Skip to main content
Topic: New Skipper? (Read 79594 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: New Skipper?

Reply #195
I'm really not sure what this means  ::)

Someone has picked up on it...
Noice!

This assumes Bolton's game plan is thug based liked the Angry Ant's version!

Basically, a captain is the figurehead who plays nice for the camera. Role model for the kids. Usually someone marketable.

A general, is someone on game day who gets stuff done. Not always is a role model kind of way.

Hodge was always the general at Hawthorn. Even when Mitchell was captain, Hodge was the one that got things done, changed the game. Sometimes it was a big hit, sometimes it was a kiss. Could also be called an enforcer, but isn't limited to just the physical side of the game, but definitely has that 'aura' about them.
So Hodge, Jono Brown, Greg Williams, Peter Dean, Dermott Brereton, Gary Ablett Snr, Barry Hall are good examples, even someone like Adrian Hickmott and Aaron Hamill qualify.

Every club has a captain, not every club has a general. Sometimes they can be the same thing, but Murphy is no general.

Reply #196
Someone has picked up on it...
Basically, a captain is the figurehead who plays nice for the camera. Role model for the kids. Usually someone marketable.

A general, is someone on game day who gets stuff done. Not always is a role model kind of way.

Hodge was always the general at Hawthorn. Even when Mitchell was captain, Hodge was the one that got things done, changed the game. Sometimes it was a big hit, sometimes it was a kiss. Could also be called an enforcer, but isn't limited to just the physical side of the game, but definitely has that 'aura' about them.
So Hodge, Jono Brown, Greg Williams, Peter Dean, Dermott Brereton, Gary Ablett Snr, Barry Hall are good examples, even someone like Adrian Hickmott and Aaron Hamill qualify.

Every club has a captain, not every club has a general. Sometimes they can be the same thing, but Murphy is no general.

Interestingly, there was a retired Hawthorn player on SEN today (I didn't catch his name) who said that while Tuck was the very quietly spoken captain, it was obvious that Brereton "owned" the club.  However, he described Brereton as more of a troubleshooter or problem solver than a general.  He also said that Mitchell and Hodge are incredibly similar in the way they captained the side.

I would say that Hawthorn has several players who carry out your "general" role; Roughead, Mitchell, Lewis, Rioli, Hodge and possibly Gunston.  They are the blokes who have the ability to take the game by the scruff of the neck and really influence the result.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #197
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #198

I definitely agree with that. Who was our most recent general?
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #202
It's true, Fev was the one. Plus his off days were overstated in his last few years at the club. Certainly picked us up on hi shoulders and carried us over the line in pretty much every big win we had.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #203
Fev, this is why we were weak as piss against the top sides once he left.

Yes, I thought of Fev, but only when he has on song.  Waite is another but only inconsistently.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #204
Wiggins ;D

Reply #205
Wiggins ;D

He wasn't called the Chief for nothing  ;)

Of course, he was one of very few of our recent players who would go out of his way to put a heavy block on opposition taggers.

Reply #206
aka "The Wiggler".
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #207
Murph will remain captain more for lack of another option than him being a great captain. Another big year from Cripps and he will get it for 2017.

Reply #208
Murph will remain captain more for lack of another option than him being a great captain. Another big year from Cripps and he will get it for 2017.

I doubt it.  Bolton and Anthony Klarica won't be taking an ad hoc approach to leadership and the club has stated that Cripps has enough on his plate without being rushed into a leadership role.  If he is ready for a leadership role in 2017, it won't be as captain. 

Reply #209
I doubt it.  Bolton and Anthony Klarica won't be taking an ad hoc approach to leadership and the club has stated that Cripps has enough on his plate without being rushed into a leadership role.  If he is ready for a leadership role in 2017, it won't be as captain.

Yes - I would be extremely surprised (and pretty concerned) if he was 2017 Captain.