Skip to main content
Topic: Carlton v Fremantle- Post Match (Read 15508 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Carlton v Fremantle- Post Match

Reply #15
lots of negativity again on this forum like to put it down to after game disappointment but what did people expect. We went to perth played the top team who were coming off a bad loss, wanting redemption we held in there for three quarters got  tired and run over at the end .

42 points in the end isnt a bad loss, now before people jump on me for saying a loss is unacceptable get some reality. People here want the to play the kids and ther playing the kids then they bag the kid sor the coaching or its the senior guys fault, well maybe its hard with a lot of young guys not running to the right positions etc.
Maybe when under pressure from one of the best lock down teams around you look up the ground and cant make the best choice because of pressure on other players around you, 1 seconds hesitation and your gone. Young players will learn to sum up the game and know where to run to eventually but not in games against Freo at Freo.

Everyone expects the older guys to carry the young ones through but as we know with our leadership vacuum that aint gonna happen, that why Cripps is getting a heavy tag after 16 games cause he is a born leader and can carry us forward and opp coaches reconise that and tag it.  Keep playing the kids let them learn but dont expect a team with  injured players {menzel} and young players on every line to beat freo in perth .

This team lost me at the start of the year cause they had no heart for the contest but under Barker at least they are tackling and competing and trying. Making mistakes that cost goals and make me want to smash the tv but at least thers some passion in it {well except Yarran} Hawks beat swans by 89 we lost by 45 after being 21`down at 3/4 time it didnt get over 30 untill midway through the qtr. Learning curve as Barker said

Reply #16
It seems Wood needed a rest....and we probably conceded the ruck hit-outs anyway...
But I'm just wondering whether his absence and the fact that Casboult had to do a bit of extra rucking affected his (Casboult's ) performance.

He was a bit of a missing man last night...don't remember seeing much of him at all...especially around the goals.
(Although at times we didn't see many players around our goals. :()

Reply #17
Barker's honeymoon is over!!

Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #18
lots of negativity again on this forum like to put it down to after game disappointment but what did people expect. We went to perth played the top team who were coming off a bad loss, wanting redemption we held in there for three quarters got  tired and run over at the end .

42 points in the end isnt a bad loss, now before people jump on me for saying a loss is unacceptable get some reality. People here want the to play the kids and ther playing the kids then they bag the kid sor the coaching or its the senior guys fault, well maybe its hard with a lot of young guys not running to the right positions etc.
Maybe when under pressure from one of the best lock down teams around you look up the ground and cant make the best choice because of pressure on other players around you, 1 seconds hesitation and your gone. Young players will learn to sum up the game and know where to run to eventually but not in games against Freo at Freo.

Everyone expects the older guys to carry the young ones through but as we know with our leadership vacuum that aint gonna happen, that why Cripps is getting a heavy tag after 16 games cause he is a born leader and can carry us forward and opp coaches reconise that and tag it.  Keep playing the kids let them learn but dont expect a team with  injured players {menzel} and young players on every line to beat freo in perth .

This team lost me at the start of the year cause they had no heart for the contest but under Barker at least they are tackling and competing and trying. Making mistakes that cost goals and make me want to smash the tv but at least thers some passion in it {well except Yarran} Hawks beat swans by 89 we lost by 45 after being 21`down at 3/4 time it didnt get over 30 untill midway through the qtr. Learning curve as Barker said

Generally agree with this. When that performance is put in context....................

Disappointed ? Extremely.

Surprised ? Probably not.

Reply #19
I don't want to be negative and I didn't expect us to win given the amount of newbies we had in the team, the fact it wasn't our best 22 and that Freo are on top of the ladder for good reason. I don't believe the new guys let us down and the margin at the end of the day was acceptable.

I was disappointed though with our approach in terms of moving the ball and the performance of the more senior guys in the team obviously with some exceptions to this (Murphy and White come to mind). Whether it was by instruction or just the way the players approached it, we never gave ourselves the best chance to win. I think we could have acquitted ourselves a lot better with the senior players playing more to their potential and the team taking the game on. Maybe Army is more integral to our game style than we care to admit. Most players cracked in all night, which is a far cry from where we were under Magic Mick and its a level of effort that should be a non negotiable week to week. Lets take it to the Hawks this week.

Reply #20
The Carlton PR machine will spin that we have turned the corner, but we are exactly the same as when Malthouse was serving up awful football...
"...that's the thing about opinion - you don't have to know anything to have one..."  Andre Agassi commenting on Pat Cash 2004
"...the less you know - the more you believe..." - Bono 2006

Reply #21
What happened to the run, spirit and effort we showed against Port ? I'm also concerned about what appears to be a backwards retreat.

Reply #22
Agreed...
"...that's the thing about opinion - you don't have to know anything to have one..."  Andre Agassi commenting on Pat Cash 2004
"...the less you know - the more you believe..." - Bono 2006

Reply #23
What happened to the run, spirit and effort we showed against Port ? I'm also concerned about what appears to be a backwards retreat.

There was no run last night, looked like we were trying a style of "draw and kick/handball" . It did lead to a few goals but the way we miss targets, its a hard ask.

When we did run and take the game on there was nothing in the forward line most of the time unless it was a double teamed Hendo.

It's not about winning, they just want to look at the list and what the can do.

Bloody hard to watch.

You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #24
Barker started by not worrying about getting the job, letting the players run and play with freedom. A few injuries and some plaudits from the scribes about Barker's coaching and all of a sudden we play the lets not get hammered game style again, is it because JB really thinks he's a chance and doesn't want to screw it up? Cause by doing that he is shooting himself in the foot or career.

I got sick of seeing our players put their head over the ball and get hit high, it might be an accident but high contact is still high contact and deserves a free. FFS Fyfe actually turned side on and braced himself.

We have the people complaining about Yarran and rightly so to a big degree, but when players don't get him the ball when he's in the clear like Buckley didn't then if you already have a negative attitude you won't continue to run, it's fine to say he should have that frame of mind but he's human.

Reply #25

Just about nailed it IMO Tommy. Just watched the replay and yes we were ragged round the edges, took poor options at times and made skill errors BUT we had a good go in the first 3 qtrs against the #1 team. We are definitely showing more heart and bearing in mind we were giving valuable game time to young guys like Walsh, Fields and Holman. I think we do have something to work with but again it will come back to our ability to snare more talent in the draft and trade periods and to replace those who don't want to be there or we don't want to be there.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #26
Barker started by not worrying about getting the job, letting the players run and play with freedom. A few injuries and some plaudits from the scribes about Barker's coaching and all of a sudden we play the lets not get hammered game style again, is it because JB really thinks he's a chance and doesn't want to screw it up? Cause by doing that he is shooting himself in the foot or career.

I got sick of seeing our players put their head over the ball and get hit high, it might be an accident but high contact is still high contact and deserves a free. FFS Fyfe actually turned side on and braced himself.

We have the people complaining about Yarran and rightly so to a big degree, but when players don't get him the ball when he's in the clear like Buckley didn't then if you already have a negative attitude you won't continue to run, it's fine to say he should have that frame of mind but he's human.

Barker is doing what the club wants.

They (SOS) just don't want to see the kids playing, they want to see them playing pressure football.

Don't expect any change to this MO. The list is about to get a (another) overhaul.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #27
Just about nailed it IMO Tommy. Just watched the replay and yes we were ragged round the edges, took poor options at times and made skill errors BUT we had a good go in the first 3 qtrs against the #1 team. We are definitely showing more heart and bearing in mind we were giving valuable game time to young guys like Walsh, Fields and Holman. I think we do have something to work with but again it will come back to our ability to snare more talent in the draft and trade periods and to replace those who don't want to be there or we don't want to be there.

Bingo!

Nice summary, Fluffy One. Totally agree. Good to get a look at what we have. I don't think it is PR or spin to say, as JB is, 'We know where we're at and there is a lot of work to be done' or words to that effect. Considering that Kreuz was probably our only decent big bloke last night for us and considering who is out injured and who is playing injured (Menzel!) last night was not as bad as some might think. We do have a long way to go and a lot to learn but I do believe there are signs we're culturally improving - now we need some better cattle, especially big blokes.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #28
Barker is doing what the club wants.

They (SOS) just don't want to see the kids playing, they want to see them playing pressure football.

Don't expect any change to this MO. The list is about to get a (another) overhaul.

According to Andy Mckay there wont be any major culling at seasons end which I find extraordinary given some of the players we have and the little they have shown.
I agree though it seems to be about throwing kids in the deep end and seeing who can swim uner pressure.....only a couple are waving not drowning and Barker would be in the same position as Ratten was and following orders probably originating from SOS..

Reply #29
Mackay has little idea IMO, list manager is running the show now.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?