs and alot of fumbles. Nevertheless, and even with some good players out, i wonder what the coaching instructions were. We lacked structure and had players moving about position making it even harder to keep shape. Kicking backwards and sideways is a dual result of a lack of confidence and a lack of run but good coaching shouldn't allow it. This thread is about the game, not the coaching, but it was not a great display.

Hendo has the potential to be a decent key forward, but im beginning to doubt his commitment as well as the coaching he has received. If a good trade is on offer it should be considered. Yes he looks more comfortable at half back, but he has more talent, and it is currently being squandered by him and the club. Yarran is a mess, and players such as curnow and Carrazzo have limitations that we all know well.

Hawthorn next week. The way they demolished the swans says it will likely get very ugly.

Reply #14
We're not taking the game on and seem to be playing in the Malthouse style again. We're boring to watch and still having holes picked in our defence with extra men in our defensive half. Lets get back to the run and gun approach of the Adelaide and Port Adelaide games and display the energy we had in those matches. Besides this the skills and decision making left a lot to be desired and Everitt,Hendo, Menzel and Yarran are taking the piss.

It's funny you say that I thought the same last night there was plenty of Mick in the way we played, especially in the last quarter. I wonder if the players lapsed back into it or if it was via instruction. Either way, not Barker's greatest night and it well could have been a little more ugly if Freo has kicked straight.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!