Skip to main content
Topic: New Skipper? (Read 80198 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: New Skipper?

Reply #75
In fact, Murphy is a quite vocal leader on and off the field, but in a very measured way.  The players seem to respond well to him if the game he was miked up in is any guide.  I don't think Kreuzer would have the same ability to communicate with team mates, but you never know.

I am not an expert either way DJC. I just throw it out there based on what I have heard or seen. Humphrey Bear says very little but shows heaps in terms of intensity. That is the only reason why I voted how I did in this circumstance. Less said and more action. I am not correct very often though.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #76
No to co-captains can't stand that stuff personally.

I'm not a fan either but we don't have many options.

Stick with Murphy who struggled, throw Cripps to the wolves or spread the load for the time being.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #77
I am not an expert either way DJC. I just throw it out there based on what I have heard or seen. Humphrey Bear says very little but shows heaps in terms of intensity. That is the only reason why I voted how I did in this circumstance. Less said and more action. I am not correct very often though.

I'm sure that the players and coaches now a lot more about who the best leaders are than we do Mantis.  For all we know, Murphy may have confided in Bolton that he's not happy in the role and Kreuzer could well be the players' choice.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #78
From what BB has been saying recently he is very actively evaluating what leadership qualities are present at the club. He no doubt knows exactly what he's looking for and what he needs to instill. I'm pretty confident we'll have a decent option in place for next year. As I've previously posted, I think it will be Murph (if he wants it) but I don't pretend to know all of the factors at play.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #79
From what BB has been saying recently he is very actively evaluating what leadership qualities are present at the club. He no doubt knows exactly what he's looking for and what he needs to instill. I'm pretty confident we'll have a decent option in place for next year. As I've previously posted, I think it will be Murph (if he wants it) but I don't pretend to know all of the factors at play.

Captains need to be in automatic mode on the training track, not still on the learning curve. There is no room to be a beginner on all fronts!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #81
Nick Maxwell in the Herald Sun has said No to Cripps being captain, reckons the off field stuff will wear him down too much at such a young age....probably advice worth taking.....although Cripps is now the face of the club and the media will chase him regardless of being captain or not..

Reply #82
Nick Maxwell in the Herald Sun has said No to Cripps being captain, reckons the off field stuff will wear him down too much at such a young age....probably advice worth taking.....although Cripps is now the face of the club and the media will chase him regardless of being captain or not..

The off field stuff isn't just media. It's attending management meetings, strategizing with the coach. All sorts of crap. I reckon the media stuff is actually fairly light on.

Reply #83
Stick with Murph, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone like 2E got the gig.

They would have drafted a translator in the PSD if Tuohy was going to get the gig! :D
The Force Awakens!

Reply #84
Give it to Dylan with Silvagni as Vice...

That would be like enlisting an eggshell to protect a cannonball!

I think the only realistic alternative to Murphy is Simpson or Gibbs, and both of them have significant downsides.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #86
I'll be shocked if Murphy is not captain in 2016, just can't see a viable alternative, and I thought he was good in the second half of 2015

Reply #87
Real shame as the Club screwed it up by not giving it Carrazzo. People actually listened to him. Murphy was a terrible choice, though I wonder if he would have walked if we had not given him the captaincy? I don't buy it personally - comes across as a straight shooting, one club guy. He is not and will never be a really great captain...at least not in the role that he plays on field. If they could release him from the inside so he can contribute more without getting smashed by bigger players every week? Maybe then. I actually really like it when he drifts forward...you know he is killing it when he get into the F50..he has some amazing vision and disposal when he gets up there.

Docherty and Cripps are good choices - for 2017. Buckley is not imposing enough to be captain...I can't remember from the top of my head who it was that rag dolled him a year or two ago..it was embarrassing..was it Jamo or Walker, who just stood there and let it happen in front of them as well. He's got pluck the young lad, but I'd rather Cripps or Doherty come charging in to help if I was in trouble adn laying down the law. Doherty less so, but he is terribly well spoken. Impressive young man.

I'd love to do a Willy John McBride Call 99 the next time someone tries to pick a fight with one of our own..that would be Godly. For those who don't know, it was a defining moment in a famous British and Irish Lions Tour in S Africa in the 70s. The Saffers were a rough, brutal lot and it was agreed that the Captain - Willy John McBride, an imposing Northern Irishman, that whenever "Call 99" was issued on field..that the entire team would be expected to come charging in and get stuck. It was the only time they needed to make that call. No one messed with them again for the whole tour. Watch a clip when he recalls how it came about...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hU-c4YyEVMY

That's what I want our boys to be like..I always did. Build from the back, make our back 6 so good that they get called "the wall" and expect to be in pain trying to get through. Utterly bloody ruthless.

One can Dream  ;D

Let's lock in Murphy for the year and Bolton and the Coaches will have a better idea by mid next year I'd say of who is a possible lock.
Keep the Faith

Reply #88
Rohan Connolly has a look at three clubs who may change captains; Fremantle, Essendon and us:

[For Fremantle] There's probably no more appropriate time for a change of captaincy.

That, however, can't be said of the situations at Carlton or Essendon.

Bolton last Monday was, rightly, enthusiastically endorsing the concept of full-scale change across the club at Ikon Park, the theme, loosely, that with a virtually new club, anything was possible.
That "everything up for grabs" message was far more the idea than any preparation for Murphy to hand over the captaincy reins. But the Blues need to be careful how they go about the psychology of the delivery.

There's an obvious paucity of replacements for Murphy, for starters, Kade Simpson turning 32 next season, Michael Jamison having to concentrate on his own fitness and form, while to saddle Patrick Cripps with the role after just two seasons and 23 games of senior football would be an enormous and potentially costly gamble.

Murphy's quietish nature isn't everyone's captaincy cup of tea, but then the vast majority of those making that judgment aren't privy to the role he exercises around the club beyond match days.

And even on that score, what more could he have done in Carlton's disastrous 2015, finishing runner-up by just one vote to Cripps in the best and fairest?

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/calling-time-on-afl-captains-not-always-clever-20151204-glftq1.html#ixzz3tPs0Z3iF

The comment about Murphy's nature and outsiders not being privy to his role around the club is most apt.

Connolly's closing comment is on the money too:

Change can be very healthy. Yet change simply for change's sake can indicate a shallowness of thought and lack of genuine vision. I reckon Worsfold and Bolton are better than that. And I'd be pretty surprised if either ended up altering the captaincy status quo.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #89
Connolly's closing comment is on the money too:

Yes, that seems to be the considered approach, but I'm not sure BB will get enough rope to be allowed to make the right decision. I think our clubs is littered with sticky fingers!
The Force Awakens!