Skip to main content
Topic: Loyalty (Read 7175 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Loyalty

Reply #15
I'm wondering if club's loyalty will stay with the AFL.
Given draft concessions, rule changes, academies/boundaries, inconsistencies with match review panels, perceived issues with compensation for free agency, stupid fixtures, drug cheats keeping Brownlow medals etc... I am sure it won't be long until someone gets sick of it and creates a new league.

If Carlton left the AFL and joined a new league, would you follow?
My loyalty is with the Blues!

Reply #16
Interesting post Lods.

I've stuck fat with this club for close to 50 years.  I'd hate to think how much I have invested emotionally in this club.

Then we have parasites like Henderson and Yarran not even trying for a year, and a bloke like Gibbs coming out and admitting that for the greater part of his career he was happy just playing AFL.  Then there are the players sulking around pretending to put in when we all know they aren't.

If some of the players hurt as much as we do they might see beyond the dollars and see that this club and its success or otherwise means a damn lot to some of us out there, so if you want to p!ss off and chase money and "success" at say Norf, don't let the door hit your ass on the way out.

First thing we need to do is create a good culture so we don't have issues like we did with Hendo and Yarran or Gibbs saying he was just happy playing in the AFL. A good culture would see these guys playing their hearts out for us. We need a side that has a great in-field culture, would die for each other, die for a great coach and the club. You have that and you're surprised how well you do and how players would want to stay, money or not. Bulldogs just showed that over the finals series and in the end won a flag despite not having that great a list. To create loyalty you need to create the right environment where few want to leave.

They'll always be some who may leave still if they get a great offer. No-on can blame Buddy and Ablett leaving for the offers they got. Job security comes into things as much as as any other workplace but often in the right environment most will want to stay.

Reply #17
Loyalty works when the relationship is perceived, by both parties, to be in the best interests of both parties. When that perception fades then so does loyalty.

Good point Cookie.
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #18
I'm wondering if club's loyalty will stay with the AFL.
Given draft concessions, rule changes, academies/boundaries, inconsistencies with match review panels, perceived issues with compensation for free agency, stupid fixtures, drug cheats keeping Brownlow medals etc... I am sure it won't be long until someone gets sick of it and creates a new league.

If Carlton left the AFL and joined a new league, would you follow?
My loyalty is with the Blues!

I would not be following AFL now if it weren't for Carlton.  If they left......or as looked possible a few years ago, were dissolved, AFL wouldn't exist for me.
Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #19
I would not be following AFL now if it weren't for Carlton.  If they left......or as looked possible a few years ago, were dissolved, AFL wouldn't exist for me.

I think I would feel pretty much the same. Maybe I'd watch games on TV but I certainly wouldn't bother to attend live games.
Reality always wins in the end.