Skip to main content
Topic: New Skipper? (Read 80265 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: New Skipper?

Reply #165
Murphy and Gibbs lack physical presence and dont command the same respect as say the great premiership captains Hodge, Voss, Carey etc....ideally your captain needs to be able to fly the flag when required, look after and give his team-mates confidence and make a statement to opposing clubs.

Sticks, Fitzy, Big Nick.....we were at our best when we had some muscle tossing the coin...a bloke with a man bun like Gibbs  doesnt have the respect.....and Murphy while brave and willing doesnt have the physical presence we need IMO....

Simon White as a suggestion was laughed at by a few and may not be a media darling but I'd rather be out there with him having my back than either Gibbs or Murphy.....

Reply #166
Agreed Elwood. That's why we should make it Murphy, Gibbs and Kreuzer as co captains. Share the load and I think they will all be better for it.

2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #167
I don't like the idea of co-captains; one captain, one vice-captain and one deputy gives a clear hierarchy.

I would prefer someone with physical presence but we don't have a leader with that attribute at present.  However, physical presence is not essential as many great VFL/AFL captains have shown.  I always admired Bobby Skilton and he was a lot closer to Murphy than was to Hodge.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #168
I don't like the idea of co-captains; one captain, one vice-captain and one deputy gives a clear hierarchy.

I don't like the idea of anyone our list being sole captain. Murphy has been terrible since he took over.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #169
Just on the topic of flying the flag....

Last night I watched a recording of our rd 1 1997 game against the bombers in which Diesel pushed the umpire after the match. In the centre of the ground Olarenshaw knocked out Camporeale with an elbow/forearm right in front of Brett Ratten and Ratts acted like nothing happened.

Peter Dean came from probably 100 metres away to remonstrate and he was the only one who did. Sticks and SOS did not play.

Was this an early sign of things to come?
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #170
Just on the topic of flying the flag....

Last night I watched a recording of our rd 1 1997 game against the bombers in which Diesel pushed the umpire after the match. In the centre of the ground Olarenshaw knocked out Camporeale with an elbow/forearm right in front of Brett Ratten and Ratts acted like nothing happened.

Peter Dean came from probably 100 metres away to remonstrate and he was the only one who did. Sticks and SOS did not play.

Was this an early sign of things to come?

Probably. Another sign was that no one knocked Denham into middle of next week much earlier in the game for harrassing Diesel. If that had been done then Diesel's incident with the ump may never have occurred. I have very very bad menories of that day as I was sitting in the Bummer members area with a friend of mine. It was like being in a feral pig enclosure.  :(
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #171
Murphy a shoe-in to remain Blues captain

http://www.sen.com.au/news/afl/01-16/murphy-a-shoe-in-to-remain-blues-captain-denham#ggTKSoIps1TJVP1T.97

.... and that's the bottom line... coz Greg Denham said so!  ;D

edited - posted wrong link.
Da Di Da Di Dar..Da Di Da Di Dar..Da Di Da Di Da Di Darrr ...Darrr Darr.. We are the NAVY BLUES !!

Reply #172
New coach Brendon Bolton said the midfielder was no certainty to continue in the role late last year, but Denham says the 28-year-old's job was never in doubt.

"I can assure you there's no way he won't be captain, there's not even a clear second best at the moment. So Murphy is a shoe-in," Denham said on Hungry for Sport.

Read more at http://www.sen.com.au/news/afl/01-16/murphy-a-shoe-in-to-remain-blues-captain-denham#xwQCYiGveZO4xuVz.99

Our new coach is only in the job 2 minutes and he's already being called a liar.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #173
Our new coach is only in the job 2 minutes and he's already being called a liar.

Why is Bolton being called a liar?  He said that all leadership positions would be reviewed and a decision made in due course and that's what's happening.  Denham may be right about Murphy getting the job but I suspect that he knows a lot less about our potential leaders than Bolton does now.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #174
Bolton said Murphy is no certainty and Denham said not only is he a certainty but it was never in doubt.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #175
Bolton said Murphy is no certainty and Denham said not only is he a certainty but it was never in doubt.

In fact, Bolton said:

"I'm really open-minded at this stage," Bolton said of Murphy's captaincy on Monday.

"As I said, it's a real reset. I want to be able to feel the leadership - look at it, view it, celebrate it and analyse it.

"At the moment I'm really open."

I reckon that's exactly what is happening; no lies, no spin, just the facts ma'am!

Reply #176

I'm sure at the time Bolton made his statement that Murphy was not a certainty. As time has passed Murphy has emerged as the most likely to captain the club. Denham has simply made this observation. No conspiracy.

Reply #177
My view is that BB isnt sold on Murphy but he will retain the role as skipper but not because he is a great captain or suitable ...purely there are no standout alternatives given Cripps is too young and the other experienced players not up to it either....
Ideally Cripps and Weitering would be our long term leaders but thats a way off yet and we will continue to struggle with leadership on the field until the young players come through..

Reply #178
I doubt Bolton cares much who is named 'captain'. What he wants to develop is more leadership from all the players, that generates the kind of support and teamwork a sucessful team generates. A culture that means players are asking more of each other.
Murphy named captain. Great. But alot more needs to come from senior players especially on and off the field, regardless of who is in leadership groups or anointed with titles.

Reply #179
Bolton doesn't need a captain.

He needs a general.

Murphy will be captain.
We still don't have a general.