Skip to main content
Topic: Jarryd Hayne (Read 48878 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Jarryd Hayne

Reply #15
Yeah, but there would be a handful of players on the list that can and will return kicks as well. So he's far from irreplaceable in that regard.

All he has to do is fumble a few returns and questions will be asked.

If the niners like someone on the free agency list and need to cut someone to get him, they might look in Haynes direction if he has fumbled the ball a couple of times.

Reply #16
But that's the difference between punters/kickers and depth players.  The punter and kicker will be thrown in the deep end from the very start.  They will therefore have the opportunity to fail early.  If they do, they're out.  But a depth player may not have any opportunity at all for quite a while.  While that means he won't have the chance to impress, he also has no chance to embarrass himself.  It's not as though they have the ability to show their form in the 2nds and practice sessions would rarely have the sort of full-body-contact which might expose cracks in the psyche.  Even in practice sessions, the depth players would be starved of chances to be involved in snaps.

I guess that he may be given a few plays if there are some early blowout games but in the first half of the year the starters will be given priority.

Reply #17
If Hayne is cut, he is quite likely to get another opportunity elsewhere now. There is a belief that he can play not just in San Francisco, but across the country. He could still fail, of course and he is very likely a long way from starting games, but I would think he would get at least a couple of seasons be it at the 49ers or elsewhere.
Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Reply #18
Will be really interesting to see him get a crack at the real deal.

If he does well it will have a massive knock-on impact on NRL in particular.

Reply #19
I'm not all that familiar with gridiron but it seems pretty clear that Hayne has made the transition very well, including learning many complicated plays.  In addition, he has brought some attitude and is becoming a bit of a crowd favourite.

You have to admire the young man for giving up his day job to pursue a dream and it seems that he will get there.

Finally, I am amused by the CSC folk who profess to follow and understand gridiron.  Their assessments and pronouncements seem to be at odds with those of NFL experts.  Of course, their views on AFL often seem wide of the mark too  ;)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #20
I'm not all that familiar with gridiron but it seems pretty clear that Hayne has made the transition very well, including learning many complicated plays.  In addition, he has brought some attitude and is becoming a bit of a crowd favourite.

You have to admire the young man for giving up his day job to pursue a dream and it seems that he will get there.

Finally, I am amused by the CSC folk who profess to follow and understand gridiron.  Their assessments and pronouncements seem to be at odds with those of NFL experts.  Of course, their views on AFL often seem wide of the mark too  ;)

The 'experts' have fallen in love with Hayne because he does things they haven't seen before. Like shoulder charge a bloke who is trying to tackle him and sitting him on his behind.

They have also fallen in love with him because he is not american. I can't think of anyone who has played american football who hasn't been born/grew up in the US....besides kickers/punters who regularly come from elsewhere.

IMO a good comparison is someone like Aisake Ohailpin.
He was a good athlete with a good background in another sport.
He did things that had commentators in awe.
He struggled to do the basics well.
He struggled to read the play and get the subtleties of the game right.

Ultimately, Aisake got cut in favour of players who had a better handle on the subtlities of the game. People loved what he could do because he was 'different'.

Same with Hayne.

Reply #21
I tend to agree with you to a certain extent Kruds
Just a word of warning though... Jarryd Hayne is no Aisake o'Hailpin
This is an elite footballer and athlete.

Reply #22

....and Aisake didn't play that well in his first 6 months.

Hope Hayne makes it. Long way to go. US sport is far more ruthless and owners do like s good news story at the beginning of the season.

He could fumble twice and never be heard of again.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #23

Not doubting Haynes physical attributes, that puts him on a par with the rest of them. Mentally, he's probably stronger than a lot of them. Intellectually, football wise, he is a long way behind them. He has some big flaws in the way he plays the game at present and it could come back to bite him quickly with a bit of bad luck.

American Footballers place a much higher emphasis on holding onto the ball than they do in rugby. It is not uncommon to get someone to go through a whole season without fumbling the ball once. That would be unheard of in rugby.

Reply #24
I reckon this bloke should know what he is talking about so I'll go with his assessment of Hayne's prospects.

Jarryd Hayne will prove to be a nightmare for opponents as he finds his feet in the game, according to the NFL's director of football development Matt Birk.

Citing Hayne's slick running skills and uncompromising toughness, Birk was left questioning how the 27-year-old can be stopped after watching him in the preseason.

"He's kind of a tough match-up if you will on the opposing team, because what kind of player can sit on Jarryd?" Birk told Sky Sports Radio on Monday.

"He's too big, he can overpower the smaller, faster defensive backs and he's probably too fast for some of the bigger, stronger line-backers.

"And that is key in our game of American football. It's about the match-up and Jarryd with his unique skill-set causes a problem for defences there."
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #25
I reckon this bloke should know what he is talking about so I'll go with his assessment of Hayne's prospects.
Jarryd Hayne will prove to be a nightmare for opponents asIF he finds his feet in the game, according to the NFL's director of football development Matt Birk.

For Hayne, being used as a running back, he needs to get past the line of scrimmage first. To do that he has to hope his offensive line can make a big enough hole for him to get through. If they do, like any running back, he will do well.

If they cannot make a big enough hole for him, he will struggle to pick the right gaps and get the right timing to break through the line and get into the secondary, where he will be taking on the defensive backs and linebackers mentioned in the article which he might have an advantage over.

Football is a team game. He will rarely be one-on-one in the secondary and will have up to 6 players trying to tackle him at once. Doesn't matter how big and strong you are in 1-on-1 if you face those numbers.

For any casual NFL fans out there, you may know the name Tim Tebow. If not, look it up.

He is/was a quarterback who did tremendous things out on the turf when given a go. He won the heismann trophy (MVP of all college players). He was the great white hope. 'Tebow Time' was coined and the whole world had Tebowmania. He was talked up by everyone in NFL circles.

He has been cut by 4 teams since and is currently without a team at all. Tebowmania has come from nowhere, reached the highest of heights and disappeared into obscurity in the space of 5 years.

Hayne as good as he is, hasn't got a quarter of the talent that Tebow has. Hasn't got a hundredth of the hype. Everyone needs to lower their expectations on what to expect from him.

49ers first game of the year is against my vikings. I will be watching every second of that and will be happy to report on how well he did/does if/when he actually gets out there.

Reply #26
I think that Hayne making the list is a remarkable achievement and I wouldn't really be surprised if he doesn't go much further.  However, I have a feeling that he is going to have an impact.  I'm not sure why, perhaps because of his determination.

Reply #27
Not sure why but some people seem very determined to talk him down.

Reply #28
Not sure why but some people seem very determined to talk him down.

You say talk him down. I say everyone is overrating him.

As DJC said. Him simply making the list is unheard of. Anything he does from here is a bonus. Making a meaningful impact to the team is like Jimmy Stynes winning the brownlow. A million to 1 shot!

Reply #29
If they cannot make a big enough hole for him, he will struggle to pick the right gaps and get the right timing to break through the line and get into the secondary, where he will be taking on the defensive backs and linebackers mentioned in the article which he might have an advantage over.

I'm ignorant in terms of the game Kruds.
I found this bit interesting though.
This is one area where League players excel.
It's "bread and butter" stuff finding those gaps and timing a break in a defensive line.
You would think his instincts would dictate that this is one area where he'd shine

Of course as you point out it's a different game.