Skip to main content
Topic: Meanwhile over at Richmond (Read 4122 times) previous topic - next topic

Meanwhile over at Richmond

Interesting article on the hun, I see "RICHMOND’S Carlton cast-offs" is used rather than Richmond players. Given how injured they are and how often I thought they could go with "the niggles".

RICHMOND’S Carlton cast-offs are in major doubt for the Round 1 clash against their old side, with Chris Yarran and Shaun Hampson still not training with the main group.

Yarran (calf) and Hampson (ankle) have endured frustrating pre-seasons and remain on modified training programs only eight days out from the Tigers’ opening NAB Challenge.

Yarran, traded by the Blues for pick 19 in last year’s exchange period, has suffered a string of soft tissue injuries and remains well short of match fitness.

Tigers football manager Dan Richardson said the club wouldn’t be pressured into over-hyping its stand-alone season-opener against the Blues on March 24.

“(Yarran) is playing his old team, but we didn’t recruit him just to play against Carlton in Round 1,” Richardson said.

“He’s still in the modified group, but he’s improving so hopefully over next few weeks he can join in main training. His calf is OK, it’s probably now about getting the right level of conditioning into him.”

Richardson said Richmond was “happy enough” with Yarran’s condition after the Christmas break before the problems started.

“We were really looking to get him right into it and that’s when he had a bit of calf trouble and that’s what has set him back a bit,” he said.

“Certainly there’s been one or two strains, but another couple may have just been tightness. They can be a bit hard to read, calves.”

Hampson, whose ankle issues restricted him to only four senior games in 2015, is slowly recovering from reconstructive surgery on both ankles.

“He’s hard to put a time-frame on, like ‘Yaz’, but he’s getting closer to returning to the full group,” he said.

“I wouldn’t say he’s had complications because the ankle took a while and naturally when you have an injury like that the muscles around the area can take longer.”

Yarran and Hampson’s injury issues are in stark contrast to dual All-Australian defender Alex Rance, whose extended break has taken him from potential retiree to reinvigorated leader.

Richmond’s reigning best and fairest didn’t return to Punt Road until early January after an American holiday with his wife.

“I think he appreciates the extra time off and he’s done the right thing by him and us in terms of the condition he’s come back in,” Richardson said.

“Certainly when players have earned absolute trust ... I think it’s fair for that to be factored in.

“But he’s come back and hasn’t missed a beat, touch wood.”

Youngster Nathan Drummond, who ripped his ACL in his first AFL game last season, is on track for an April return.

Re: Meanwhile over at Richmond

Reply #1
Yarran and Hampson’s injury issues are in stark contrast to dual All-Australian defender Alex Rance, whose extended break has taken him from potential retiree to reinvigorated leader.

Richmond’s reigning best and fairest didn’t return to Punt Road until early January after an American holiday with his wife.

“I think he appreciates the extra time off and he’s done the right thing by him and us in terms of the condition he’s come back in,” Richardson said.

“Certainly when players have earned absolute trust ... I think it’s fair for that to be factored in.

This is what I like to see, when you start elevating a person above all others just so he can go on a holiday with his wife. What if Jack, Cotchin and Dusty come to the club next season and ask for the same privileges, how does the club say no? Do the players then think the club doesn't trust them?

All going downhill at Richmond.

Best possible scenario for round 1 - Yarran plays and strains his calf in the first ten minutes while being tackled by Cunningham, who stars and picks up the Rising star nomination for the round.  >:D

Reply #2
Ralph was still talking Yarran up yesterday! :D

Haven't we heard all this before? :o
The Force Awakens!

Reply #3
Haha Fatty Yarran has come back out of shape and is now paying the price. EAD Bitchmond.

Re Rance, could not agree more Ray, he obviously held the club to ransom saying if he signed again he would require extra time to go to America and knock on people's doors to spread the word of Jehovah.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #4
Any chance we can get cunningham to play R1 and slice them up?

With a bit of 'THIS is what you could've had Tigers, instead you got the fat bloke in injury group'.

Reply #5

With a bit of 'THIS is what you could've had Tigers, instead you got the fat bloke in injury group'.

Already there with Doc and Hammer. 8)

Reply #6
So glad to be rid of Yarran's poisonous attitude. That goes for the two other lazy pr*cs in Hendo and Menz.
Best thing possible for the development of our crop of youngsters

Reply #7

I wouldn't be unhappy if Cunningham could play on Grigg and show him a thing or 2. Grigg is not in my good books.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #8
So glad to be rid of Yarran's poisonous attitude. That goes for the two other lazy pr*cs in Hendo and Menz.
Best thing possible for the development of our crop of youngsters
x 1,000,000
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #9